[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people steer like this? I've been watching BMW M2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

File: w54t.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
w54t.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Why do people steer like this?

I've been watching BMW M2 videos, and previously Camaro/Mustang videos and a lot of the younger people who get their hands on these test cars absolutely refuse to let go of the side slats of the wheel. Why? Is this a track driving technique or are they just retarded?
>>
>>14836486
You should never ever cross your arms, be it at the track or the street.
>>
What the fuck
>>
>>14836486
lol that video

>trying to make a camaro turn
>ever
>>
File: quality_Gawker_car_journalism.gif (3MB, 359x339px) Image search: [Google]
quality_Gawker_car_journalism.gif
3MB, 359x339px
>jalopnik in charge of car journalism
>>
>>14836486
Because of super glue and Death Tape Gum Matches.
>>
File: PARTYHARD.gif (507KB, 359x339px) Image search: [Google]
PARTYHARD.gif
507KB, 359x339px
>>14836546
>>
File: 568548.gif (1MB, 274x240px) Image search: [Google]
568548.gif
1MB, 274x240px
the face of defeat
>>
>>14836560
It's the face of deface.
>>
>>14836546
gumballdeathmatch.gif
>>
>>14836486
>>14836546
>>14836558
>>14836560
>chevy asked us to leave for wrecking their mule
How do you think that conversation went? I doubt it was "Please leave"
>>
>>14836486
>Is this a track driving technique
yes
>or are they just retarded?
yes
>>
File: 1454997240194.jpg (722KB, 1024x730px) Image search: [Google]
1454997240194.jpg
722KB, 1024x730px
>>14836486
>absolutely refuse to let go of the side slats of the wheel. Why?

Simple to explain.

Not enough experience and therefore they get scared easily, making them cling to the steering wheel and cramping all up instead of keeping cool and just reacting the right way (which you will if you have enough experience)
>>
>>14836497
EEEEEEEEEEEHHHH!

Wrong. Rally drivers are told to cross their arms and never change positions. Some track drivers are told the same. This is to always have in mind the correct position to keep the front wheels straight ahead.
>>
>mfw I was taught shuffle steering and keeping my hands at 9 and 3

>mfw I'd see something like hot version and they somehow can turn without ever having to take their hands off the wheel

how
>>
I wonder if Conan O'Brian is embarrassed by his son's antics.
>>
>>14836673
[citation needed]

Interesting if true though.
>>
>>14836707
conan o'brien and stephen harper's lovechild
>>
>>14836710
http://jalopnik.com/what-a-slow-idiot-learned-at-race-driving-school-481637714

I know, its jalopink. But its better than me coming up with insults and ad hominem.
>>
>>14836546
Gummutapu dessu match, Takumi
>>
>>14836486
Not a big deal anon just move on
>>
>>14836614
How much do you bet the Chevy reps made fun of them for being from Jalopnik?
>>
>>14836720
Not much better, since we've seen how well that worked out for them. I'd rather you call me a faggot.
>>
>>14836673
I might bite the rally part, but pro track racing? Their steering wheels don't even have that much lock.
>>
>>14836673
The steering in rally cars is also set up so that turned ~110 degrees in either direction is full left or full right; it's completely different from normal street cars.
>>
>>14836794
>Their steering wheels don't even have that much lock.
Yes. Yes it is. Only benchracers faggots who DD their track car dont have much lock. Seen the F1 steering wheel? guys never leave the hands off the wheel, steering lock must be around 120 degrees.
>>
>>14836710
>>14836673
>>14836673
he's right tho >>14836673
I've been to rally school along with casual track instruction and you are blatantly taught to keep your hands on the wheel in the proper position until you are forced to spin the wheel beyond what your body lets you without letting go.

Letting the most your arms can rotate be the max you turn the wheel is a newbie mistake however. Very common with people who can't drive, nor listen, for shit.

That said the motion is obviously smooth and fluid.
>>
>>14836560
>when your camaro doesnt turn
>>
>>14836831
Before i was even getting my license i did that. Uncle quickly told me "do not NEVER cross your arms when driving in the streets, move them instead".

Never did that again.
>>
>>14836816
The only place they take their hands of the wheel to push it more is in monaco (Turn 6, Hotel).

>>14836831
>Letting the most your arms can rotate be the max you turn the wheel is a newbie mistake however.
This makes me so anxious, I've been in cars with people that do this and when I see the arms start cross themselves I just can't help but think something wrong will happen.
>>
>>14836889
>This makes me so anxious, I've been in cars with people that do this and when I see the arms start cross themselves I just can't help but think something wrong will happen.
Those are people I only with ride with once.
>>
>>14836546
did he even lose traction?
It just looks like he failed to even turn the wheel far enough.
>>
>>14836905
>Letting the most your arms can rotate be the max you turn the wheel is a newbie mistake however.
He froze up when his arms crossed. That is why he got kicked out. Not for crashing, for being a poser.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8pqPPzOMtw
He never crosses his arms, just shuffles the wheel.
>>
>>14836673
with good line and high speed not much lock is needed
>>
>>14837195
This isn't track racing anon. This is raly. terrain is fucked up. Ground is fucked up, the track is fucked up, there might be obstacles. The best of rally drivers in the slowest easiest to control FWD shitboxes would still have to be in his toes with the control of the car because sometimes its not HIM the one that can fuck everything up.
>>
>>14836486
the wheel is almost upside down ?
>>
File: OEUI.jpg (18KB, 241x265px) Image search: [Google]
OEUI.jpg
18KB, 241x265px
>tfw your wheel is 3000 turns lock to lock
>tfw AWD and long wheel base makes for a shit turning circle
>>
Jesus what a moron, I'm assuming he's been doing car reviews and stuff for years, how can you possibly drive like that after this time?

Honestly it is the first thing they teach you.
>>
>>14837250
hes a NYC faggot that barely drives, hates cars and writes for an online auto rag run by a homo. What do you expect?
>>
>>14837273
ayee it depends on the speed of the rack
most racks are too slow for this to work
>>
>>14837273
Nice to see at least one professional faggot browses /o/
>>
>>14836700
Steering racks.
Look at F1, they don't even go past 90 degrees.

>>14836905
>>14836914
Fuck sake, go watch the actual video.

Too hot into corner, front wheels lost grip, it understeered.
He kept turning while it was understeering, doing nothing but more hektik skidz

Correct response would be to hold it on the point of understeer and then dump the clutch, hopefully kicking the rear out and giving you more options
Of course, if you're driving an auto V6 like a faggot, you're doomed.
>>
>>14837273
>Quotes the entire thread
How about you fuck off?
>>
>>14837305
> attempting to shock the drive train while plowing towards a wall at high speed
Learn to drive before you speak again thanks
>>
>>14837305
>Look at F1, they don't even go past 90 degrees.
wrong
>>
>>14837315
How about you learn to drive, faggot?
You don't want to understeer anymore, you kick the clutch and get the ass out, then back off the throttle until facing where you want to go and getting back on it.
If you're not useless and you let all 4 wheels slide for a bit, you'll have bled off a fair amount of speed and now stand an actual chance of getting around a corner, and if the worse happens and you hit the wall you've now hit it side on, spreading the damage across some panels rather than fucking up all your steering and suspension.

Go drive a manual RWD on some loose gravel and learn.
>>
>>14837316
Meant 180 or whatever straight down is. They don't turn enough to have their arms actually cross fully.
>>
I did an "experience drive" a few years ago on a whim (i was there as my dad was doing one for his birthday and they had "on the day" offers) and in the drivers briefing you were specifically told to do this, and if you needed to turn the wheel any further you were probably going to crash.

didn't effect me that much as i chose the GTR so i just pressed the "drive around the track button" and went back to shitposting on /o/

>the first part is true, i actually enjoyed driving the GTR.
>>
>>14837333
>They don't turn enough to have their arms actually cross fully.
Correct.
>>
>>14837347
You are supposed to be turning the car with weight shifting and throttle. If you are doing it only with the wheel you are a complete fuckup.
>>
>>14837307
>>14837300
>>14837280
Tiff Needel, Nigel Mansel and Sebastian Vettel posting.
>>
>>14837360
Don't you mean to say "bike"?
>>
>>14837331
I know how to drive, that's why I'm not retarded enough to shock the drive train when plowing towards a wall at high speed. Like I said, learn to drive and stop attempting to extend your video game experience into real life. You have zero idea what you're talking about.

> let off gas
> lightly apply and modulate brakes
> proper steering angle should be a given
> grip regained
> back on gas and exit corner

And if the worse happens in your scenario you are headed driver side first into a cement barrier. Can only end one way, badly.
>>
>>14837360
Yup.

I also enjoyed him explaining how the 360 will lock it's rear wheels up and throw you into a wall under certain circumstances, there was a lot of people wishing they'd either paid the insurance deposit or chose a different car.
>>
>>14837366
>I know how to drive
>Brake mid corner
>>
>>14837380
Yoire one of those "huur no brakes ij the corner" losers? Thanks for proving me correct, no car faggot
Learn to into trail braking, throttle braking, and proper balance management
>>
>>14837389
Literally every single one of those apply when going INTO the corner, not when you're half way through it heading towards the wall you dumb fuck.

If you'd ever actually driving a car you would know that.
>>
>>14837392
You've obviously never been in the situation where you have to correct understeer. Also throttle braking you're on the brakes through the entirety of the corner, but I don't expect a no car faggot like yourself to understand such a technique

Go "clutch kick" some more faggot maybe you'll learn one day
>>
The irony in all these posts is that him being able to turn the wheel further wouldn't have mattered, he was already toast.

Entered too hot
Camaro begins to understeer
I'm assuming he started to brake too, which now divides the tires ability between steering and braking
Then he turned the wheel more, which removed the tire from the effective slip angle further pronouncing the understeer.

In understeer situations it actually helps to turn the wheel back straight so the tires can regain grip, even if it is counterintutive. Wouldn't have saved him, but neither would being able to turn the wheel more. The real mistake was going too hot into the turn.
>>
>>14837394
>only ever drove ff shitboxes
>all of the sudden upgrade to mid-engine car
>come into a corner too hot
>start understeering mid corner
>tap the brakes a little
>.....wait, why is the world moving backwards all the sudden?
>realize the world isn't going backwards but you are
>runs off the track backwards in a cloud of smoke
>code brown alert
>car finally comes to a stop
>gets lapped by every car 5 times before he gets back in the track
>later argues that was clearly the correct way to take that corner and everyone else was wrong
>>
>>14838629

Different anon, how does lightly tapping the brakes throw the rear off balance when you are already understeering? Even a mid engine has to be real badly set up to do that.
>>
>>14836673
Have you ever considered how quick their steering racks are?
>>
>>14838702
It has to do with vehicle dynamics. When you come into a corner the vehicle's weight will shift to the outside corners causing the outside suspension to compress and the wheels to get more negative camber. When you tap the brakes the weight will again shift from a slightly rearward bais on the outside corners to a forward bais. This will cause the outside rear suspension to unload and positive camber to be introduced to the outside rear wheel. You now have less of a tire contact patch and less grip so the rear of the car starts to step out. In a mid-engine car most of the mass is just in front of the rear wheels so it makes the car inherently unstable and in slide that mass wants to be leading and not pushing. In mid engine cars you have very little time before you reached a point where you can't recover from a slide because that mass is too far into its transition forward. This is why you see very few mid engine drift cars.
>>
>>14836546
>>14836560
What's going on in there?
>>
>>14839345
Quality journalism
>>
>>14836546
Fuck Jalopnik and fuck this guy
>>
The cars (mostly race prepped from the comments in this thread) where crossing wasn't a concern:

Did they have working airbag systems?
>>
>>14836673

what about the fucking airbag blowing your god damn arms to peices when you hit a wall when you cross your arms
>>
>>14839013

Yes, but while already understeering?
>>
>>14837360
Thanks. I never knew that the steering wheel wasn't for turning
>>
>>14837366
This is correct.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (36KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
36KB, 480x360px
>>14836554
>>14836580
>>14836726

Fucking Shingo
>>
>>14839345

He's crashing the car.
>>
>>14839796

With no survivors
>>
>>14836486
These are people who didn't go to a fucking driving school.

A proper driving instructor would've broken their hands if they saw that shit.
>>
>>14839400
I got that bit, thanks, but what exactly happened?
I don't care enough about Jalopnix to know every time they fucked up.
>>
File: Chad.jpg (50KB, 500x704px) Image search: [Google]
Chad.jpg
50KB, 500x704px
>>14837273
I LIKE YOU PHAM
>>
>>14837331
If you've got understeer, the solution is to steer LESS.
>>
>>14839013
A smooth braking input can help transfer weight to the front. If you stab the brakes, you're gonna snap oversteer, but if you lightly drag them, it will help transfer weight to the front.

My Fiero had soft enough suspension before I modded it that sometimes you were in the brake and the gas while mid corner, and that's in a car with a 65% rear weight bias and a 93 inch wheel base.

Bigger sways reduced my need for maintenance throttle, but I still occasionally had to trail brake.
>>
>>14839910
This was at the 6th gen Camaro rollout at Belle Island. He wasn't experienced at driving hard and shooting video at the same time, you can see him hang up in his head a couple times when he's struggling to do both.

Because he wasn't paying enough attention to the car for his skill level, he missed his braking zone for one of the corners, by a LOT. He immediately cranks the wheel too hard when he realizes he's headed for the wall and starts to plow. Then he tries to fix the problem by steering more, instead of steering less and getting on the brake.

So he hits the wall.

Chevy then kicked them out, and Jalopnik didn't get another GM tester for over 6 months.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.