[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Flooding in houston. >Drove through about 6-10 inches

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

>Flooding in houston.
>Drove through about 6-10 inches water in 2000 ford focus wagon.
>Day later smoking like crazy from engine compartment
> check oil. Looks good. No discoloration still fresh from change 2 weeks ago
> checked coolant. Looks good.
>Doesn't smoke when first turn car on and let idle for 10 minutes.
> after driving for 5 minutes or so it billows smoke like a factory from engine compartment and when at stop like it eill rarely feel rough like it's bogging down.
> This does not happen when car is first turned on and idled for a bit.

Any idea folks?
>>
You didn't think to try and see there the smoke is coming from?
>>
Radiator and belt area
>>
>>14881019
Does it smell like syrup?
>>
>>14881028
No. Just has a burning smell. But oil looks fantastic.
>>
>>14880991
Oil is on something. Something is leaking.

Maybe a hose is cracked and its only splitting once its under heat?

I mean, get a video of the smoke or pictures or something you know.

There's many things that could cause it, looking with your eyes is the best way to find out
>>
>>14880991
A fish or floating dead animal got jammed up next to your cat.
>>
>>14880991
>thing that get very hot
>got covered in some random shit
>its making smoke
>random shit didnt get into engine

uhh, a stick, mud, a human turd jammed up against your exhaust would do the same thing.

how long have you driven it once hot? it will eventually bake off your exhaust but you should take off the exhaust manifold heat shield and check under there.

figure out where the smoke is coming from. take pictures of engine. what color is smoke?

>>14881019
>front of engine
that's a pretty big place anon.
>>
>>14880991

You most probably took some water through the intake and either made some damage to one or more rods and a cylinder isn't burning up correctly or you've damaged the rings.

Textbook symptoms of one of the issues. Or even the two combined.

Good job OP. Hope you've got a fat wallet.
>>
>>14881103
>concerned about ingestion
in less than a foot of water?

No, OP's probably got a mass of wet leaves cooking on an exhaust pipe. Doesn't the exhaust on the Focuses run out the front and under the block like some other transverse I4s?
>>
>>14881082
Smoke is white. Smells has a light oil smell but maybe just my nose playing tricks.

I drove it about 5 miles and then returned home.

>>14881103
Man I hope not. Really dont want to dump a lot of cash on this as I'm wanting to get a newer vechile soon
>>
>>14881126

That car has the intake placed low in the bumper.

Plus, 10 inches is practically a foot. Plus people tend to under evaluate stuff like that.

All his symptoms point to what was said.
>>
>>14881149
My intake is above the radiator.
>>
>>14881131

All the symptoms you depict, as said, are the textbook signs of rings/rods damage.

And if you top it up by saying it has a light oil smell, that pretty much confirms it.
>>
>>14881149
>>14881103
He would see some sign in his water or oil, the car wouldn't need to heat up to start smoking and the smoke would be from the exhaust.
>>
>>14881158

That's the airbox jocko. From the airbox you'll have a pipe that will connect to a small slot fitted under and right to the right headlight, iirc.

Pretty easy to have water ingested in a foot of water if you haven't gone through it like a snail.
>>
>>14881167

No he wouldn't. A bent rod or ring damage doesn't pose any issues to the oil/water.

The water has its own circuit and he hasn't cracked the block. Same for the oil.

The smoke he complains though, is easily caused by improper combustion due to a bent rod and or damaged rigs allowing for oil to go into the combustion chamber.
>>
>>14881179
...and it's coming out in his engine compartment rather than the exhaust because why exactly?
>>
>>14881179
My coolant is clean though. There is no oil in it.
>>
>>14881149
There might be a tube that goes down there, but they're specifically designed to trap water.

Also, OP's car would run like shit or not operate at all and it would be immediately apparent that bent rods were the problem by the way it idles, his oil would be contaminated, and it probably would not operate for 10 minutes. Read the post again. You're jumping off the deep end.
>>
>>14881131
just run the engine in idle for an hour to bake off the water.

if you had ingested water in your intake you would have hydrolocked the engine and it would have stalled right after the puddle.

also if you dont try to clean off whatever is smoking around your engine it may catch fire when you run the engine. just a warning.

I had to redo my rocker cover gasket the other day and just degreasing the surface, some dribbled onto the exhaust. took about 30 minutes of running before the exhaust header stopped smoking.

water in your oil will net you big billows of white smoke out the tailpipe.

the only other posibility is that you have a cracked head gasket from dipping your hot engine in cold water so now water is leaking out of the cracked gasket, pissing over the exhaust.

water, coolant or light oil is white smoke. blue is engine oil. black is too much fuel.
>>
>>14881211
If I cracked my head. Wouldn't the car pverheat? Also. How can I tell I cracked it?
>>
>>14881187

Didn't read that.

In that cause, being since hes an american and the car most probably is an auto, check the bellhousing/converter/gearbox.

>>14881199

Jesus fuck you stupid tard. Coolant only gets oil mixed in if you either crack or block or burn the headgasket.

>>14881202

They're designed to. Doesn't mean they can avoid it 100% . I've had to rebuild a couple engines because the (as mostly women lel) idiot that was driving them thought they were water proof.

As for you second phrase, that's a nope also. I've seen cases, and had a car Jan 2015 come in with the exact same issue. It took some water, not enough to hydrolock though, but enough to slightly bend a rod. It would run, slightly lumpy, would smoke and misfire under heavy load. Other than that, for a layman, it would idle perfectly.

>>14881211

Again nope. Water ingestion doesn't absolutely mean hydrolock.

He could start his car, let it warm up, as in, really warm up, and put his hand over the exhaust and see what kind of residue/smell it is leaving.
>>
>>14881219

Watch the coolant level. A severe crack and it dips fast and smoke. A not so severe crack and it will take days to drop the level and you might not even see smoke.

If you've got an oil passage, the coolant gets murky, like soiled milk consistency and brown.

Hardly doubt thats your issue.
>>
>>14881199
Is there any water left in the engine bay? I'm thinking maybe you've got a big puddle trapped in a molding buttress or some screwholes, and it's boiling off.

>>14881219
Yes, you'd have serious cooling issues and possibly oil contamination. If the car runs and is perfectly drivable (has the engine note changed? is it any less smooth that it was before? Hear any weird sounds from the tailpipe? Coolant temp stays level?) I'd say you're mechanically fine and wet debris is causing the smoke.
>>
>>14881234
Car sounds normal. Doesnt smoke from tailpipe. Doesn't sputter.
>>
>>14881251

Then get a freaking flashlight and inspect the engine compartment for the smoke origin instead of coming to a vietnamese hand painted image board asking for people to guess your issues.

Or, being it is a Ford Focus, just set it on fire.
>>
>>14881219
not necessarily. I said gasket btw anyway. usually gasket failures are not catastrophic unless you're boosted over 9000psi. they usually fail by just developping a tiny crack or the head lifting away slightly from the block from the metal warping. this means the seal gets slightly broken and you get a tiny squirt every so often out the tiny void.

>>14881220
oh deffinitely agree. hydrolock is hard. like fill your engine with water hard. a cup of will usually not hurt an engine. but since we're talking about driving an engine through deep water, a failed sump gasket for example would mean the sump would fill with plenty of water to hydrolock.(spingy things in head stop being springy things because they're full of water instead of oil OP anon) engines are internally cleaned by spraying small amounts of water in to the intake. so a little bit of spray wont kill an engine. but I was just trying to explain that if water had gotten into the engine from driving through a deep puddle then it would be fucked.
>>
>>14881251
Even under load?
Sounds good to me. Guess you've got a mass of burnt crap to find.
>>
>>14881264

And stop driving through puddles that are deeper than half your wheel height like a retard unless your life depends on it.
>>
File: mittens.jpg (72KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
mittens.jpg
72KB, 800x600px
>>14881263
and by tiny I mean you might need to top up your coolant once a month with daily driving kind of tiny squirts. so yeah, check your engine bay for turds. cats and small animals also like to sit in warm engine bays. I have amputated a few kitties. lived in a place that was cold and had a high density of stupid cats so I would need to check the engine bay every time I started the car to chase the dumb fuckers away. check out the position of this cats tail.
>>
>>14881263
>deep water
less than a foot is not deep water

On a 2000 Focus, with a ride height of 6 inches, 10 inches of water should be nothing.
>>
First things first have you confirmed it's not steam?
>>
>>14881292
yeah but people were saying the puddle killed the engine and smashed apart his rods. I was explaining what would happen if this was true. he wouldnt be able to drive it home.
>>
>>14881292

10 inches of water according to OP

Wanna bet it was a lot more than 10 inches?
>>
>>14881285
>I would need to check the engine bay every time I started the car to chase the dumb fuckers away
Or just give one brief warning horn. Sends them scattering
>>
>>14881292
>with a ride height of 6 inches, 10 inches of water should be nothing.

fyi cars are not designed to be submerged at all.
>>
I just drove it another 5 miles. Not smoking anymore and it sounds fine. Thanks for all the info and help guys.
>>
>>14881346

Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>14881126

The Kia Sportage has it's resonator down right infront of the left front wheel.

If you roll up on to a parking stop you could potentially crack it and in 10" of water it is part way up the resonator.

You wouldn't imagine how easy it is to suck up water in most crossovers, let alone a car.
>>
>>14881315
The Focus wagon rides at exactly 6.7 inches, so based on that, we can conclude that the water depth was likely greater than that, assuming OP's estimation was based on his vehicle's proportions.

>>14881346
You should wash the engine bay. Who the fuck knows what was in that floodwater?
>>
File: garreth.jpg (7KB, 90x160px) Image search: [Google]
garreth.jpg
7KB, 90x160px
>>14881364
>suck up water
>resonator
>>
File: cai_1433950483822.gif (9KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
cai_1433950483822.gif
9KB, 400x240px
>>14881364
Okay, but that's not OP's car, and is clearly a design flaw, probably intentional, as it's a Kia.

In the 2000 Focus, the airbox intake is at top of the grille. 10 inches is fuck-all.
>>
>>14881415
Go fuck yourself.
>>14881350
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.