[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that carburetor engines were shitty and unreliable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

File: Carburetor.jpg (38KB, 533x376px) Image search: [Google]
Carburetor.jpg
38KB, 533x376px
Is it true that carburetor engines were shitty and unreliable to daily drive? In old movies you always see scenes of people on the side of the road with their cars not working because of faulty carbs.
>>
yes. efi is much more reliable in general.
>>
Difference being you can fix a carb on the side of the road. You clan't fix an ECU or most other breakdown problems at the roadside on modern cars.

A carb is much simpler than fuel injection but it is more sensitive to temperature, moisture etc.
>>
>>14827408
What old movies are you watching?
>>
>>14828930
lollipop cream
>>
Carb is apocalypse tier sturdy. Simple but less adaptable to altitude etc
Efi is in general better. I feel carbs have their place. Like old work trucks.
>>
File: image.jpg (774KB, 2000x2115px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
774KB, 2000x2115px
>>14829335
Btw this comes from someone with a carbed truck and carbed motorcycle. I love my carbs and my next bike will be carbed. But efi makes more sense. I just prefer simple.
>>
>>14827427
>you can fix a carb on the side of the road
unless something is broken, rather than just leaking or jammed. Fuel pumps still shit themselves just like on EFI cars, except you can't get them running again by just hitting them

But generally speaking I agree with you.
Also older carb cars often have points ignition systems, which are a lot more likely to fail than a modern system. Of course YOU might be able to fix that on the side of the road, but I bet OP can't
>>
>>14827408
It really depends on the carb. Some may give more problems than others. Most of the time you just have to make sure they stay in tune.
>>
I drive a Citroen bx, that is carb right? what should i take into account, whats the real difference here?
>>
>>14829748
what about a holley 4 barrel? Aren't those like the best carbs on the market right now?
>>
They are fine. My bike has 4 of them and it works fine. They can just be a bit fiddly.
>>
I've never seen an EFI system fail, carbs though Jesus himself banging on it couldn't get it running sometimes
>>
Drove a old Carbed 1964 C10 in highschool.
It worked fine as long as you used in one area.

The minute I drove to higher altitude, or temps got 2 low, it started to suck.
You can mess with the idle air screws, but it doesn't always work
>>
>>14830105
No one told me. My 750 double pumper takes 5+ minutes to warm up if its below 50 degrees
>>
>>14830282
Is that more prevalent in cars? My shadow has dual carbs and i've never noticed a difference between how it runs in the shore and up in the mountains
>>
>>14827408
Not necessarily. I dd my carbureted car

Points ignition sucks though. throw that shit away
>>
>>14831723
as in distributor ?
the newer system is coil packs but I have never seen them
>>
>>14831727
Just the "points" part

I have a distributor with a magnetic trigger and an MSD box. Works flawlessly.
>>
>>14828930
>Doesn't know about the anvil hoarder
>>
File: 121-85551k.jpg (352KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
121-85551k.jpg
352KB, 1500x1500px
>>14831735
looks like a conversion kit
might check it out when dizzy wears too much
>>
File: IMG_0038.jpg (2MB, 3456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0038.jpg
2MB, 3456x2592px
>>14831760
There is probably some oem distributors out there that you could use if you don't want the red and aluminum look.
>>
>>14827408
DD old GM Rochesters, literally no hesitation. lrn2tune
>>
>>14830123
>I've never seen an EFI system fail
In modern day culture cars are thrown away at about 8 years, before EFI has a chance to fail.
>>
>>14831760
>unironically buys a rev limiter
>>
>>14831810
How else are you going to go BAMBAMBAM before selecting d?
>>
File: Centrifugal_governor.png (44KB, 1016x845px) Image search: [Google]
Centrifugal_governor.png
44KB, 1016x845px
>>14831810
>company car used to have one of this on carburettor
>get sick of doing only 55 mph and floor it
>massive explosion followed by a boost in speed
>never tell boss
>>
>>14831838
hehe, nice

as someone who deals with golf carts regularly; defeating govenors with zip ties and safety wire is always a fun endeavor
>>
>>14827408
Carbs can be reliable but it requires preventative maintenance, like most everything else on a car.

9 times out of ten a carb will exhibit symptoms of it needing adjustment or clean long before it strands you on the road.

So if anything it would be the owners fault for the breakdown
>>
>>14831862
Been there. Unfortunately they hit valve float soon after 30mph...
At least the one I was fucking with did
>>
>>14831862
golf carts can have some really weird crashes ?
rolling onto side or backward

>at go cart track
>pretend shoe is untied
>reach under throttle pedal and adjust wing nut
>POWER UNLEASHED
>>
>>14831907
Yeah that's been my experience too. That's why I go for the ones with the taller tires :)
>>
>>14831937
Ever have experience with sleeving the rear tires with plastic? If it's a straight axle, then drifto cart?
>>
>>14831862

Used to work full time at a nearby driving range as my first job. Electric carts were good for lighter work, but we had a picker cart and a regular one, gas powered one with a carb and let me tell you, man. You get that thing on flat ground and you know what you're doing and you'll get going pretty fuckinn fast. Never rolled or crashed though
>>
>>14829372
I have two more carbs in the hatch of my fox body right now. Nobody's going to swap out an ECU or their injectors at the roadside
>>
>>14832003
i got to drift a gator cart at CotA outside turn 20 if your following the tracks direction of travel you dive down a huge hill on concrete which turns into gravel right before a big sweeping turn WOT in a gator down that hill will get you up to 50mph
>>
>>14831737
Bro,shhh
>>
>Cleaned my carbs last week
>Hands still smell of petrol
Its there for life isnt it?
>>
>>14832356
>accidently lift off PCV valve
>interior gets full on exhaust every time i drive
>clothes take a full week to wear off the scent of burnt hydrocarbons
>>
>>14827427
difference being that you are 10x more likely to break down on the road than a modern car, sure go ahead and fix it.
>>
>>14832438
Not at 200k miles. Simple wins every time.
>>
i have 4 carbed vehicles

you know well before you're completely immobile that something is up with the carb.. if you let it go to the point you're fucked that's your own stupidity

fuel injectors just shit the bed without warning
>>
>>14833419
>you know well before you're completely immobile that something is up with the carb
Gonna sound newbish but what kind of signs? Idling rough? Running too rich/lean? etc?
>>
>>14831803
Are you shitting me? Theres a reason old cars had 5 digit odometers. Barely anyone drove cars more than a decade old before the 70s and 80s, and now its common to see 15-20+ year old cars being used.
>>
>>14827427
Efi is a far simpler system, its just not as easily fixed when it does go wrong.
>>
>>14833466
exactly, running rich/lean, rough start, rough idle, fuel leaks.. short of a catastrophic structural collapse (which is exceedingly rare) you're going to notice a dodgy carb .. i've been running a bike for a few years with a sock over the air filter because i'm cheap and lazy but i know it's the carb and i know it will eventually fail if i don't fix it properly
>>
>>14833474
This. It's why model years could be so drastically different. Planned obsolescence and such.
>>
My carb'd sunny never left me stranded.

Fuel pump failure
>Sat on the hood pouring gas into the carb

New fuel pump would lose prime
>Fuel into the carb

Want to ride on the roof of the vehicle?
>All but 15 seconds to turn the idle up and leave in second
>At a steady 10mph

Like tinkering with old and dated technology?
>That's okay, it always needed cleaning & adjusting

Cold starts? Not a problem with an electronic vacuum assisted choke
>3k rpm EVERY SINGLE START - regardless the temperature
>No matter what it would sit at 3k for 30seconds

Honestly had more problems with the two carb'd vehicles I had. Just had a lot of warning signs before failure. The plow truck had a manual choke and did quite well. Just god forbid you leave fuel in it and it gums up.
>>
>>14831971
I've never had a chance to get that crazy with one.
They were all just rentals that were there for everyone, including my boss, to use.

That's a good idea though
>>
>>14827408
the cv40 carb on my harley had an accelerator pump diaphragm that was always getting eaten up by e10 gas (even the stock replacement ones from the dealer).

double check and make sure all of your hoses/diaphragms/rubber fittings can handle e10 gas, or you'll be fucking with it at least once a year, and your garage will stink like gas.
>>
>>14827408

carbs were good till the electronic emission carbs came and fuck shit up
>>
>>14833805
>sunny
That's why you were never left stranded. When datsun came around and built a reliable car, it pretty much revamped the entire auto industry
>>
>>14833474
nigga back then less people were driving shorter distances
>>
>>14833419
>fuel injectors just shit the bed without warning
a good system hardly ever fails
>>
>>14827427
>A carb is much simpler than fuel injection
Not really
>>
>>14827427
>You clan't fix an ECU or most other breakdown problems

Except that ECU failure is rare as fuck, on the order of rare as spontaneously spinning a bearing or some other completely unfixable fuckup.

Please tell us which "most other breakdown problems" you're speaking of, because you sound like a no-car.
>>
>>14835993
>Except that ECU failure is rare as fuck
this

people don't seem to understand that solid state electronics won't fail before moving parts

the electronics hate is a meme
>>
>>14827408
As someone just under 30 I never grew up around cars with carbs. After buying a bike with a carb, never, fucking ever, will I buy something besides a weedeater without EFI. Fuck carbs, fuck dealing with chokes, fuck the hassle of long term storage, elevation changes, and even the change of seasons.
>>
>>14836015
>electrolytic capacitors
>reliable
but for real electronics hate is for fools.
>>
>>14836046
I'd wager the caps will last longer than your drivetrain desu
>>
File: Al-Elko-bad-caps-Wiki-07-02-17.jpg (89KB, 439x426px) Image search: [Google]
Al-Elko-bad-caps-Wiki-07-02-17.jpg
89KB, 439x426px
>>14836065
you've obviously never had the pleasure of opening up an old ECU, nor living through the counterfeit capacitor debacle of the early 2000's.
>>
>>14835757
Good systems aren't soccormom proof.
>>
>>14833474
>>14833610
Stop scapegoating carbs.
Cars from that era came from the factory with oil leaks and maimed people from 20 mph crashes.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.