[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't they make old models brand new in factories today?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 11

File: Audi-Quattro1.jpg (38KB, 671x411px) Image search: [Google]
Audi-Quattro1.jpg
38KB, 671x411px
Why don't they make old models brand new in factories today?

Honda, Toyota, BMW, etc all could make old models and mark them up for being reproductions and sell them like hotcakes.
>>
Safety regulations. Somehow Delorean is doing it though so it may become a thing if that's successful.
>>
>>14899420
>emissions
>Safety
>Mileage
>Outdated technology
>>
because literally no one cares about old models anymore.

investors care about money and the amount of people wanting old cars newly produced is almost not measurable for them, also like already said, safety regs.

additionally most people think they look hideous (I don't but most car buyers today are complete fags or women)
>>
why would you want some old piece of shit when you can have a better, newer car
>>
>>14899420
>and sell them like hotcakes.
getting a whole production going for 50 /o/ users isn't worth it.
>>
File: 898354657.jpg (310KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
898354657.jpg
310KB, 1600x900px
If you have a shit-ton of money why not just pay them to completely rebuild you whatever car you most want? (obviously they can't rebuild you limited edition cars like Ferrari Enzo or Ford GT without making them a kit-car or something)

But say you wanted a remake of a GMC Typhoon or a Mercury Marauder or any expensive and or mundane car you can think of (no limits even a twingo). and wanted them to fix any flaws the original car had and possibly add your own touches to make them better while still keeping the same engine and whatnot.

Money talks and i assume if you wanted it badly enough you could potentially pay hundreds of thousands if not millions for it to happen.
>>
File: 9832432.jpg (333KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
9832432.jpg
333KB, 1920x1080px
>>14899559

Id also like to add that you'd be building just 1 car specifically for you not starting the production process all over again.

I figure this would be possible with enough money since they made the Dark Knight Bat-mobile when they said "it couldn't be done" and it was actually fully functional albeit probably not street-legal.
>>
File: unnamed (1).png (56KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).png
56KB, 300x169px
Some do
>>
>>14899420
Enthusiasts ight care,but they are a small demographic.
Investors don't give a shit because innovation has much more value than preservation. Even if said innovation is shallow.
Not to mention a lot of old or classic cars that are popular and hard to find are some that were discontinued, or were made by brands that are now defunct because that makes them rare, so getting the rights to the name and such might be too much a hassle for too little a profit.
Though it will be interesting to see how Delorean, Alpine and trabant being revived will turn out.
>>
>>14899444
>>14899458
>>14899477

Guys the components under the hood doesn't have to be old, you can simply put engines and trans off the assembly line for the modern cars being made into the old reproduction shells.
>>
>>14899559
Almost like the Sultan of Brunei who can custom order cars from manufacturers
>>
>>14899420
They'd either be unaffordable or they would be completely unprofitable. A car has to sell to the mass market (see: BMW).

Besides that the old models wouldn't sell not because of the exterior, but because their interiors would be considered spartan for a 2016 car.
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 480x98px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 480x98px
>>14899645
The bodyshells wouldn't meet regulations and would have to modified to the extent that they would basically look like new vehicles anyway.
>>
>>14899420
Basically, this; >>14899458

Because they'd be made this year they would have to conform to a bunch of regulations that didn't exist when the car was made, causing them to re-engineer the things. The end result wouldn't be a car you wanted anyway.

The closest this has ever come to reality was Jaguar found a bunch of old E-Type racing bodies in a warehouse. Made out of aluminium, there were the same stuff they built the racecars out of. So they slapped them together with other E type parts to make a special run of superlight E-types. But because none of these cars were technically made in 1963, they're not road legal.
>>
Even before you go into regulatory issues, it's not like auto manufacturers have idle factory capacity just sitting ready to resume making old cars. Every car model needs expensive factory tooling, supply chains for parts and materials, and all manner of other nontrivial shit to get going.

The closest you can get to this sort of thing would be old models that just stayed in production for a long time. The "original" VW beetle continued production in Mexico until 2004, and the T2 Bus was still sold in Brazil up until just a few years ago.

Worthy models do get reproduced or cloned by third parties, like the Lotus 7 or the AC (Shelby) Cobra.

>>14899444
I believe Delorean gets away with this by some combination of low production numbers and "new old stock" parts. And even then, they're fuckexpensive.

>>14899645
I think you're making that out to be a lot simpler than it is. Remeber that any kind of retrofit means R&D, which means cost. It's never as simple as just firing up an old assembly line.

Also, fitting a modern engine into an old car usually means more power than the original chassis and other components were ever designed to handle. Thus, making that work usually requires updating or re-designing other parts. It'd be a mess in a production setting.
>>
File: lightweight_e-type_130_0.jpg (82KB, 1013x675px) Image search: [Google]
lightweight_e-type_130_0.jpg
82KB, 1013x675px
>>14900435
>The closest this has ever come to reality was Jaguar found a bunch of old E-Type racing bodies in a warehouse. Made out of aluminium, there were the same stuff they built the racecars out of. So they slapped them together with other E type parts to make a special run of superlight E-types. But because none of these cars were technically made in 1963, they're not road legal.

That's not true they had the VINs for six unbuilt cars, so could legally build and sell brand new cars because they already existed technically.
>>
>>14899477
Newer doesn't mean better you dumb fuck.
>>
>>14900374
But why do modern cars look so bloated? They don't have sleek lines anymore. Even if you'd have to strengthen the bodyshells, that shit would still be a few more millimeters of steel, that's practically invisible from the outside. They just keep inflating the car shapes with an air pump so they look like the car has bad congestion. When have you last seen a hood that was simply flat and didn't bulge upwards somehow?
>>
File: Untitled.png (241KB, 705x587px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
241KB, 705x587px
>>14900751
>>
>>14900559
I was reading up on them after I posted that. Because it's such a high profile/low number case (easy to follow each car) some nanny states/countries probably won't allow it.
>>
File: e30 side.jpg (127KB, 1024x428px) Image search: [Google]
e30 side.jpg
127KB, 1024x428px
>>14900759
Thanks for proving my point. See that ridge where the hood goes up in your picture? Compare with this one. Exactly what I mean. I'd be fine if they just made the hood that high in the first place. Fuck off with the bulges, I want flat planes.
>>
There are third partys that build replicas, for example there is a company that builds audi quattros just like walter röhrl raced in group b for like 200000€
>>
>>14900778
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=216746840
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (68KB, 1024x428px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
68KB, 1024x428px
>>14900765
did you even read the post?
>a minimum if 20mm of clearance is required between the underside of the hood and the highest part of the engine
>>
>>14900802
Did you even read my post?
>I'd be fine if they just made the hood that high in the first place.
INSTEAD of bulging it, obviously.
>>
File: 8534599146_8bcf67e0dd.jpg (146KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
8534599146_8bcf67e0dd.jpg
146KB, 500x375px
>>14900778
those are based on existing 1980s cars that are heavily modified, like singer does.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (92KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
92KB, 1024x683px
>>14900806
but that looks like shit
>>
To all the naysayers. If they remade the CRX or Integra GSR, they would have an army of spics clawing their doors for it. Just saying.
>>
Low volume production cars don't have to meet the same regulations, it's why you still have new lotus 7s still being made. All the design and engineering is done for you, all you have to do is copy it with improved manufacturing techniques then hope people are willing to pay 100k for a new 30 year old classic car.
>>
>>14900902
shit son
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.