[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never owned a car before, and I could use some help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: v70.png (977KB, 961x549px) Image search: [Google]
v70.png
977KB, 961x549px
I've never owned a car before, and I could use some help figuring out if I'm looking at a good opportunity or a total money pit.

A family member (who has previously been very trustworthy) is offering to sign over a 2001 AWD Volvo V70 XC with 175,000 miles on it for $0. Insurance and future repairs would be on me. No accidents for the car's entire history. Tires and brakes are fine, and it just passed emissions this month, but see below.

The only issues he said it had were that it's got a persistent Check Engine light on it that nobody has been able to figure out, but doesn't seem to be impacting performance in any notable way--he mentioned it's either a cracked J-hose or an ECU replacement, but otherwise he estimated it'd take somewhere around $1500/year to keep it on the road. Insurance quotes are looking like $400/six months.

The car type seems right--I'm going to be in central Pennsylvania, and it handles very well in the weather.

For context, I'm trying to optimize for reliability--I just need an A-to-B car for about a year, maybe two. Thoughts? If I'm leaving out any important info, let me know.

Picture is the car in question.
>>
80% of persistent check engine lights have been over bullshit, if it's still pushing inspections go for it, volvo wagons are cozy.
>>
File: 1461479520713.jpg (38KB, 593x333px) Image search: [Google]
1461479520713.jpg
38KB, 593x333px
>>15373025
You looking to start your own meth empire, OP?
>>
OP those year XC70s are known for costly transmission issues

I'd say take it, it's free after all. But when the tranny goes to shit move on.
>>
It'll do good with the shitty roads here.
>>
>>15373233
what this anon said. you're not taking any risk by accepting the car - nobody can force you to continue to repair the car if it gets too costly for your liking
>>
My X70 was excellent in the snow/cold and a solid daily driver, but was plagued by failiures pushing 170k miles. Since its free definitely accept it, but even if just using it for a year be prepared to invest some capital into it to keep it running. If you treat it well you'll have a great wagon.
>>
The tranny will fail if it hasn't already. Everyone, EVERYONE says beware 2000-2002 Volvos due to bad tranny
>>
>>15373214
HA. Cool.

Thanks for the insight, folks. I'll definitely take the car and keep an eye out for transmission issues. Here's to my first battlewagon.
>>
Squeezing in on the topic.

>Ausfag
>Mechanic joint has some "cheap used cars"
>One Holden Astra City Hatchback that looks old af with 175,000kms
>One Ford Focus GL that looks snazzy with 200,000kms
Thinking the Ford is the better of the two cars, both are 2 grand each and Auto with Air con.
What's the chance I'd be fucked over if I bought it?
>>
>>15373025
15 year old car? Definite moneypit.

But considering it's a Volvo, and you're only keeping it for a while, AND it's free? Take it. It's going to cost you a bunch in repairs, but any first car is unless you're a richfag. And even then, a first car SHOULD be a cheap old used car, so you have stories to tell about it.
Used cars have personality. New ones haven't had time to develop quirks yet.
>>
>>15373025
Don't do it. A responsible car owner would get the light fixed. No matter what. They probably took it to some stupid bro mechanic that just replaces parts instead of actual diagnosis.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.