[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the penalties for not having a cat converter in your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: car-catalytic-converter.jpg (22KB, 528x433px) Image search: [Google]
car-catalytic-converter.jpg
22KB, 528x433px
What are the penalties for not having a cat converter in your car?

Do people actually get shitcanned for it?
>>
just say it must have got stolen if it ever comes up
>>
>>14871702
I should have 2 and don't have any. I also live in a state with annual inspections for safety and emissions, never been called out on it in 3 years and my mechanic is an old family friend who passes my car every year.
>>
>>14871716
>Stolen
>pipe is complete from engine to exhaust tip

Yeah that'll go over well
Legally I don't even need a cat on my vehicle, they never bothered making them mandatory where I live.
>>
>>14871736
I live in Florida
Can't I just say I bought my car like this from the previous owner if the worst happens?
>>
>>14871702
No penalties whatsoever if you live in a free state without asinine regulations and testing. I drove for over a month with my exhaust sawed off a few feet past the down pipe. Shit sounded horrible, like a hundred chainsaws cutting barbed wire. Didn't get stopped once by the po-po.
>>
I've heard some crazy shit here in California. That they have roadside testers. Or they'll look under your car.
>>
>tfw pre-smog car
>>
>>14871760
What if I'm from Florida and have Florida tags but stationed in California?

>military
>>
>>14871741

Pretty sure Florida is one of the laxest states with regards to emissions. No emissions checks required at all and I'm pretty sure running around without a cat would present zero problems.
>>
>>14871741
That excuse is so stupid the cop would probably tase you.
But I doubt Florida cops would really get down and check under your car. Pa cops never have checked my car and it's loud as fuck.
>>
>>14871776
>military
Good luck getting on base. You have to go through other bullshit to get your tags.
>>
>>14871787
>low car
>cops would never even think it's possible to check under my car without jacks
>>
>doesn't have a chain of cats along the exhaust system
>doesn't have a dual muffler to be extra mindful of authority and people who may be offended by the noise

fucking goons, I hope you get stabbed and your car stolen
>>
File: 20160411_161358.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160411_161358.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>14871763
My nigga
>>
>>14871736
I have a friendly mechanic do my car as well, sure as hell not buying a new cat on an old car like mine. Previous owner burned out the cat by not knowing how to use oil. Yearly inspections, good thing most inspection crew is chill.
>>
File: 1459787829366.gif (140KB, 379x440px) Image search: [Google]
1459787829366.gif
140KB, 379x440px
>>14871756
I'm moving to Colorado, and I just found out they do vehicle inspection bullshit. I need figure out how to bypass this hassle..
>>
>>14871702
My old car was straight piped with a racing header and all I did was modify a spark plug defouler and ream it out to 1/2 inch and screwed two of them together and screwed the o2 sensor into the bung in the secondary hole and it's passed safety everytime
>>
>>14871966
t. britbong nannystatist
>>
>>14872040
make friends with a mechanic or go to a really sloppy backyard mechanic where they wont bother to check anything. Be careful in a shop you've never been in before because they believe the state sends in bad cars expecting them to pass it so the state can fine them.
>>
>>14872040
Just install the cat for testing and remove right after.

Or find a shady mechanic or shop run by car guys who give no fucks.
>>
why are you kids acting like boomers?
put your cat on.
>>
>>14871702
>What are the penalties for not having a cat converter in your car?

Constant stink of gasoline and soot all over your bumper.
>>
>>14871737
They have cars in nigeria?
>>
>>14871702
mine never came with one, most of my friends have removed theirs, nobody has said anything.

doesnt even come up in the annual inspection, as long as its under the decibel limit nobody cares, though i tend to keep mine quieter than that because i get along well with my neighbours.
>>
>>14873640
i have never seen that from non-cat cars. only cars ive seen that on are (poorly tuned?) turbo cars with bodykits.

id say the soot is more likely from a bad tune.

As for the smell of gasoline, you wont get that from an exhaust unless you're running absurdly rich or you have other faults (fuel injector seals are a common source)
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.