[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>battery is 9 months old >havent driven it in 6 months

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1464567878858s.jpg (2KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
1464567878858s.jpg
2KB, 125x93px
>battery is 9 months old
>havent driven it in 6 months
>start the car every week or 2
>start today
>lights turn on but car wont start

I'm pretty sure the car will start with a boost but can anyone provide easy mode links on how to boost a car battery and what's needed? I don't know ANYTHING about cars and figured this was the best board.

Help.
>>
>>15244170
Okay, whatcha want to do is grab a standard power cable that plugs into the wall of your house. Chop off the end that DOESN'T plug into the wall, you want a reasonable amount of length out of it. Strip off about a foot of the sheathing, and you should have either three smaller cables or two smaller cables if it was intended for something double insulated. You should have a red cable wire and black wire. Strip off an about two inches of the sheathing of the wires themselves to expose the copper conductors. Now loop the red one around the positive terminal of the car battery, and the black one around the negative terminal. Then plug the other end of your home made cable into the wall and switch it on. Done, battery should charge.
>>
>>15244170
>start the car every week or 2
>haven't driven

Never mind the battery. Throw away the car. It's fucked.
>>
>>15244198
thanks mate
>>
>>15244198
>>15244240
oh god
>>
>>15244262
am i missing something?
I'm new to all of this stuff. pls help
>>
>>15244270
It's all good. It's called Darwinism.
>>
>>15244231
this isn't the first time. although the last time the battery was really old so I had to replace it. Toyota's run like champs mate
>>
Just ask someone with jumper cables or a charger and drive the Fucking car more often or better yet sell it.

Don't plug it in to an outlet.
>>
>>15244283
>Don't plug it in to an outlet.
Stop trolling
>>
>>15244283
thank you bro.
>>
>>15244270
make sure to write a will.
>>
>>15244170
You need a set of jump cables.

>make sure positive and negative are not touching on the one end while you connect the first end
>connect positive first, then the negative. Do the same for the other end. >when disconnecting remove negative first, then positive
>also whenever working on a car always disconnect the negative

Hope that helps op.
>>
>>15244789
>also whenever working on a car always disconnect the negative

Wouldn't you disconnect the positive?

ELECTRICS, HOW DO THEY WORK? I'm scared of electrics. I get real nervous just reconnecting my battery after winter.
>>
>>15244816
No you disconnect the negative, once the ground is disconnected you can't get a shock.
>>
>>15244816
You disconnect the negative because you're robbing the whole electrical system of a ground path to the powe source. This is safer than removing the positive because obviously it's pretty easy for electricity to find a ground path on what is essentially a 4,000 lb hunk of highly conductive metal.
>>
>>15244170
>>battery is 9 months old
>>havent driven it in 6 months
>>start the car every week or 2

It such a situation, the car is not run long enough to recharge the battery of the power that was used to start the car. It takes a bit of driving to have enough time to recharge the battery. ALSO, cars draw power from the battery even when just sitting in the garage. The older cars would draw about 100mA due to the various devices, clock, car alarm, and standby circuitry. Newer cars draw a lot more and some even run the computer to monitor device status, phone home, and then go back to wait mode again.

If you have a cheap car battery charger (shumacher brand) you can charge the car battery. It should have a digital readout that shows the battery state. If you are in a rush, charge it back up to at least 77 to 80 percent each week before putting it away. It's good for the tires to roll the car to a new position so that it doesn't rest on the same spot for 6 months. the same for the shafts sitting in the valve seals because if an exterior transaxle seal becomes accustomed to deform its shape to a shaft in the same position for 6 months, it might leak more.
>>
>>15244965
>It's good for the tires to roll the car to a new position so that it doesn't rest on the same spot for 6 months.

52psi and you're fine without moving. For 6 months, anyway.
But starting the car from time to time is a real hazard.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.