[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /o/ I have a 2007 infiniti m45s (4.5L) I haven't done

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: BMW-M3-Liberty-Walk-10.jpg (129KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
BMW-M3-Liberty-Walk-10.jpg
129KB, 1600x1000px
sup /o/

I have a 2007 infiniti m45s (4.5L)
I haven't done much too it other than putting a full Greddy exhaust system.
Problem is my cats are fucked. Not trying to take it to infiniti cause their prices are insane.

I'm trying to figure out what would be best for my car, I wanted to go with magnaflow but I can't seem to find one to fit my car. I have a mechanic friend who lives states away who recommended this one
>EASTERN CATALYTIC 41075 - this is what was reccomended, its the first result at rockauto

The mechanic I took it to said all "4" were bad. I didn't even know my car had 4. I thought it was 2.
i also don't live in cali and am a dealer so passing inspection doesnt matter to me, just want whats best for me at a good price.

tl;dr Does my car need 2 or 4 cats? and what would you recommend for an affordable cat? also direct fit or universal.

>pic unrelated
>>
straight pipe nigga
>>
File: defouler.jpg (59KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
defouler.jpg
59KB, 720x480px
>>
>>14957592
not trying to sound like a retard. I love the sound of my current exhaust.
>>
>>14957504
>4 catalytic converters

Really
>>
>>14957683
that's why I came to you guys. it didn't sound right at all.
>>
>>14957734
Two cats is pretty normal, but 4 sounds like he's either confused or trying to fuck you. Everything I search for only shows two, so it sounds like he may have miss communicated something or he's a shady mechanic. If you plan on returning, I would ask him to tell you the location of the other two since it looks like you just have one on each bank of cylinders and none on the exhaust piping under the car.
>>
Some cars may have up to 4 cats
my 4.2L A6 has 2 "precat" ( german "Vorkat" ) and 2 normal ones
>>
>>14957743
I just got off the phone with infiniti and they said there are 4. 2 are down stream, and 2 are upstream.
I guess that's the same as you >>14957758

so would the direct fit I have in my OP work for all 4?
>>
>>14957801
The cats that are downstream from sensors obviously dont matter. You can run a straight pipe there, but your upstream cats pretty much have to work
>>
>>14957801
Are you sure they were talking about cats and not the o2 sensors?
>>
>>14957828
if I run those straight pipe wont it make it loud as fuck? or what else could go wrong ignoring those
I'm trying to do this right and not skip corners.
>>14957839
positive. 4 cats are confirmed. 2 upstream 2 downstream.
>>
>>14957844
Upstream and downstream of what? You usually use that term in relation to a cat (or pre-cat and after-cat)
>>
>>14957859
I'm not sure. This is just what the tech at infiniti told me.
I think this guy gets it >>14957828
but I don't want to run straight pipe so I'm trying to see what parts I need exactly.
>>
>>14957866
I highly doubt there is a second cat downstream of all o2 sensors, it would make 0 sense for a manufacturer to do that and the ECU would have no way of monitoring it for emissions requirements. You might have a pre-cat and a regular cat on each bank.
>>
>>14957504
You drive a nice car. Keep it nice by fixing it properly or fuck off.
>>
>>14957934
thats what im trying to do anon.
I had a mechanic quote me 1400 but that was using cherry bombs so fuck all that. Guess I'll offer him 1700 or so to get a better brand to avoid having to find the correct parts.

definitely not spending over 3k with infiniti
>>
Test pipe two of them for 100 dollars and get two new hi flow cats for 300 from the very same independent muffler shop you're going to go to for this very job.
>>
>>14958337
It will sound like a louder version o your system but because you're still running two cats it won't be raucous. If not be a fag and get all four replaced for 600
>>
>>14958157
Cats don't just die (unless you're at super high mileage). They get murdered. Are you burning oil or did you have a misfire that killed the cats? I'd make sure whatever problem caused this was fixed first. Two new oem headers/precats are $1034 and the y pipe with cat is $1061. Not much more expensive and you get oem quality.

http://www.nissaninfinitiparts.com/
>>
>>14958396
I'm at 106k. I saw the dude poke a hole in the one and there was just shit all in it. My bottom o2s are bad, they dont even read at all, so I'm pretty sure those were the cause. He said there were spacers on them.

I'm looking at getting the job done for 1700 or so and getting magnaflow or flowmaster.
>>
>>14957844
Getting rid of the extra cats doesn't increase sound noticeably. Most of the volume drop comes from resonators and mufflers.

If you want to see how many cats you have, get a flashlight and look.

A cat can be cut out and replaced with a generic for much cheaper btw.
>>
>>14958457
I have a full Greddy system, it's loud but nothing like a fart can or anything. If it got any louder it would be an annoyance. From what I know, v8s get loud as hell when you cut the cats.

I'm definitely going aftermarket. The factory ones are just stupid expensive.
>>
>>14958448
O2 sensors don't kill cats.
>>
>>14958448
Either someone is giving you bad information or you are misinterpreting it. If the o2 sensors are bad, or have spacers on them, how can he know the cats are bad, did he sniff the car? If he sniffed it how does he know both of the apparent two cats on each bank are bad? The information isn't adding up. Are you in a smog state and the car isn't completing the monitor for the cats on both sides? If not what do you need the cats for, what is the issue that caused you to go into the shop in the first place, do you have a check engine light on?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.