[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Even with a career, are "professional grade" tools

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (128KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128KB, 1500x1500px
Even with a career, are "professional grade" tools a rip off?
>>
Even without working with them I think they're worth it sometimes.
They make me feel good and they'll always be easier and nicer to use than some cheapo shit
>>
No. A "rip off" implies you were duped. While the tools on the Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell, etc. trucks are more expensive, doesn't mean they "ripped you off". If you're too stupid to know that you pay a premium for the truck coming to your shop every week and for extending credit to guys that often can't get credit anywhere else, then you are the one at fault. No one forces you to buy premium tools, but a professional technician may have very specific reasons for doing so. He is the one spending the money so why do you give a shit? You want cheap tools, go to Harbor Freight.
>>
If you're a professional, I can see the hand tools being worth it, especially wrenches. They're longer, thinner and stronger.
>>
Only for certain things that get used constantly like ratchets.

I wouldn't for instance by a professional set of hammers, gauges, picks, files, pliers, cutters, sockets, etc.
>>
>>15058633
Jesus man relax.
>>
>>15059313
This desu, the guy sounds like he's posting on a car forum

>ehlohehl
>>
>not exclusively using Grey Tools
My friend told me Matco is shit, but my other friends dad drives the local Matco truck. wat do?
>>
File: 1462823080819.jpg (105KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1462823080819.jpg
105KB, 640x640px
>>15058633
I can't wait for the day I can afford some premium lines, for now my boxes are full of Husky and Craftsmen for the most part. I do collect some other good finds from local pawnshops and the harbor freight specials, got a 110v/220v welder from Lincoln Electric last month and only spent $130 out the door for the floor model. just been at it two years now and I've got the bug but not the budget to match, it's amazing having my own garage with a house for a year and change now.
>>
>>15058633
>guy who bought snapon master sets day one detected
Paying $45 for a single 15mm wrench possibly made in taiwan (probably the same factory as 3 other brands) is exactly what I'd call getting duped.

buy mid-grade tools, whatever you can afford, and replace the ones that break with something better, but investing right away in """"professional"""" screwdrivers is full retard.

us made craftsman, sunex, williams, and a /limited amount/ of snapon master race.
>>
File: 1462936495137.jpg (17KB, 480x385px) Image search: [Google]
1462936495137.jpg
17KB, 480x385px
>>15060563
I see that stuff on my local Craigslist, does the warranty on the lifetime tools still apply if I get them used with no proof of purchase? I've been keeping packaging and receipts in fear of breaking something.
>>
Craftsman for my main tools. Harbor Freight for my consumables and job-specific tools.
>>
>>15060616
They'll honor the warranty even if you stole them. They don't give a fuck
>>
File: 1462935346102.png (130KB, 285x231px) Image search: [Google]
1462935346102.png
130KB, 285x231px
>>15060669
Haha, this gives me idea.

I'm gonna start buying this shit then, tons of trailer trash are selling tools near me for almost nothing.
>>
>>15060678
I mean, yeah. That's how most dudes with a lot of tool get them.

I buy all of my tools off craigslist. If they are wrecked, I trade them in
>>
>>15060563
>probably the same factory as 3 other brands)

404_sauce_not_found.shitpost
>>
>>15060716
shitpost? i do this shit for a living. i really dont care if you waste your money on snap on week one of the job. goodluck living paycheck to paycheck.
>>
>>15060726
If you do this "shit" for a living and worry about living pay check to paycheck because of your tool expenses, then you are "shit" at your chosen career. Maybe flipping burgers is more your speed.
>>
Depends on the tool. I have a set of Mac sockets that remove bolts that would normally be too rusted or rounded off to remove with a socket.

But S&K sockets suck. I don't know how many of them I have dealt with that cracked under normal conditions.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.