[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would the Tucker Torpedo been a success if it was actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: 1365625888286.jpg (320KB, 1084x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1365625888286.jpg
320KB, 1084x1600px
Would the Tucker Torpedo been a success if it was actually put into production?
>>
>>15321529
How the fuck are we supposed to know?
>>
>>15321529
ive never heard of him, care to educate us?
>>
>>15321549
>>
>>15321578
guess none of us will never know because no one cares, big suprise there....
>>
>>15321549
>>15321595
Preston Thomas Tucker (September 21, 1903 – December 26, 1956) was an American automobile designer and entrepreneur.
He is most remembered for his 1948 Tucker Sedan (known as the "Tucker '48" and initially nicknamed the "Tucker Torpedo"), an automobile which introduced many features that have since become widely used in modern cars. Production of the Tucker '48 was shut down amidst scandal and controversial accusations of stock fraud on March 3, 1949. The 1988 movie Tucker: The Man and His Dream is based on Tucker's spirit and the saga surrounding the car's production.
>>
I doubt it.

>>15321595
tucker torpedo is one of the greatest small series cars to have been produced.
>>
>>15321529
I don't think so, it was way too expensive for what it was.

It's selling price was $4,000 in '49..
That's 39k in today's money.

For $2,500, aka 24 grand, you could have gotten a convertible 5 liter Straight 6 Hudson Hornet, with 145hp and 275 torque.

For $2650, aka 24.9 grand, you could have a first gen Chevy Bel-Air, sedan, coupe, convertible OR station wagon, with a 3.9L Straight six, or for a little extra, a 4.3L V8/ [later changed to a 4.6]

The Tucker 48 just couldn't compete.
[Also for the record it had a 5.4 liter flat 6 OHV that made 166hp and 372 torque]

Also it's actual production name was the Tucker 48.
>>
File: tucker-torpedo-02.jpg (55KB, 544x448px) Image search: [Google]
tucker-torpedo-02.jpg
55KB, 544x448px
>>15321549
Basically he was an inventor and into cars. After some work on engines and even a armored car for combat he tried to make his own car. Some features I find interesting
>Third headlight that turned to light up around corners
>RR drivetrain, planned on making it removable with 6 bolts for easy engine work/replacements (Reminds me of Teslas battery pack ideas)
>Disc brakes (don't think they actually made it on the car)
>Tried to make his own engine but it only made on the first prototype (I believe he switched to a flat 6)
>Independent suspension

I think its a cool car but probably would have been too expensive to actually sell. The ideas and technology were very impressive if they actually worked.
>>
Probably.
>>
>>15321654
padded dash, seat belts, safety glass

Tucker was 30 years ahead of the rest of the market on safety.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (228KB, 1920x989px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
228KB, 1920x989px
Watching Sin City: A Dame To Kill for. Been a while since I saw a movie that features an honest-to-god Tucker.
>>
>>15321654
Easy to remove power train was scrapped early on and Tucker's engine was given up on early too. The production engine was a flat 6 from a failing helicopter company.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.