[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought my first carand I couldn't be happier, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: image.png (111KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
111KB, 2560x1600px
I just bought my first carand I couldn't be happier, but something has been bothering me since I don't know much about cars themselves.

Is unleaded gas a meme or should I be worried? I constantly put gas in a westar nearby and it says super unleaded and its just 1.85.

It's just a meme right guys, I shouldn't be worried... right?
>>
>>14914590
Super unleaded makes your car go faster.

Be careful you don't get a speeding ticket.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>14914592
The fuck?
>>
What is the meme about unleaded?

Cars before were built with shitty tolerances, and the engines needed lead to help it perform better. These days, you cant use lead due to the damage it causes the catalyst, but also because you really don't need to use it anymore.
>>
>>14914607
Why unleaded cheaper though, I don't get it.
I see places with just regular and are like 2.33 or something.
>>
>>14914635
It's unleaded, but all gas is unleaded now. Regular, premium, and super unleaded have different octane levels. So you pick the octane level that the manufacturer tells you. If you use a lower octane than they say you'll lose power, a higher octane than they tell you and you are just spending money on nothing.
>>
File: valve4.jpg (143KB, 855x559px) Image search: [Google]
valve4.jpg
143KB, 855x559px
>>14914590
lead was used in (old) engines because the exhaust valve's would overheat & melt/deform. lead cooled it a bit off to prevent that from happening. now valve's are made out of a much harder type of steel which can withstand the intense heat.

but if you have an old car which is supposed to use lead, you can still drive it without problems. just keep it on low revs. and if you want you can convert your engine to unleaded.
>>
>>14914656
You are the man, thanks.
>>
>>14914708
>convert engine
ayy glad im not a ricer cuck
>>
>>14914724
it's not really that big a job, just change the valves and valve seats and it's done.
>>
>>14914730
How much would you charge for it?
>>
>>14914735
take a look at this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFSTc50nPrQ
>>
>>14914607
>shitty tolerances
No. Engines built before 1972-ish didn't have hardened seats for the exhaust valves. The lead was used to cool and lubricate the valve as it opened and closed.

If you run and old engine for long periods of time and/or high load with unleaded gas the exhaust valves will eventually hammer themselves into the head and "sink" causing a loss of compression.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.