[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just installed o/r x pipes in my Stang it sounds great at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

I just installed o/r x pipes in my Stang it sounds great at WOT but it sucks for everything else.

It sounds like it has low hissing coming from the bottom of the dash. Is this normal? I have to be extremely gentle on the gas or I'll hear and it sounds like a loud low hissing sound and like a metallic gurgle tin swoosh sound. I tightened those bolts on the exhaust flange gasket with a massive breaker bar - there is no way they are loose, leaking or anything.

Will getting high flow cats get rid of this? I like the way it sounds from the back but sound inside the cabin is just dreadful. It's definitely coming from the headers. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8WDW2dwBRI

I'm in 5th gear so you can hear it. It's harder to hear so you might need headphones. You can hear it good around 11-16 seconds. It's the metallic tin gurgle sound. I'm putting the phone right around my shifter as the sound comes from the center low dash.

I'm at like 1500rpms @ 5th gear mashing down the gas so the tach isn't even climbing. What is it?
>>
>stang

die
>>
professional auto tech here....

that sounds like a classic exhaust leak. a breaker bar? good lord how tight did you zip those down? you may have just cranked em too much, basically making the gasket fail. there's torque specs for a reason. overtightening tends to fuck up gaskets, doesnt matter if its even the metal kinds that go on exhaust headers.

do you have a hole in your pipes somewhere?

any chance you can do a smoke test on it and see if its leaking?
>>
white trash with a fox body here

slap some jb weld on it
>>
File: workride.jpg (42KB, 748x561px) Image search: [Google]
workride.jpg
42KB, 748x561px
^ tech poster from above here, maybe i should have read ur entire post before i replied. lol.

sounds like its coming from the dash eh? i would bet you have either a hole/leak in the pipes or o2 sensors somewhere, or your hangers are jiggling/loose so as you give it some gas you're hearing it shimmer around.

does this sound happen at idle, revving it up? do that.

when you're diagnosing stuff on cars, check for consistency when reproducing the problem.

if you're getting this same sound at idle, i would bet its just a leak.

if you only get it while moving, id bet its a hanger or something.

idk hard to diagnose through a 29 second dark video on youtube.
>>
>>14885541
Agree with the tech.. Things have torque limits for a reason. Also metal expands when heated, so if it's too tight and had no where to go, it might open out
>>
>>14885788
>any chance you can do a smoke test on it and see if its leaking?

How much do these typically cost? I'm a little tight on money right now. How much do shops charge for a smoke test or to find a leak?

So that sound isn't normal, right? I used a massive breakbar attached to another massive breaker bar for maximum torque. Also, there is about a one inch gap from the header to the midpipe flange in the pic. It didn't go all the way up.
>>
>>14885825
>I used a massive breakbar attached to another massive breaker bar for maximum torque
There's your issue then, dumbass. Torque specs. Use them.

You probably need a new gasket. I'd replace the bolts too, unless you feel like drilling a bolt out of your engine block.
>>
>>14885812
The guide here told me to do it as tight as humanly possible. It's not retard tight. It's tight to the point where it makes noise if I tighten it more.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-offroad-xpipe-0510gt-install.html

What do you mean in the o2 sensors? Like I didn't tighten the o2 sensors? I used a massive monkey wrench with all the torque in the world to tighten those.

I do not get it while idle. Only whenever I mash the gas down. Doesn't matter what rpms I'm in or what gear. I can be at 1500 @ 5th gear and hit the gas a little too hard and you'll hear the sound.

I just wanted you guys to hear the gurgle tin sound. You heard it and know what I'm talking about, right?
>>
>>14885825
tech here again. oh dear jesus.

you did NOT need to torque that down that much bro. you done goofed. i only use breaker bar combos like that when ive got a CV axle nut rusted on and my 600ft-lb breakway torque impact gun wont zip it off.....you used some serious force on those. i highly suggest you take the time to take them all off again, inspect your (probably) fucked gaskets and tightent them down to spec.

also if you have a gap between your header and your flange thats gonna leak bro. its gonna leak a lot, im surprised your not getting flat feeling power at high RPMs. you didn't install it correctly. there shouldn't be any gaps in your pipes at all from header to cats to muffler.

it just sounds like you're kinda newer to this shit, dont worry. you learn as you go. i had to fuck up a million things to learn all that i have, and i still dont htink i know enough.
>>
>>14885854
let me also further explain that you never ever ever EVER wanna just go for getting everything tight as fuck.

think about it man. you're essentially screwing/bolting down a piece of metal onto another piece of metal. these things have tolerances, too loose and it just wont work, too tight and you break shit.

you did it way way too tight.

"as tight as humanly possible" is terrible on working on your car, i dont give a fuck if its even the lugnuts or motor mount bolts. NEVER do something that tight.

do yourself a favor: look up torque specs for the shit you're working on. go to vatozone and get a torque wrench, learn to use it. when you compare the torque specs the manuals call for versus when you hear that torque wrench click, your jaw will drop when you realize how tight you've been installing things.

let me say again: too lose is bad...

but too TIGHT is much worse, thats how you break header studs and find yourself drilling into your motor causing more pain and heart ache.

yes i do hear the sound you're talking about, i think its because you have a gap in your pipes at your flange like you posted about.
>>
>>14885854
I don't have gaskets on my headers leading to the midpie man.

The flange literally will not go up all the way to contact the header. I didn't put a gasket on it. The installation directions that came with it didn't say so.

How do I check for an exhaust leak?
>>
>>14885894
its not gonna have a gasket at that point, it should have a triangular bracket (im going off memory here bear with me) with 2 studs where you connect the pipes nice and tight; female sliding into male and then tightened down with with the nuts.

when you've been around cars for a while you can tell the distinct sound of an exhaust leak

a smoke test is something shops do to test your emissions systems to see if they are leaking (egr valve, charcoal canister, pipes, etc) its a relatively cheap thing to perform.

really if i were you, and im being totally real with you bro, coming from a professional, id take your car into a shop. explain to them that you installed these pipes, and you think you didnt do it right and share with them how hard you tightened things down.

they are gonna smirk at you, maybe crack a joke but they are just fucking with you. they will help you out. they shouldnt ask too much money to take a peak at it, and if its obviously visually apparent then some shops will just inspect it and tell you for free.
>>
>>14885806
Poor college kid with a fox body here

Slap some jb weld on it
>>
>>14885936
>its not gonna have a gasket at that point, it should have a triangular bracket (im going off memory here bear with me) with 2 studs where you connect the pipes nice and tight; female sliding into male and then tightened down with with the nut

Are those flanges suppose to make contact with the header?
>>
You just posted this on the misc, if you dont know what you're doing just pay a shop $100 for the install, probably be less for just a catless midpipe. Never go full retard on tightening bolts. No high flow cats won't do anything except slightly lower the odor from not having cats, if you're in a state that does a sniffer tests you still might fail. Check the connection between the headers and the mid pipe.
>>
>>14885986
If you fucked up the gaskets or flanges they sent you contact AM and ask for another pair.
>>
If it was a leak wouldn't you hear it at idle instead of just under load?
>>
File: image.jpg (172KB, 1020x735px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172KB, 1020x735px
I know exactly what you are talking about.

It's not a leak. It's how all o/r x pipes sound. It's the nature of the beast. It sounds bad form the inside but that can't be heard on the outside. Trust me.

You'll learn to embrace it.
>>
File: up the shut fuck.jpg (64KB, 420x412px) Image search: [Google]
up the shut fuck.jpg
64KB, 420x412px
This "tech" guy sounds like a fucking hack.

>bro too tight bro
>you fucked it up man
>leave it to the pros kid
>i've been around cars a while bro
>for real bro i can tell from that clip with horrendous audio quality
>>
File: 1461127470326.gif (3MB, 200x180px) Image search: [Google]
1461127470326.gif
3MB, 200x180px
>MAXIMUM TORQUE
>>
Fwiw, he advised reusisng a gasket that had been torqued to the moon.

Once a gasket had been crushed, its not like it's gonna poof back out when you pull it off.
>>
>>14885806
/thread
>>
Lol a mustanng.
>>
>>14885541
>x-pipe
Should have gone h-pipe for dat glorious noise, even if you lose single digits hp.
>>
>>14885541
That what orxs sound like when you got a straight pipe to muffler exhaust setup.. There's going to be adverse effects on sound when you deresonate AND decat... Normally you do one or the other.. I have the same setup on a gs400 but I like it because if not that then it's typical Lexus sterility and boredom
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.