[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>buying an automatic in a cheap and/or non-luxury car Why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1448934322479.jpg (43KB, 485x480px) Image search: [Google]
1448934322479.jpg
43KB, 485x480px
>buying an automatic in a cheap and/or non-luxury car

Why do people do this, aside from not knowing how to drive manual?
>>
>being too poor to afford the auto
>>
Commuter Convienience
>>
Because some people want to live in simple ignorance while being able to drink their coffee, text, and put on makeup in their shitbox instead of having to shift.

Basically because women. Women that can't afford an expensive automatic.
>>
>having a car if you are poor to begin with
Might as well take the bus to save so money there
>>
For having a comfy dd that you don't really care about too much.
>>
I've never cared for stick shift cars. They just aren't my thing.

I've driven a few manuals in the past and I don't like how long it takes to engage the gear and get moving. I like to zip around and move when I want to move.

With manual you have to re-engage 1st gear every time you stop. And that probably takes me a good 3-5 seconds. With auto you just step on it and you're gone.

You can also tell when you're behind somebody with a manual car because in the time it takes them to engage the gear and start accelerating, everybody in front of them is already gone. And every time you want to upshift you have to let off the gas, clutch in, shift, and re-engage the next gear, causing you to slow down and possibly disrupt traffic behind you. Not to mention trying to start on hills and whatnot.

Manuals just seem so antiquated in my opinion. They feel slower and less responsive compared to modern-day automatics. I don't really understand the fascination behind them, automatics take only a fraction of a second to upshift whereas a manual takes like 2-4 seconds to upshift (depending on experience or skill level, of course).

Even though you have more "control" over which gear you want to be in, it takes longer to shift and engage the gear than it would in an automatic. Most modern automatics are also pretty intuitive and are able to sense what you're trying to do depending on throttle input and the speed at which the throttle is applied.

Whenever people talk about how much they enjoy manual, I don't understand why. In my opinion, it's kind of a pain in the ass how you have to do all that work to get moving and the guy next to you in the automatic is already gone. Like, why would you row a boat when you could get one with a motor on the back for the same price.

What makes a manual car enjoyable? Maybe some people also think it makes them look "tough", or like they are a professional driver, but speaking from my experience manuals seem like a big pain in the ass.
>>
>>15160277
It's feels more engaging if you like to drive. That's the biggest difference. You're not just along for the ride. You have to actively be aware of what you want to do. It's fun if it's your thing, but it's respectable if it's not. Everything is preference. That said, your estimates for shifting are fairly exaggerated.
>>
>>15160277
>3-5 seconds to get into 1st
Jesus fucking christ what is wrong with you.
>>
>>15160200
>watching Azumanga Daioh
>>
>>15160277
>>15160449
>>15160580
It's copypasta.
>>
>>15160608
eh I googled in case and didn't get shit.
>>
File: 1317281310231.jpg (275KB, 673x604px) Image search: [Google]
1317281310231.jpg
275KB, 673x604px
>>15160213
>a five speed manual WRX for $8,000
>heavens no! Thats what poor people drive!
>muh luxury
>ill take the four speed non-responsove autotragic please! Do you think i want to look like a pleb?
>$5,000
W h y ?
>>
>>15160200
they're lazy/american.
most americans don't even consider buying manual, even on a budget. there are so many more automatics on the road driving stick is looked on as going out of your way to do more work. most people just want a comfortable ride from point a to point b.
>>
>>15160200

I wanted to get a manual saab but there was only two out of about 10 around me. One was destroyed and the other one the guy wanted 3 times what it should have been because "I know what I got" meme.

My other care only came from the factory with an automatic.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.