[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you've been wrenching your vehicle on your own, chances

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: child-labor-934900_960_720.jpg (168KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
child-labor-934900_960_720.jpg
168KB, 960x640px
If you've been wrenching your vehicle on your own, chances are you have fucked something up. Time to share.

My worst fuckup (safety wise) was not riveting my motorcycle chain correctly (didn't flatten the heads). It worked fine for a month or so, then the chain snapped while I was riding. Thank god it didn't lock the rear wheel and I was okay, could've gone lot worse.

Also recently while troubleshooting starting problems I had my alternator out in the open. I had taken the pickup coil off and when managed to install it wrong way around and wondered for a really long time why I had no spark. The flywheel actually broke part of the plastic casing but it still works, just turned it the right way around.
>>
cross threaded a brake line when i was 16. a few years ago i snapped a bolt off. I have actually done that twice though.

As of late though, I have found mechanics fucking up more shit than I ever have. I had a mechanic break a pvc pipe and not tell me about it. Found the shitty glue job next time i popped the hood.

Tire techs seem to be nearly unable to balance a tire, also had a tire tech strip two hub threads on a wheel.
>>
>>15176118
took my bike to a mech recommended through a friend "ex moto gp rider top mechanic blah blah"
this guy installs a new fan on my new radiator and a month later i have holes cut in the coils by my fan. also have electrical issues after getting it back too
>>
>>15176012
I spent three hours and bent two scewdrivers turning the oil filter 1/4 turn the wrong way.
>>
>>15176012
Tried to use a lighted 4 pole rocker switch on a three pole harness for my new offroad lights. It started to get really hot immediately and I had to pull it apart live with my bare hands before the insulation melted or caught fire. This is on blade connections so I could have zapped the hell out out of myself. Worked fine with the 3 pole of course.

I suppose that's what I get for going "Well gee, all you need is the normal dead switch to complete the circuit and then use the spare 12V out to ground the switch." Apparently the two circuits were not completely separate in the switch.

Also got a couple of drops of brake fluid that dripped into the engine bay when I was flushing my brakes the other week. Didn't matter that I wiped it off within a couple of seconds, still stripped those spots down to primer. Lesson learned. Always pack some paper towels under the master cylinder when you're doing that job.
>>
>>15176012
I'm not an idiot so I haven't fucked up.
>>
So many broken and stripped bolts. Aluminum parts suck for wrenching sometimes. Other than that and cosmetic damage while doing interior work I've been pretty lucky that my mechanical screwups havent cost me too much. Also I've fried an interior light assembly trying to tap into it for additional interior lights and accidentally hooking one up backwards. Thats why i dont smoke and do electrical mods at the same time anymore.
>>
rebuilt a 1ZZ-FE block out of a 2003 Pontiac Vibe, did everything perfectly EXCEPT did not tighten the crank pulley bolt to the specified torque

It came out about a week later and the valves were immediately destroyed
>>
Changing the battery on an E39 with those stupid little wrenches that BMW provide at the side of the road. Didn't remove the bracket across the top before undoing the live lead FIRST. Shorted the wrench out and it started welding itself to the bracket.

Had to wrap my hand in paper towels and yank that shit out before it got worse. Spanner was cherry red and sizzled in a puddle for ages.

Not my finest hour :\
>>
>>15176012
I installed a new ball joint without injecting it full of grease. I didn't know it was a normal thing for suspension items with a grease service port to come dry.
>>
File: BedfordRascal009.jpg (178KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
BedfordRascal009.jpg
178KB, 1024x768px
>>15176012
This one time, when I was cleaning my Bedford Rascal, I locked myself inside.
>>
>>15177513
Needless to say it started creaking and squeaking two months later. I replaced it with a sealed dummylast lifetime unit from autozone. They may be shit, but they're lifetime warranty shit.
>>
>>15177531
(You)
>>
>>15176012
Of course I've fucked up.

07 Yaris, Alternator bracket position sets belt tension, no tensioner.
Issue : Alternator is in an awkward spot to pull on to set tension, so I used a short pry bar.

Pry bar slipped, crushed the cam adjuster solenoid.

$100 mistake, no big deal, just delayed my drive home by an hour.
>>
>>15176012
I once tries to install a 95 f150 cab on a 93 f250. Wiring harnesses didnt match up, got no.juice from alternator, bought 3 different alternators thinking they were the problem before I figured it out.
>>
>>15177513
>>15177534
>>15177542
OH YOU
>>
File: 20140422_152811.jpg (689KB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20140422_152811.jpg
689KB, 4128x2322px
Put heads and cam on a LS6 block I pulled from a 2002 Z28. Cam bearings looked a little worse for the wear. I said fuck it and put it back together anyway. Surprise surprise oil pressure wont go above 30psi. Now its just sitting on the side of my house cause im lazy to tear it back apart again. pic related
>>
>>15176012
>implying my broke ass can afford to call a mechanic when my junk breaks
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.