[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are drilled brake discs a meme? I've just got normal brake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11

File: meme.jpg (27KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
27KB, 400x300px
Are drilled brake discs a meme?

I've just got normal brake discs, and I have no idea what kind of pads as I'm not the original owner. When driving hard, I pretty much have to press the pedal to the floor to get any stopping power after maybe half an hour.

Do drilled discs do anything or are they just money grabbing? Would the 'drilled' spiralling shape point forward on both sides or would they be asymmetric?
>>
>>14879007
drilled rotors are indeed a meme.
start with replacing your brake fluid (better fluid will increase boiling point) and doing a proper bleed, a good set of brake pads, and stainless steel brake lines. Then move on to better tires to improve your braking.
>>
>>14879026
I hear that on the board a lot but what I don't understand is if drilled or slotted brakes are a meme then why do you find them on high performance cars?

AMG, Porche, etc use them. Why would the bother it it's a "meme"
>>
>>14879068
>Why would the bother it it's a "meme"
MUH STYLE

Also to make extra money from schmucks because drilled rotors can be problematic to cut so they just sell them new ones
>>
>>14879068
because it looks cool.
>>
>>14879075
>>14879095
You guys think the engineers of high performance cars add them because it looks good?

Really?
>>
>>14879136

No because muh autism weight savings
>>
File: s0404161848a.jpg (341KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
s0404161848a.jpg
341KB, 1200x675px
extreme high performance cars generally run floating ceramic brakes. anything less is for casual track and street use. then when youre talking upgraded bbks its not easy finding a two-piece rotor design that isnt slotted, drilled, or both, especially if its a floating design, so i have to believe theres some merit to it.

ive heard that if you run drilled rotors hard theyll crack, and ive heard that if the holes have chamfered edges then they wont, but i havent spent enough time around actual tracks to talk to racers with actual experience as opposed to autists on the internet. im hoping to do more of that this summer, which is why i picked up these bad boys. if i crack em ill let you know.
>>
>>14879157
So they do it for the minuscule weight savings?

Have you guys considered that they may in fact be functional for venting hot gasses and cooling brakes?
>>
>>14879165

Fuck off retard. Slotted pads do those things better than drilled ones. Drilled ones also are more prone to cracking because of holes.

Its literally autism weight savings and aesthetics
>>
>>14879136
Considering I actually work for Lexus, which has a huge boner for these things, yeah, I can say it's not for performance. I actually went and asked about it once. It's just another shiny bobbit they put on to make money and look pretty.
>>
File: F1.jpg (49KB, 597x397px) Image search: [Google]
F1.jpg
49KB, 597x397px
>>14879136
Yes, yes they would.
pic is the brakes from an F1 car.
>>
>>14879172
I'm a retard for asking a question?

I think it's more retarded to believe that the highly qualified engineers of supercars and race cares use these brakes solely because they make more money by changing them out when they crack.

Ironically I always hear people with a hard on for brembos but I've yet to see non drilled brembo rotors.
>>
>>14879165
im the guy who posted just above you with the brembos. i think most purpose built track cars run forced-air brake ducting, with a naca duct or ram air inlet shoving a steady stream of fresh into a tube thats routed along the lower control arms into the rear center of the discs. then the air will flow through the directional vents and out the top of the discs. this is a pretty efficient way to cool them and id think if anything the drilled holes would disrupt airflow.

slots are apparently great at whisking away water, but holes, i dunno man. could be weight savings, could be airflow/gases, who knows. i dont know. im not a brake expert.
>>
>>14879192

>Taking insults on 4chan personally

Reddit is that way and to the left.
>>
Just use blanks. If you want to reduce rotating mass in the brakes, get two piece rotors but that's usually $$$.
>>
File: retard alert.gif (468KB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
retard alert.gif
468KB, 500x255px
>>14879165
>he doesn't understand that weight savings of rotating mass is far more important than equivalent weight of low COG stationary mass
>>
>guys I heard drilled rotors are snakeoil, is that true
yes
>no they're not!
>>
File: 1451717551780.jpg (43KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1451717551780.jpg
43KB, 500x333px
>>14879264
It's the way of /o/
>>
>>14879204
I'm not butthurt friend. Just genuinely curious.
>>14879213
Don't be obtuse of course I know this. But it has a weight reduction factor of approximately 4. If you saved 1/2 pound on each corner your talking 8lbs? That's practically negligible on a street car especially given that the apparently crack all the time...
>>
>>14879213

This. Thats why even a few lbs lighter wheels can change the handling of the car dynamically.
>>
>>14879275

Google Unsprung mass
>>
>>14879007
the holes are to vent gasses that can cause brake fade

I think they have a higher chance of breaking though
>>
>>14879264
How can you tell who is OP you fucking retard?
>>
>>14879136
don't forget engineers need to meet the requirements of requirement and business department, they are the ones that manage us. they are our bosses and we only say no due to safety or public health. otherwise are we are paid to make the brakes with holes, that meet the safety and performance specs as indicated.
>>
>>14879298
modern brake pads produce very little, if any gasses. drilled rotors are products of a bygone era that have stuck around, much like turbo timers.
>>
>>14879282
I'm fairly sure I've demonstrated that I have knowledge of the subject. But we're talking about an incredibly small amount of weight even with the 4x multiplier that unsprung weight effective has.

You can just keep insisting that I'm I'm ignorant or you could read my post and respond intelligently :^)
>>
>thinking speed holes are a meme
Never change /o/
>>
>>14879313

Dude, every little pound counts in racing. Just like how races are won in the tenths of seconds.
>>
File: speed-holes.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
speed-holes.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
>>14879315
>>
>>14879186
Lets be honest you are at best a spanner monkey, more likely a glorified tea boy and you aren't qualified to talk about engineering decisions.
>>
>>14879277
Also for the record this is largely untrue.

I wish I remembered the name of the article but I remember reading about a test done with miatas about light wheels.

They found that the difference between wheels over 3lbs a corner heavier and lightweight wheels with the same tires was almost immeasurably close because of tiny variants in driving heat and surface conditions.

In a theoretical sense it matters, but when your talking about a few lbs difference you won't see much of a difference at all.
>>
File: f1b.jpg (286KB, 1900x1267px) Image search: [Google]
f1b.jpg
286KB, 1900x1267px
>>14879324
damn somebody should let F1 in on the secret then
>>
>>14879335

No its not. Holy fuck /o/ is being retarded. Thats why race cars have the heaviest wheels, right?

>>14879340
F1 brakes are on another level compared to normal brakes. Also note that I said autism weight savings which mean trying to save as much weight as possible. The MAIN reason is looks.
>>
>>14879355
I didn't say you want heavy wheels.

Merely pointed out in a real world experiment they ultra light weight wheels provided so little benefit it was hard to measure when factoring in other variables such as human error.

Point being that even on a professional level I highly doubt the collective 4lbs of weight savings from drilled rotors would make any meaningful difference in performance. So if that's not the reason they are equipped on high end sports cars I think it's reasonable to assume that they may actually help reduced brake fade and increase stopping performance.
>>
>2016
>not using cantilever rim brakes to save grams
>>
Drilled/slotted argument aside, two-piece rotors are sexy af.
>>
>>14879439
the mustang i bought off craigslist came with em on it, the brembo set is pretty nice and to mention the brakes do bite pretty hard. they're not drilled and slotted though
>>
>>14879460

Enjoy replacing that shit.

4 or more piston calipers and 2 pc rotors to go with them are pricey as fuck not to mention quite unnecessary for the street..

They look damn good though. NOT just the huge ass caliper and the rotors having holes or slants in them.

They HAVE to be 2 pc rotors. Single piece ones look cheap as fuck. You can always tell. I run Mayle blanks w/ Pagid pads and OEM calipers on my M3. I refuse to spend $6k on brakes nor would I ever get a budget single piece rotor set.
>>
>>14879439
Standard fitment on such sports cars as the VW Phaeton, I guess you are stopping something that is as heavy as the average American (2430kg) from the sorts of speeds a 6L 12 cylinder engine produces.
>>
Vented >>>>>>>>>>>>> drilled and slotted
>>
>>14879494
Yeah I know. I'm just going to wait to replace them with the stock set when they wear. Just brake pads alone are around 300 and that's the cheapest I found them.
>>
>>14879538

Rebuild the calipers, clean the fuck out of them, paint if necessary and sell.

That'll nearly cover the entire brake kit for a Ford.
>>
>>14879136
yeah

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/drilled-or-slotted-rotors-what-are-the-best-brake-rotors.aspx

> These days, while they still look great and perform well, the drill holes are more for aesthetic reasons than anything else. For performance driving, slotted rotors have become the preferred choice because cross drilled rotors are more prone to stress cracking under extreme use.
>>
Yes. Any info you read saying drilled or cross drilled is better than plain old blanks or slotted is nothing more than marketing

>>14879068
They cost more to replace.
>>
>>14879335
Oh yeah, i remember reading that article.

Somebody pointed out that magazine was sponsored by one of the tire and wheels importer who tended to offer heavy pieces of shit so i would take it with a grain of salt.
>>
>>14879400
Every pound saved is one. Add up all those pounds and you shave off quite a lot.
>>
>>14879188
Carbon brakes are incomparable
>>
>>14879213
Not just that, imertia is referred through the whole system and basically gets amplified through the gearbox. Wheels should be your first choice for performance weight reduction
>>
>>14880183
Inertia*
>>
>>14879068
>why do you find them on high performance cars?
Have you considered that race cars have different needs than daily drivers? They sacrifice overall braking power to properly vent the gas and dust that heavy braking from 150-20MPH creates. On a DD you're only decreasing your braking power because your brake system should theoretically never experience that kind of stress.
>>
File: F1-brake-disc.jpg (72KB, 597x399px) Image search: [Google]
F1-brake-disc.jpg
72KB, 597x399px
>>14880205
except, F1 uses gigantic, blank, carbon rotors.

The only reason the high end commuter cars use drilled rotors is for aesthetics. They even admit that.
>>
>>14880283
I never said they still use them, but that was their original point.
>>
File: 1461032537543.png (27KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1461032537543.png
27KB, 657x527px
>>14880283
That rotor alone is worth more than my life
>>
I like this thread. What was /o/s thoughts back when mythbusters did that episode on milage and carved golf ball indentations into their car and the aerodynamics saved some gas
>>
>>14880346
Its impractical. What else do you want? Some autistic rant dismissing the results?
>>
>>14880302

You're a valuable person. Don't let life get you down.
>>
>>14880360
Just not as valuable as an f1 rotor
>>
>>14880302
Your post is probably more valuable than my life lmao
>>
>>14880367
10 years of minimum wage (or one month of welfare as a syrian ij germany) can buy a rotor easily my friend
>>
>>14880346
I thought it was over sexualized
>>
>>14880357
Putting clay all over the car is impractical, sure, but what's keeping a car company from putting dimples all over their sheet metal for maximum mileage?
>>
>>14880379
Needing twice the paint?
>>
>>14880379
Small dimples will make very little difference. Larger ones are harder to do. Its extra processes, more cost to make, more cost for the consumer. It just isnt worth it.

Plus it looks shit, paint will look shit on it.
>>
>>14880398
Also
>rains
>water pooling all over your car
>>
>>14880398
You're right, better to put that effort into infotainment
>>
>>14880402
Stop acting like a 12 year old
>>
>>14879192
>highly qualified engineers
Pretty retarded to believe the engineers are the ones making the decisions about what gets sold.

It's the same thing with large wheels. If there is more than an inch or so between the caliper and the rim, congrats you have been cucked
>>
File: 08c.png (165KB, 512x286px) Image search: [Google]
08c.png
165KB, 512x286px
>>14879007
>mfw no one in this thread knows why drilled/slotted rotors are a thing

It's to disperse heat better. While there is some loss of friction due to the reduced surface area that the pads contact, the slots and drills provide more channels that air is able to pass through where built up heat on the rotors can be exchanged, meaning that brake fade is reduced compared to regular vented rotors.

At least that was the idea. Now fuckbois just put them on to look cool.
>>
>>14880443
No. That's not what they were originally meant for at all.
>>
>>14880346
>mythbusters

That alone is enough to call bullshit.

>>14880379
It dosn't work. Why was the last time you looked at a land speed record car and it was covered in dimples?
>>
>>14880449
http://www.sp-performance.com/advantages_drilled_slotted.htm

>Holes or slots help air ventilation and expel heat. Rotors will run cooler and cool off faster - Stock rotor will over heat sooner and stay hot.
>>
>>14880513
They totally aren't trying to up sell their more expensive products
>>
>>14880513
The cooling effect you will get from the drilled part will be extremely negligible compared to the rotors simply being vented
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78wbht355R8

tl:dr; Drilled is useless, vented is good, solid is fine.
>>
>>14880526
The idea was to use it in conjunction with slotted and vented rotors. It's more or less unnecessary nowadays.
>>
Ok faggots. Listen.

Drilled rotors are not a meme for race cars. If you ever get the chance to look at some really high end brembos you will see that the drill hole is actually chamfered and rounded around the edge of the rotor face. This help prevents premature cracking while still giving a place for the used brake material to go. That's all the drill holes really do. They are passages for heat and dust to go through to get to the internal venting vanes faster. They aren't sharp enough to take alot of material off the pads. That's what slots in the rotors are for. They actually do the cutting of the pad to provide fresh brake material surface.

At the end of the day though, drilled rotors on a road car are just a fashion statement. Expensive showpieces. Its actually worse for safety because you have less surface area to work with when braking, but hey at least your brakes wont fade as quick when you braking from 140 to 20 on the touge right?

Slotted rotors are more acceptable for road use. Still though, they are overkill for most applications and you will have to change stuff more often. I think the highest street/track setup for normal enthusiasts would be slotted front disks, normal rear disks, and with EBC yellowstuff pads all around.
>>
>>14880653
>look at some really high end brembos
you get chamfers on even cheapo rotors dude
>>
>>14880653
Also forgot to add that carbon and ceramic disks are completely different in chemistry from normal brake pads. The bonding that occurs between the pad and disk is so violent that if there were any gouges, holes, or slots in the face of the rotors they would crack within seconds of hard use, and when that stuff cracks, it is liable to actually come apart and probably destroy a wheel/cause a wreck. That's why the brake system designers didn't put any slots or rotors in them in F1. Hell even look at how beefy the inside vanes are compared to a normal metal disk. It's so that the brittle carbon and ceramic can handle the load of being squeezed with a force similiar to God sneezing.
>>
>>14880659
They didn't used to a few years ago. All the knockoff rotor brands probably started doing it once they saw it on Brembo rotors. Either way, what do you care? The holes in cheap rotors are the least of the problems at that point. They will get warped to hell before the holes start cracking.
>>
>>14880677
I don't, I was just saying chamfers are pretty common now on most drilled rotors.
>>
Talk shit about drilled or slotted rotors but yeaterday I drove through a flood and my brakes worked perfectly even in the water. The holes shed off water as I was braking. Water evacuation, yo
>>
>>14882675
hahahahaha
>>
>>14882675
Ok kiddo
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.