[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does it feel knowing that within a decade you won't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: relic.jpg (210KB, 1024x660px) Image search: [Google]
relic.jpg
210KB, 1024x660px
How does it feel knowing that within a decade you won't be able to drive your car anymore? Manual driving is going the way of the past. Cars are shipping with autopilot as a stock option and unless someone creates a kit to convert an existing car into a self-driving model complete with interfacing with nearby vehicles, eventually laws are going to be passed to get manual driving off of the road for the safety of mankind.

What are you gonna do with your car after the auto revolution and you can't legally drive it in cities or on major roads anymore?
>>
I don't know about the rest of the world, but we'll be driving our own cars in America for a good long while. Hell, they can't get GUNS banned, they're a long damn way from banning non-autopilot cars.
>>
>the hundreds of millions of vehicles on the road won't be grandfathered in

how can you be so stupid
>>
>>14833264
This. I bring this up everytime. I don't even legally need to wear a seatbelt in my truck because of grandfathering.
>>
>>14833242

that's not a good comparison. there's actually plenty of basis for banning manually driven cars once a larger percentage of them are automatic and the features better permeate the market. human error is responsible for the vast majority of accidents with humans and is responsible for the only accident with a self driven vehicle. guns are arguably for self defense and can't be replaced by anything else; self-driving cars would be, then, an objective upgrade for the safety and promptness of people travelling anywhere.

self driving cars can get automatic updates on areas based on weather conditions. they will cooperate with a dynamic speed limit based on road conditions, vehicle density, etc. and manual drivers simply won't get the same information.

in order to optimize autoautos, we need to ban manual ones, and it's certainly on the way
>>
>>14833254
That's because driving is a privilege, not a right.
>>
>>14833242
I'll probably put it in a trailer and take it to the track. It's not rocket science, driving is going to become something only enthusiasts do on closed courses.
>>
>>14833294
There will at most be special lanes you have to stay out of if you're driving a manual car.
>>
>>14833312

>guns are a constitutionally protected right in the US

oh yeah, i forgot. that's just one more reason it's a bad comparison.
>>
I want the autists to leave
>>
>>14833312
And we thought slave ownership was a good right as well for a while. Maybe it's time for a change :^)
>>
>>14833279
my truck doesn't even have seat belts
>>
File: Skuterdriten.jpg (727KB, 1780x1001px) Image search: [Google]
Skuterdriten.jpg
727KB, 1780x1001px
I probably will. A lot of the roads I drive on are quite rough, often not plowed and some are also unmapped logging trails. I have trouble seeing them developing tech that could safely take a SUV/pickup with a trailer onto forest roads with a foot of snow or more on them. I work with search & rescue, emergency response and such with the Red Cross, and I just cannot see there being automated cars that would be able to deal with what I'd put it through
>>
>>14833409
>I work with search & rescue, emergency response and such with the Red Cross

I don't believe emergency vehicles will be automated for a very long time. The drivers of those vehicles don't have the same rules and procedures to them as ordinary cars and need to make many split second decisions based on their surroundings, and need to go into areas not designed for ordinary driving. for someone in your position, you will likely still HAVE to drive for your line of work. the layman won't, though.
>>
File: 1385676404249.gif (500KB, 500x174px) Image search: [Google]
1385676404249.gif
500KB, 500x174px
>>14833438
Thats what I believe as well, but even still I don't see automated cars working properly here within ten years without some very fine adjustment and proper marking of the roads around here... and that is in summer. During the winter, for 6 months, there are no road markings except for bamboo sticks with reflective tape every 30 feet for the plow, the traction will change by the second and who knows what will happen if the car suddenly runs into a foot and a half of deep snow because the road has not been plowed

I'm really curious as to how they'll sort out problems like those
>>
>>14833475

i believe that machines will be able to accommodate for various road conditions better than humans can, honestly. and and for running into snow, the car would have to drive out there and reroute due to unexpected road conditions, the same way that a person would have to. the difference is that a car could alert other cars to that unexpected condition, so they could route before they waste the time driving out to an undriveable road. if there's only one road out to a location, it will have to be plowed, and at least an autocar could/would provide an automatic update to the proper authorities on road conditions in a region.
>>
>>14833509
But within ten years?

The problem is that, with a decent snowfall and recently smoothed edges, you'll often have trouble telling where the edge of the road actually is, and with the only current markings being the occascional bamboo stick the car would not get the proper info it requires

I'm sure they would find a solution, but not within ten years

And about rerouting; if it had to reroute due to lack of information the only other road that I could get to work would take about 40 minutes to drive, assuming that it would even be open. Ofcourse the roads will be plowed, but I am talking about cases where the roads have not been plowed very recently and there is already enough snow that it confuses the sensors
>>
>>14833242
Planes are still manually flown, and we have had self flying drones for a long time, and if we have completely auto driving cars then who will the popo ticket?
>>
>>14833617

perhaps not within 10 years. that's simply wishful thinking, honestly. I do see it happening down the road (lol) as the technology progresses and more and more cars ship with the technology built in regardless of use
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.