[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have the opportunity to buy a 1993 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: oldsmobile.jpg (134KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
oldsmobile.jpg
134KB, 1024x768px
So I have the opportunity to buy a 1993 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme with the not so popular 3.4 v6 engine making 200hp.

the car runs and drives pretty good and I can buy it for $250. (it's my friends shitbox, he bought a new car)

anyways I want to take this car on an adventure and offroad it and beat the fuck out of it kind of like matt farah did in his all cars go to heaven series. would this be a good car to do that?

the worst thing about this car is that the rear trailing arms are very very rusted where they connect to the chassis and idk how many shocks they'd take before it seperates from the chassis.

wat do?

pic related
>>
>>15194117
Buy it. Drive it until the wheels fall off
>>
>>15194122

I don't want to drive it around town or anything. I should have specified. I kind of just want to take a vacation in this car and take it to offroad places like moab. and if it breaks just scrap it and take a rental car back home
>>
>>15194128
Don't hurt yourself doing it. You won't get far in that car. Is it front or rear drive?
>>
>>15194132

>Don't hurt yourself doing it.
>You won't get far in that car.

how would that happen and why do you say that? pls expand

and its fwd so i dunno how much fun could be had in it..
>>
>>15194143
Crashing. And getting stuck.
That's what I mean. You sound like your 17 and a newfag to cars. The second you enter mud the ride is over especially in front wheel drive.
>>
>>15194128
>plans on taking an old ass ready to die car offroading into the desert
>"If it breaks I'll just take a rental home"

Dis nigga gonna die when he realizes he has no cell phone reception and is 10 miles out into the desert with no water and a car he just deliberately broke
>>
>>15194117
>would this be a good car to do that?
No
The rear suspension uses a fiberglass leafspring. pic related. That thing snaps and the entire rear suspension collapses.

And the engine is a special snowflake that's a bitch to work on and expensive to repair. A "simple" alternator swap is an 8 hour job on that engine.

Take it from me. I spent a lot of time with an LQ1 powered W-body as my first car.
>>
>>15195204

well dang. what fun things should I do to it then? It's $250!
>>
File: LQ1 cutaway.png (545KB, 575x536px) Image search: [Google]
LQ1 cutaway.png
545KB, 575x536px
>>15196194
honestly, just get it running right, proper maintenance. On those V6's, the timing belt should be done every 60k.

They are a BLAST to drive. The engine is a rare special snowflake, but holy shit does that fucker love to rev. That 7000 rpm redline will make you forget it started life as a pushrod engine and then had a set of high flowing DOHC heads shoved on top. Pic related, a cutaway of that V6 engine

things to do:
>timing belt
>alternator (have to drop sub-frame on one side and remove passenger side suspension to access)
>check for cracks or wear in the rear leafspring. If any wear, replace entire leafspring.
>replace shocks/struts and check all rubber mounts

Do all that, make sure it's reliable and you could pull a 2k profit on it.
>>
>>15196228
also, pray that the headgaskets don't need replacing. They don't go often but the entire engine has to come out in order to get the heads off to replace those gaskets.

Look at this bay. It's pretty much all engine.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.