[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just discovered the transmission of my Silverado's been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Brendan-Fraser.jpg (35KB, 570x391px) Image search: [Google]
Brendan-Fraser.jpg
35KB, 570x391px
Just discovered the transmission of my Silverado's been leaking fluid really slowly. It hadn't been run without any fluid, but I am afraid my old shit wagon might be on its last legs.

How fucked am I?
>>
>>14981420
Yes. You should irrationally panic. Sell all your stocks and bonds, withdraw all your savings, write a goodbye letter to your family, and go to Vegas and drink yourself to death.
>>
>>14981420
Not very
>>
>>14981420
What year, how many miles, do you take it off road often/ever, how hard do you drive it, and how experienced are you with a wrench in your hand?
>>
>>14981420

>find where its leaking from
>probably a gasket
>replace gasket
>replace fluid
>>
Automatic transmission fluid not only cools and lubricates, the transmission also uses the fluid for its function. Meaning if you haven't felt anything weird then it still has enough to work. Check the dipstick and top off when necessary.
>>
>>14981420
Where is the leak?
The driveshaft seal or the pan seal?
What year?
You truck should have more than 10+ quarts of fluid hold up in there.

A small drip, while not good, is not life ending. A tranny could lose a quart, maybe even 2 and still not go critical.

This is why every car made should have a transmission dipstick... and YET! the manufacturers are doing away with this.
>>
>>14981460
>1994
>250k
>never
>baby it
>retard-tier
>>14981520
It seems to be coming from the pan.
>>
>>14981557
i don't think i've owned a chevy truck yet that didn't always seem to have some red fluid on the bottom of the tranny. just keep an eye on your fluid levels. if you just notice a drop or two, it's not really a huge deal. a 4l60e holds something like 15 qts of fluid total.

if it is just your pan that is leaking (common), its pretty easy to fix yourself. you can either buy a preshaped gasket or make one yourself with RTV
>>
>>14981557
>It seems to be coming from the pan.

Good easy fix, especially on old cars.

>go to harbor freight, buy a 1/2" ratchet set and a breaker bar
>also buy a fluid catch pan, funnel and some rags
>look up specs for your Silverado for bolts and the type of trans fluid
>go to auto parts store, buy tube gasket sealant and new trans fluid
>drain trans fluid
>count how many quarts you drain
>pull bolts, drop the pan
>clean shit with alcohol (Trannys love Captain Morgan) and rag, razor blade where needed
>squeeze tube on new gasket seal, follow directions
>put pan back up
>wait 1 day for gasket seal junk to harden up
>You counted how many quarts you took out?
>Now put that many NEW quarts in
>Still low?
>keep filling trans until full
>count, how many qts. out, how many qts in, how many qts. until full
>now you know how low you were
>test drive for 30 minutes
>check trans fluid level, add if needed

For about $100 you've saved yourself $1000 or more
>>
>>14981728
thank you
>>
>>14981420
Anything not TH700 is shit.
>>
>>14981420
>chebby

go to literally any junkyard and get another tranny for $500
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.