[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No start, no crank problem on a '94 Toyota Camry V6 I'd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 1993_Toyota_Camry_1666.jpg (599KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1993_Toyota_Camry_1666.jpg
599KB, 1600x900px
No start, no crank problem on a '94 Toyota Camry V6 I'd like a little help on if ya'll wouldn't mind.

After a year or so of occasionally turning over then dying, only to start right back up (maybe 1/10), I started getting the dreaded clicking.

I would turn the key and get a single click, no revs and although the dash light, radio, etc. worked the car wouldn't start. About 1/5 key turns would produce one or two revs but wouldn't start the car. After 1/20 key turns, the car would turn over, start and run no problem.

This quickly deteriorated into needing 50+ key turns to start after a day or two, I was hoping to make it to the weekend before having to open it up, but it died on Wednesday.

Weird shit on the last usage as well; when I turned the key off and took it out, I swear it sounded like the engine was still running, but it may have just been the fan on full burst for whatever effed up electrical reason. The next time I went to start it, I heard the clicking but it got more and more faint until after 10 or so key turns I got nothing. No click, no nothing except for the dash lights dimming.

Battery checked out fine, so that's not it. I haven't gone into the glove compartment where the fuses are yet, but if this sounds like a fairly direct issue of a dead starter or just needing to jump a cable or something, I can handle that.

A post on car gurus suggested sheering the black and red wire from the battery to starter and connecting a wire to another spot on the starter. I couldn't find any diagram or video of this so I didn't want to start exposing wires in my car.

tl;dr 94 Camry V6 162k, started clicking upon key turn, needing 20+ key turns before turning over, ran fine otherwise. Got worse and worse until clicking faded away (literally) and now nothing. Starter? Fuse?

Thanks for any help, folks.
>>
>>14863040
Piece of shit but new car
>>
>>14863062

I would love to, but if this is a matter of a ~$100 part and putting it in, the car is worth $1000-1200 so it would be a waste not to repair it.
>>
>>14863090
Fair enough im just not a big fan of camrys, if it wad me id go to a wreckers and get a 2nd hand starter with solenoid and try that with a new and maybe bigger battery
>>
>>14863040

Crank sensor and battery cables.
>>
>>14863116

Does the crank sensor make sense because of the [probably] fan running after the car has been turned off and the key removed?
>>
>>14863040

A blown fuse is easy to check, it's a visual inspection. Start there for the fuses that are relevant to starting/ignition.
Though, my suspicion lies with the starter itself. The starter died on my 2005 Camry and the symptoms were no clicking or response on key turn.

I'd personally just go get a starter and see if that does it. Might be smart to look at yours and make sure the connection to it is still good and the cables aren't frayed, cut, or the contact point isn't covered in stuff that would make the connection bad. Always start with the simple cheap inspections and solutions and if everything checks out go for the part itself and see if that does it.
>>
>>14863216

That was more or less the plan at this point, I just wanted some outside opinions on it being the starter and make sure I wasn't barking up the wrong tree.
>>
>>14863101
>2nd hand starter with solenoid
>solenoid

Is there any other kind? The advice regarding sheering the cable and running a wire included hooking it up to the solenoid. There's a big wreck yard a few miles from my house I could probably find one, so I'm just being cautious and making sure there's no other kind.

Part # is 28100 03030, I would start on that, but if there's another one with a different part # I would hesitate buying it.
>>
All of you are wrong it's the fucking starter for fucks sake.

Turn the key and get a single click is the starter.

Literally identical symptoms OP is describing in my integra so I replaced the starter and all was well
>>
>>14863449

Good to know, thanks.
>>
>>14863040
That sounds like a starter to me.
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 1352x997px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 1352x997px
There is no need to replace the starter when it's only the solenoid. Trust me on this, it's just the plunger and contacts on the solenoid.

Pic related, it's the starter, and in that 5 sided column is the solenoid section. Remove the 3 8mm bolts up at the top plate shaped like a home plate and you will see the plunger and contacts. PROTIP: DO not lose the spring, or possible ball at the end of the plunger
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (62KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
62KB, 960x720px
>>14863551
Once you do that, it will look like this inside. Soak that shit with brake-kleen, and then blow it out with compressed air.
>>
>>14863040
The starter is shit thats what the clicking sound is you are hearing.
>>
File: 41OEngHVjJL._SY300_[1].jpg (12KB, 299x300px) Image search: [Google]
41OEngHVjJL._SY300_[1].jpg
12KB, 299x300px
>>14863551
>>14863562
Go get a solenoid rebuild kit, pic related... I think it's a 13mm nut to take off both side post contacts, and shove the new plunger/spring assembly in. Reinstall starter, spend only $15
>>
>>14863551
>>14863562
>>14863585
and a youtube vid showing your basic contacts change... Your starter will look slightly different, but same procedures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgGWQ02GtEk
>>
>>14863585

Ahh! I have seen those on a couple of sites, I'll get one and try that first.
>>
>>14863707
They're different shapes for different models, so make sure you get the right ones
>>
>>14863740

The ones I'm looking at list the models it works with, so I should be set. $12 online and $30 at O'rlys. Cripes that place is like radio shack for car parts.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.