[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of purchasing an OBD2 scanner since in this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: image_22289.jpg (124KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_22289.jpg
124KB, 1200x1200px
I'm thinking of purchasing an OBD2 scanner since in this day and age having a car scanner is the best thing possible for Do it Yourself people. Which one does /o/ recommend. Pic related what I'm thinking of buying. Also mechanics are shit and overcharge don't be a pleb and invest in one of these.
>>
Get something decent. You're gonna use it more than once so spend the money up front and get something good. I have both an innova 3030 and a 3100. The 3030 is a basic code reader that cost around $40. The 3100 is more robust in features, reads abs and displays the code as well as its meaning. It costs around $100.
>>
>>14830221
>buying anything electronic from horror freight
>not buying a cheap autel from Amazon for less than $20
>not using a paper clip to short the terminal and make the car enter diagnostic mode
unless it can do ABS or airbags it's not worth the extra money /thread
>>
>>14830221
If you are interested in reading/clearing codes and maybe read some sensor data, then just buy a $20 Bluetooth OBDII reader on Amazon and spend $5 on the Torque app on your phone.
>>
>>14830221
Can't you buy a smartphone attachment these days? Surely you're better off having something that can connect to the internets straight up
>>
>>14830255
>>14830266
>>14830301
>>14830302
Basically I just want something to make sure all my cars have their maintenance done. I drive a Ford Mustang 97 and as you know Fix or Repair Daily (Ford). Also contrary to popular belief the attachment ones that connect to the Internet I've heard aren't as good as most people tend to believe.
>>
>>14830418
the bluetooth one + torque app seems to fit a majority of the basic needs. plus you can have your phone in a location where you can see all the readings wirelessly
>>
>>14830221
i have everything from a snapon modis to a bluetooth elm327 scanner and the torque app.

If your just looking to clear codes and catch some of the standard ob2 datastream pids, then a bluetooth dongle is for you. Hell i even do injector buzz tests with those things on 7.3's so they are pretty versatile for how much they cost. Only thing that sucks is that they are not very reliable. Works on some vehicles, randomly wont connect to others or glitches out. Overall, if not using for a profession, no reason to buy a 100$+ unit unless you need to do forced regens or clear abs codes.
>>
>>14830221
I have a chinese "creader v" off ebay, $30. Backlit screen, displays code numbers and explanations, has live sensor view with graphs. Basically everything you'd ever need.
>>
>>14830425
That's what I have. Torque app does everything I need it to. Helped me figure out a coolant issue. The newer the car, the most torque really shines.
>>
Just buy a delphi clone. I paid £70 for one of these, just connect it to a laptop or Windows tablet. Gives access to more than just obd.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/2014-R2-delphi-ds150e
>>
Get the Scotty Kilmer one! It can eben read those expensive Mercedes money pit codes and tell you how much you're going to pay.
>>
>>14830418

I was considering that Harbor Freight one as well.

I ended up choosing the Autel AL619, which is able to read airbag and ABS codes. It cost under $80 if I recall correctly.
>>
File: obd_1300_enhanced_obd_i-ii_scan.jpg (4MB, 2747x4927px) Image search: [Google]
obd_1300_enhanced_obd_i-ii_scan.jpg
4MB, 2747x4927px
>>14830221
I got one of these -
Bosch OBD 1300
http://www.boschdiagnostics.com/diy/products/bosch-obd-1300

upgradable/updates via usb online links

Works for virtually all vehicles with any kind of onboard computer modules.

Can be hooked up and read vehicle's computer in real time while driving down the road to give real time feedback and system performance

Got mine at o'reilly's for about $275. well worth it.
>>
>>14833898
i don't how if you could justify the cost of this over a $10 bluetooth OBDII dongle
>>
>>14833906
Smartphone reliance is bad and you should feel bad.
>>
>>14834498
ok grandpa
>>
>>14834524
>oh sure, I've got a code scanner, I can help you out!
>now let's see, where is this thing...
>right, it's like 4cm big, bottom of glove box...
>there we go! Now I hook it up to my phone
>why isn't it connecting? Fuck
>heh, Bluetooth was off, let's switch that on
>wait where's the app? Oh right, I got a new phone and haven't used this thing in ages
>let's go fire up the app store and search for it...

>meanwhile Chad fishes his out of his glovebox in 15 seconds and has zero issues
>>
>>14830221
>crp 123
a bit slow but a good tool for reading everything.
>>
I have a BlueDriver. Probably too expensive for what it is, but the app is great and I've had zero issues.
>>
Hey guys, I own a 1995 Mx5 (miata). Are these OBD1 or OBD2? Google is giving me mixed reports.
>>
File: photo (8).jpg (405KB, 1296x968px) Image search: [Google]
photo (8).jpg
405KB, 1296x968px
>>14830221
I bought a $99 software license for VCDS-lite for my 01 VW Jetta and a USB to OBD-II cable. Now I can scan my car from my laptop whenever I want. So far I have adapted a new instrument cluster (when you swap clusters on these cars the immobilizer will activate) to my key, fixed an airbag warning light, and cleared a check engine light. I also ran a few tests yesterday to check the cat-converter and found a minor trouble code (something under my seat).

Overall I would say it was a good investment since it already paid for itself (adapting a key is about 100 bucks through a locksmith).
>>
>>14830221
if you just want codes any cheap one will do. you can pay more for one that can display airbag and abs codes. If you want one that a professional uses which is bidirectional and allows you to control some functions on the vehicle you'll pay alot more. innova is a good cheap one though.
>>
OP here decided to go with a blue tooth OBD2 scanner since they are always getting updated and have more information available. Got one on Amazon for $11.
>>
>>14833696
does it say 'rev up your engines!' when you turn it on?
>>
>>14835844
http://forum.miata.net/vb/archive/index.php/t-5071.html

This wasn't hard to find, faggot.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.