[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a reliable long-lasting commuter wagon for ~6K, lower

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1999y2k.Outback.jpg (12KB, 360x200px) Image search: [Google]
1999y2k.Outback.jpg
12KB, 360x200px
Looking for a reliable long-lasting commuter wagon for ~6K, lower mileage is better, must be standard transmission. I will not be modding it, and I'm planning on taking it for lots of outdoor weekend trips, so something AWD would be best. Any suggestions? Currently my mind is set on the Subaru Outback ('99-'04)

I've seen the sticky, Merc/BMW is out of my price range, and I'm not too sure on Volvo.
>>
>>15272042
subie impreza wagon is also a good call. Honestly subies are the only thing that is both cheap and plentiful for your scenario.
>>
>>15272042
Yeah mate, you basically described a 4 cylinder Outback, and then said you were keen on the Outback.

I'd say you know what you need.
>>
>>15272042
The Subaru Outback was literally just a Subaru Legacy wagon with a lifted suspension. any 1995-2004 Legacy. Forester r Outback will suit your needs.

Also something to remember. The front/rear power split on Subaru's does vary by transmission. If you get the automatic, the split is 90/10, so it might as well be a FWD Honda Civic. The manual transmission cars though have a 50/50 split and, as a result, are MUCH better in inclement weather.
>>
>>15273678
OP, do your own research here. This poster is not entirely correct.

My outback is auto and the torque split is 45:55. They're not all the same...
>>
>>15273678
Subaru manuals are 50/50. Automatics are 60/40 and 45/55 depending on if it is a CVT or not.
>>
The split is also situational depending on the year/transmission
>>
>>15274460
>>15274494
>>15274959
90-99 Subaru automatics did have a 90/10 split, so he is correct.
>>
The outback is the way to go. My only suggestion is to check if the head gaskets have been replaced, because the original ones are paper and you start to burn oil over time
>>
>>15274991
this is wrong though
>>
+great visibility
+Tons of aftermarket support for accessories like bike and kayak racks
+Easy maintenance
+Good highway mileage
~4 cylinder will be slow but that's expected
-bad city mileage
-head gaskets could be an issue
-rust
>>
Not AWD but the Mazda 6 wagon is pretty alright.
>>
subaru outback/forrester/impreza wagon all seem like your best options. but here are some other considerations.
>Mazda protege 5 or mazda 6 wagon
Mazda 5's are cheap as fuck and they're pretty easy to work on. Some mazda 6's come with AWD, might just be the mazdaspeed version which is far out of your price range though.
>Volkswagen Passat wagon
I haven't read much about these but I have seen them with AWD and the older ones are still kicking around which seems like a good mark of a realible car. They're pretty damn ugly in my opinion.
>Audi a4 avant or Allroad
Awd with a shiney badge. I've heard the Allroad is garbage though and older audi's can be pricey to fix.
>>
>>15279418
4Motion Passats are notoriously unreliable
>>
What is an actual fair price for a 2002-2004 outback or legacy in good condition with low miles? OPs 6k price seems high to me.
>>
>>15279433
That's pretty good if the car is in great condition. I paid $3500 for a 99 Outback that has a pristine interior and exterior.
>>
>>15279433
I only listed 6K because I want an outback with low miles
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.