[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /o/, I need opinions. I got this 88 fox body from my mom.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
So /o/, I need opinions. I got this 88 fox body from my mom. She's been the only owner of it and to date it has a total of 137k on it. As time took its toll on her body she had to transition to cars that would be easier to drive but couldn't make herself give the car to me when I was younger. As a result it's just sat since about '07 and times also taken its toll on this once great machine. The sentimental aspects leads me to my question: at what point does it become worthwhile to just buy a new mustand instead of restoring a current one. If only be paying for parts and painting it as a friend of mine would be doing the labor/teaching me at no cost. He's a master mechanic for averit trucking so I don't doubt his credentials by any degree.
>>
What is this a fucking blog get to the point
>>
By 'new' I mean another Fox of course. I have a 2010 GT already this would just be the project. I also should mention that nothing aftermarket has been added to this one.
>>
>>14853510
Well....I did get to the point. I asked; At what point does it become more worthwhile to simply buy another Fox instead of fixing up this one? But thanks for letting me know you didnt read fully.
>>
Fix it up. Never seen a Fox on Centras before.
>>
Only if the one you have is rusty or needs serious amounts of body work. Pretty easy if the car was driven 24/7 for the last 10-20 years in the Midwest/Northeast USA

What's in the pic looks pretty easily savable but you'd be a idiot to keep a 1988 anything as dependable reliable transportation.
>>
>>14853521
>At what point does it become more worthwhile to simply buy another Fox instead of fixing up this one?
Literally never unless the unibody is rusted out which I doubt it is. It looks pretty good to me. What's wrong with it exactly?
>>
If it's not rusty it shouldn't take a ton of effort. All they really need is sub frame connectors, heads, intake manifold, exhaust, rear end gears, and brakes to be very nice cars.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
the belts and fans appear to have rusted but none of the frame or body has serious rust. I've jacked it up and looked at that
>>
>>14853706
Clean it up, fix it up, enjoy it.
>>
>>14853717
What's your opinion on the under the hood view? Does that look like it would be beyond reasonable repair?
>>
>>14853738
Nah
>>
File: 1986-Ford-Mustang-Coupe-02-1680.jpg (161KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1986-Ford-Mustang-Coupe-02-1680.jpg
161KB, 1680x1050px
>>14853575
I use a 92 as dependable reliable transportation and a friend who does the same on an 89, whats wrong with fox mustangs? Theyre solid as all hell
>>
>>14853747
Perfect. I'm a banker by career, so this will mainly be a learning experience for me. Anything that requires the real know how I'll be watching or working under supervision.
>>
>>14853769
These cars are ez as fuck OP. Just make sure you use jackstands. They're great first cars. Great learner cars.
>>
>>14853782
That's really good to hear. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the year. Any idea what pricing may be like?
>>
>>14853485
>>14853706

That car looks perfectly fine. It needa a good bath and maybe a little work but nothing serious.
>>
>>14853853
Depends on if you want everything under the hood with surface rust to look like/be new but that car may very well only need detailed and all its fluids changed so... Maybe $200?
>>
>>14853877
Dude don't excite me like that lmao.I'm a pessimist I seriously thought I would need to spend maybe $800 in necessary parts to get it back running. I've already price everything aftermarket and placed it into a build kit on American Muscle priced at about $2100. That included Head and Tail lights, a Radiator, Cold Air Intake, Shorty Heads, Catted H-Pipe, Exhaust, and front Pads + Rotors.
>>
>>14853987
get it up and running first before you replace things you may not have to.
Like head and tail lights.
>>
>>14853987

Based on work I've done on cars like that, assuming it didn't break down in the first place I'd budget more like $400. Or $800 if you need tires.
>>
>>14854001
That's definitely true, I included them because they were cracked and/or broken.

>>14854015
Yeah I plan on getting tires too, the same friend who's helping me fix it can get tires at dealer prices so I'm paying next to nothing for those.
>>
>>14854066
Sounds like you got the hook up with your buddy. Like the others said, get it running first, then drivable, then add go fast parts. Unless it's a California car the 1988 model still had speed density sensor. 1989 is when they switched to mass air sensors. Make that one of your first go fast upgrades because the speed density will limit your ability on engine mods. Also is it auto or 5 speed? Didn't see that posted.
>>
>>14854094
Thanks for bringing that up I had no idea. The car's originally from Virginia, where I'm from.
It's a manual. That's the reason my mom stopped driving it. As she got older her knees didnt agree with driving it as her daily. I, as well as she, personally disagree with any sports car that isnt a manual; If you're gonna go fast do it right.
>>
Note to OP, for parts you are not upgrading but may be/are replacing, consider rockauto.com to save some cash. I've also found running part #'s from rock auto though eBay can sometime net extra savings.
>>
>>14854203
I've never used this site before. Looks like it focuses on factory parts, right?
>>
>>14854138
Sorry to hear about your mom. Though she does have the right mindset about cars in my opinion. The reason I ask about the transmission is because the clutch is operated by a cable, not hydraulicly. There is a plastic fulcrum in the dash behind the gauge cluster area that are prone to breaking. Steeda makes an aluminum replacement.
>>
>>14854294
Oh dude she's perfect now. She's recently (a little over a year ago) gotten a surgery to improve her quality of life and you'd never know she was injured unless she told you. Her '04 Maxima recently crapped out on her so she's thinking about crossing back onto the dark side and getting a newer model mustang. She loves to drive my '10 GT and had the gall to name it when I bought it lol. She doesnt have the patience or the interest to bring the Fox back to life though, so she handed it off to me.
>>
File: 20160409_154333.jpg (2MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160409_154333.jpg
2MB, 2048x1152px
>>14854334
I'm glad to hear she's better. Tell her to get one and name it, not yours lol. I have an 2006 mustang, pic related and sorry for the tilt. 2011 5.0 mustangs should be fairly cheap by now 15-20k range.
>>
>>14854450
She's looking at that model. I come from a family of Mustang owners, really. My cousin has a 2011 GT and a 1991 GT, the latter of which is a high 9 second car on a 1/4. My uncle has a 2013 GT, and what I believe is a 69 as his project that he's been playing around with for about 2 years.
>>
>>14854565
That's pretty cool. I'm a little jelly about that 69, look like pic related body wise? I would love to have a 2014 gt in gotta have it green (lime green basically) idk if the gt500 came in that color but I would like it as well.
>>
File: 1969_mustang_grande.jpg (24KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1969_mustang_grande.jpg
24KB, 500x333px
>>14854802
A lot less fancy, this may be closer because his doesnt have a hood scoop. He spends his free time tinkering with it along with a few of his friends. He's in his mid 50s so I think he just uses it to keep his hands busy.
>>
Change oil, change coolant, drain old gas and refill, add battery drive out and wash....don't get hung up on having to have it painted from the pictures it looks good....remember no paint job will look as good as the factory ( unless you spend ungodly amount of money)
>>
>>14854962
Ya I just pulled that off Google for comparison. I like that red though. My year would be 1968. I like the ass end on it and they started making them a little wider. Looks like he has taken good care of it though. I'd definitely be trying to get it from him if I was you lol.
>>
File: engine2.jpg (485KB, 1855x844px) Image search: [Google]
engine2.jpg
485KB, 1855x844px
>>14853706
my negga

do it

pulleys and alternator look rusted but a new kit is pretty cheap, also the stock fox alternator is garbage
>>
>>14855141
lol Oh thats a google image too.
>>
File: 1389045372094.png (789KB, 793x417px) Image search: [Google]
1389045372094.png
789KB, 793x417px
>>14853485
You could do both. Restore it by buying another for parts.
>>
>>14855441
Ah lol. I wish you good luck on the restoration. American muscle is a good place to find most of what you need as you know. EBay is always a option and rock auto is good for oem replacement parts. Google and YouTube are your friends for learning more about cars in general.
>>
>>14855649
Thank, chief. I appreciate it
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.