[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How bad are the Mustangs with the 4.6L engines (pre coyote)?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: m-6007-3v46.jpg (41KB, 500x422px) Image search: [Google]
m-6007-3v46.jpg
41KB, 500x422px
How bad are the Mustangs with the 4.6L engines (pre coyote)?

Im thinking of getting one (07-09ish) as my first car but Im worried it wont be enough power for me

I just dont want it to feel sluggish. I could spend some more and finance a 5.0 but I think the payments might make life a bit hard for me. Id have to sacrifice a lot.
>>
No idea but every time you pull up next to a 5.0 in one you will want to kill yourself.
>>
just put a supercharger on it
>>
>>15355907

Unless it's a 4 valve like the Mach 1 then their absolute turds NA. They love boost though.
>>
The 3V 4.6 (2005-10) are fine for a fast DD. Grunty. 300hp with torque is more than enough to keep you smiling.

Avoid the autos because those 5-speeds tend to explode.
>>
>>15355939
>Avoid the autos because those 5-speeds tend to explode.
source?
not that I dont believe you but I want confirmation and more info

I'm looking for manual anyway but I was thinking if I found a good deal on an auto I would just take it
>>
>>15355949

https://www.google.com/search?q=5r55s+problems&rlz=1C1CHMD_enCA371CA371&oq=5r55s+problems&aqs=chrome.0.0l3.3309j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=5r55s+problems+site:www.modularfords.com

They've got a pretty bad reputation, especially the solenoids. A trans cooler and solenoid replacement can extend the life of the units a lot, but they're just not really built for 300+ tq
>>
>>15355986
I see...

But to be fair didnt the first thread's OP had 480 rwhp or something like that and over 400ft/lb torque
>>
>>15355907

Boost is your friend. You can spend $8k on cylinder heads and cams to make mild LSx power or you can toss on a diesel turbo and give it some more fuel to be a hero.
>>
>>15356005

Yes. But there are plenty of failures at stock power levels too.
>>
>>15355949
wouldn't you just be super disappointed with the auto?

i feel like i would be
>>
File: 42367.jpg (141KB, 1593x831px) Image search: [Google]
42367.jpg
141KB, 1593x831px
>>15355907
07 GT checking in

I dyno in at 368rwhp. Here are my power mod list

JLT 3 air intake + canned bama 93 octane tune
Hot rod cams
JBA full length ceramic long tube headers + JBA catted h pipe
charge motion delete plates
underdrive pulleys

All of the above was about $2,200 buying the parts on eBay ( genuine, no bullshit no name parts ) and using a 6% off coupon for AmericanMuscle. Stock Coyotes put out about 350-370rwhp so a race between my car and a Coyote is basically a drivers race because it's so close. The only difference is shit like better suspension to put down the power, 6 speeds gearing ( 3.55 vs 3.73 ) and power throughout the powerband. I don't really know the powerband of the Coyote compared to mine.

350-370rwhp is the highest you can get a 4.6 3v up to n/a without doing a head swap. Coyotes can get to 510-530 without head work.
>>
>>15356068
this might be an embarrassing question but I dont know about modding

is it safe to do all that to your car? does it ruin reliability? I need to drive this for at least 4 years.

Also does it hurt gas mileage?
>>
>>15356089

Not him, but it really depends on how you drive it. Even an off the shelf tune will usually produce a little better mileage than stock, though.

That said, with a 3v 4.6 turbo is really the way to go if you want to make serious power, but I bet anon there can keep his stock clutch, and with a turbo you won't.
>>
>>15356089
Nah bro, you good. Look, one year ago I was exactly in your position. I literally didn't even know how to change out my own battery. No shit. I couldn't change my own spare tire either.

Anyways, it depends on how you do the job. Generally, bolt on mods are easy and don't ruin reliability at all. The mods I did don't involve fucking with anything critical except my camshafts which are fairly easy but involve digging into the cylinder head. And yeah, it's safe. You just start small man. Gain that mechanical confidence. The first mechanical thing I did on my car was replace the alternator. A mechanic wanted $450 for the job and the part. I said fuck that and bought the alternator for $180 at a parts store, looked up a YouTube video on how to do it and did it myself. This car is very popular so there is a YouTube how to video on basically everything.

And if anything, some mods increase gas mileage such as exhaust and air intake work. Better air flow from the both = 3-6mpg more. I get 26-29mpg highway on my Stang cruise controlling at 76mph. One tank 15 gallon gets me 400-440 miles depending on the a/c use.
>>
>>15356116
A turbo is not the way to go for someone who doesn't know what they are doing lol. Not only do turbo kits cost half as much as 3v's but they are complicated to install, push your car to the edge and will destroy your shit quickly. Turbos push you right to 450-500rwhp which is the edge of this cars limits before you start needing to build the engine and tranny up.

I have 106k miles on mine. Still stock clutch and no slipping at all. I've never been stranded and haven't had to do anything major yet but I do a lot of preventive maintenance. I need to do my shocks and struts as well as my spark plugs soon..
>>
>>15356140
cool, thanks for the help man
>>
>first car

>first totalled car 2 months later
>>
Cammer swap
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.