[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I was just at a checkup with my dad's 03/04 (?) Skoda

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: Skoda_Octavia_I_front_20080213.jpg (363KB, 1674x885px) Image search: [Google]
Skoda_Octavia_I_front_20080213.jpg
363KB, 1674x885px
So, I was just at a checkup with my dad's 03/04 (?) Skoda Octavia, and I'm sitting in the waiting room listening to my own music not bothering anyone, when a mechanic comes in and says;
>I'm guessing you've noticed your brakes aren't as good as they once was, huh?
So I say
>Yeah, I've been meaning to change the brake pads.
And he says;
>No, it's not the pads. It's that when you try and brake before turning the ignition on, it's hard as a rock.
And I'm sitting there with a confused look on my face as I'm thinking "Why the fuck would I need to even use the brake pad before turning the ignition on? The car is usually not moving at that point..."
So he starts trying to explain to me that since it's a diesel car it doesn't have some vacuum thing that regular cars have, and therefore it's stiff as a rock or some shit. I didn't catch much of it, as I know next to nothing about cars.

Is this something I should even care about? I guess so after the dude decided not to even look at my car after he noticed that, so...

Can anyone explain to me why this is even a big deal?

Thanks
>>
That guy is a dumbass
Stop taking your car to him
>>
What? No. Before you turn your ignition on, the vacuum booster isn't running, no matter whether it's powered by manifold vacuum or a dedicated vacuum pump (if you have a turbodiesel that may be the case). That means the brakes will be very hard to actuate. It's normal and all cars I've ever driven had it. Ask him what he was going to do about it.
>>
>>14977269
But my question, though, is does it even matter once I'm driving? Once I got in my car and drove away from there I noticed that the pedal was a little loose, as it has been for a while now, but the only thing is that I have to press a little bit harder to get more brake power, if that makes any sense, which is fine for me. Once I've changed the brake pedals that would sort itself out, so therefore I'm wondering if that particular problem with the manifold vacuum thing is even a problem.
>>
>>14977295
And also what I should do about it. He said that there may be a broken cable or a tube or something that could fix the "problem".
>>
File: 5253337.jpg (44KB, 736x490px) Image search: [Google]
5253337.jpg
44KB, 736x490px
>>14977295
If the vacuum pump is starting to fail or slowly losing pressure then you might suddenly one day find your brakes to be super hard or even worse very uncooperative

Still, its a bit weird how he'd say that its hard before turning on the ignition... I'd just ignore what he says and then just tell your dad pay a bit of close attention to the performance and feel of his brakes in the future
>>
>>14977355
Problem is, though, I have to get it fixed, or it won't pass inspection. Any easy way around this? If it's just a tube, then there's no biggie, but if it's not then what do I do?
>>
File: 0057-24808-05-0-1[1].jpg (37KB, 624x390px) Image search: [Google]
0057-24808-05-0-1[1].jpg
37KB, 624x390px
>>14977372
Well, if the pump itself is failing then it'll have to be replaced, and they're not all that cheap.

Pierburg makes decently cheap ones, ranging from $280 to $200 depending on the engine here in my country

Could you perhaps have the guy give you some quotation on eventual minimum cost and maximum cost? Or atleast have him explain to you, in better detail, why it is a problem that its stiff before turning the engine on

Also; what country?
>>
>>14977399
I'm based in Norway, and I'll check with him to see what he would charge and where to get the parts. Thanks.
>>
>It's that when you try and brake before turning the ignition on, it's hard as a rock.

HUGE chance he is taking you for an idiot and is trying to rip you off. Of course there's no vacuum with the ignition off. Take it somewhere else.
>>
>>14977411
Å faen... bruker du merkeverksted ell?
>>
>>14977454
Er en familievenn, så jeg vetta faen hva han prover på, jeg. Eller... Var arbeideren til en familievenn. Skal få no ordentlig greier på det seinere. De sendte mail til faren min, så jeg får sjekke det opp når han kommer hjem igjen, og få litt peiling på hva det egentlig er snakk om.
>>
File: 20141116_191215_resized.jpg (992KB, 1836x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20141116_191215_resized.jpg
992KB, 1836x2448px
>>14977514
Og han har faktisk godkjenning til å ta EU på sitt eget verksted?

Tror jeg ville ha kjort den til en MECA, Mekonomen eller lignende og bedt dem ta en PKK/EU kontroll for å se hva de sier
>>
>>14977547
Det glemte jeg å skrie, ja. Det er Mekonomen, så de skal vel ha litt peiling. Er en ettersjekk det er snakk om, så jeg vet ikke engang hvorfor han brydde seg om bremsene. Var ingen punkter på bremser på den originale kontrollen.
>>
I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING
>>
>>14977596
Og det får du 2'er feil på?
>>
>>14977256
wtf?
Cars brakes are always hard to actuate when they lose the vacuum from being used while off.
That's why the pedal is hard as rocks.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.