[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've got a head unit question. I have pic related and i'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: x500HD137BT-F.jpg (85KB, 1000x306px) Image search: [Google]
x500HD137BT-F.jpg
85KB, 1000x306px
I've got a head unit question. I have pic related and i'm trying to install it in my 2002 WRX.

I got a Subaru wiring harness and matched all the wires except for the orange 'illumination' wire, as i've been told that it causes issues.

I get power, but no sound. From reading up on the problem, it sounds like I need to connect a 'remote amp start' wire. There is one on the head unit harness, but not one on the Subaru harness I bought. I can see the blue/white wire, which is designated as the remote amp wire on the head unit connection schematic, on the car's harness (that you plug the adapter harness into).

My question is: Did I buy the wrong wiring harness or do I need to cut and splice the wire behind the harness plug into the head unit's harness directly? I'd obviously prefer to not mess with the stock wiring or connectors.
>>
File: Subaru_plug.jpg (96KB, 744x534px) Image search: [Google]
Subaru_plug.jpg
96KB, 744x534px
Found a chart of the pins in the connectors. According to this, there actually is no remote amp on wire in the factory harness.
So what could I be missing?
>>
If memory serves, you don't have a remote wire in the stock harness. You may need to tap into the ignition wire, in the ignition of course. Or, you could tap into the wire that runs from your radio fuse in your fuseblock. You just need something that's 12V that turns on when you turn on your key.
>>
>>14954252
So since my cigarette lighter up front is only on when the key is turned, I could wire the head unit to that power source using the remote wire from the head unit's harness?
>>
>>14954263

I doubt it would hurt anything. Worse come to worse, you test the wire out on it and it blows a fuse in the fuseblock. The remote amp wire is that exact blue with white stripe wire. Power sent to it starts the amp internally when it detects 12V.

Give it a shot and let us know.
>>
>>14954290
Interesting. So ideally the head unit would detect the 12v from the cigarette lighter and then tell the amp in the car to turn on?
I'll give it a try tomorrow!
>>
>>14954332
Uh, if your car has an amplifier running the speakers what you doing by sending it a full power signal from the head units amp? Are you using your pre-outs or did you install a line out converter?
>>
>>14954378
Everything is stock but the head unit. I'm not using pre-outs or a line converter. I was under the assumption that the rca jacks on the back were for a whole aftermarket sound system setup. The car I grabbed the HU from had a whole crazy setup and that's what they were hooked up to.
>>
>>14954511
So you are going to feed a high voltage signal into the amplifier's input? I mean if you have read on the forums that will work with your amp then go for it but that is a good way to fry an amplifier. Normal amp inputs are 5V whereas you will be feeding it around 20V+.
>>
>>14954511
So not saying it won't work but the wires you are connecting to are already fed from the internal amplifier in the head unit and are meant to be directly connected to speakers. What your OEM unit did, and what the line out converters or RCA jacks are for, is a low voltage pre-amp signal meant to connect to an amplifier.

Now when I was young and didn't know better I did exactly what you did and I am pretty sure all I did was fry my amplifier and it simply passed the signal from my head unit straight through to the speakers.

I would read up on some subaru forums before firing that thing up.
>>
>>14954584
I'm pretty sure i'm not connecting anything directly to an amp though.
Referring to what >>14954252
said
>>
>>14955343
you absolutely are. unless you are using the RCA jacks off the back of the stereo those wires are coming off the internal amplifier inside the new stereo and are full power. you are connecting powered wires from your head unit amp to the input of your subaru's amp
>>
>>14955382
and i'm not talking about the remote wire btw, i'm talking about the speaker's wires.
>>
>>14955403
Right. I'm talking about connecting the remote wire to the power source (because as of now it's just unused).

>and i'm not talking about the remote wire btw, i'm talking about the speaker's wires.

So you're saying that by doing that I'm plugging full power into the amp or the opposite?
>>
>>14955492
Your remote wire is fine but yes, you are plugging full power into the OEM amplifiers speaker input lines. Those speaker lines off the back of your head unit in that connector you pictured are full power and can drive speakers on their own. Whether doing this will work fine or destroy your OEM amp I am unsure of. I'd do some research before just powering that thing up. You may need to install a line out converter or use the RCA lines to connect from your head unit to OEM amplifier.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.