[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do u guys stop in a manual tranny? downshift or neutral coast/brake?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 5

File: jeeptranny.jpg (95KB, 618x900px) Image search: [Google]
jeeptranny.jpg
95KB, 618x900px
how do u guys stop in a manual tranny? downshift or neutral coast/brake?

also general transmission thread
>>
>>14827146
depends how I feel. clutch out in neutral and brake
engine brake
or if I'm feeling uber balling, engine brake down to idle speed, kill the engine, switch to ON, and use the engine resistance to come to a complete stop.
>>
>>14827146
Usually downshift all the way to 2nd, assisting with brakes if I'm coming in too fast, then clutch in when 2nd is at 1.5k and brake to stop. If I'm feeling lazy I'll sometimes only go down to 3rd.
>>
I typically use both engine breaking and a bit of breaks as well. I drive a pickup though and I find with all that weight its quite a bit easier and quicker to come to a stop with both. Also easier on my pads.
>>
>>14827243
Wow, I spelled brakes wrong. Excuse me while I repeat first grade.
>>
Full stops are coast in neutral while braking. Then slowing down is tap the brake then downshift to the matching gear. Anyone that drives a TJ have to clutch and brake when slowing down to avoid stalling out?
>>
Downshifting is terrible for syncros so usually neutral unless I'm feeling mad hectic
>>
>>14827485

I actually double clutch to rev-match my downshifts. I drink too much caffeine.
>>
>>14827146

The brakes.
>>
downshift to at least 3rd, 2nd if I feel like i need to. once I'm going slow enough and there's little to no engine brake left I neutral and only use brakes.

don't like leaving it in neutral and just braking to slow down >20 mph
>>
>>14827146
downshift....recently been getting the hang of heel toe with sandals

yes, sandals
>>
Downshifting to 2nd or even 1st depending on the car.
Heel-toe and/or double clutch always.
If revs are matched synchros are happy.
>>
>>14827146
Both.
>>
Depends whether you have to break suddenly or not
>>
Ride whatever gear I'm in to idle then pull into neutral the rest of the way. Only tryhard boyracers downshift through every single gear every stop
>>
>>14827830
This is the correct answer, I downshift for fun or if I get lucky predicting a light
>>
>>14827229
I also do this.
>>
>>14827830
>using tryhard boyracers to describe a way to stop a car

simply epic
>>
>>14827485
Only if you're shit. Also double clutch if you're worried about them
>>
>>14827709
This. Though I rarely go down to 2nd, it's usually 3rd until I stop.
>>
shift to neutral, brake

brakes are for braking
>>
Combination. Sometimes I neutral coast for fun.
>>
Slide to neutral coast slowly if light changes and no cop no stop float the gear and continue on
>>
>>14827161
>>14827229
>>14827243
>>14827458
>>14827485
>>14827630
>>14827669
>>14827709
>>14827735
>>14827778
>>14827802
>>14827830
Why is there no consensus on such a simple question? This isn't superstition. There should be an objective answer.
>>
Neutral and coast
Its ezpz
>>
>>14828197
Because there is more than one ok way of doing it.
>>
>>14827146
Both, sometimes I even downshift and brake at the same time when I really feel like stopping.
>>
>>14827146

I coast in neutral and brake as needed. It's easier on the drivetrain.

>>14827161
kek.
>>
>>14827146
I slam it into first, clutch out and skid to a stop with my engine revving so high the rods stretch.
>>
neutral coast/brake
>>
>>14828197
Why would there be? It's however you fuckin feel like, you sperg
>>
>>14828197
Like other anons said, it's about how you feel it.
Nonetheless if you really want to know, at the end of the day it's 'cheaper' to brake with the brakes rather than the clutch itself, and if you do brake this way, in order to cut down on the brake pads general wear you should definitely brake in neutral until you stop, and so that way you don't stress the pads that much by having to brake the car and it's whole weight + the rotational momentum from the drive train
>>
>>14828197
>my autism forces me to do things only one way

wao
>>
>>14827146
>apply the brakes and downshift to get some engine braking going
>when it's time to change down again do so
>stop in second and shift to first or neutral depending on how long I'll be stopped for
>????
>wow it's fucking nothing.jpg
>>
>>14827146
Heeltoe through 3rd to 1st, because racecar.
>>
>>14827146
Use the gears going down very big hills

Use neutral and brake every other situation
>>
>>14827146
I use the brakes
>>
>>14827229
Pretty much this. If I'm stopping, I'll go through the gears until I get to the end of second, and neutral from there.
>>
Downshift and coast, let all the hold back power do its thing. Brake when I'm ready to stop.
>>
I have a question. If I sit at a light in gear and feather the clutch to keep from rolling back. Will I burn the clutch out?
>>
>>14829987
Don't do that
>>
>>14829987
Yes.
>>
>>14829987
Yes
>>
>>14829987
Eventually, yes.

It's generally not a good idea to hold the car on the clutch because it'll heat up and burn out eventually.
>>
>>14829999
>>14830000
czech'd
>>
File: 1456719047835.jpg (78KB, 727x970px) Image search: [Google]
1456719047835.jpg
78KB, 727x970px
>>14829999
Holy dick I got quads.

Today is a good day anons.
>>
How about motorbikes? Do most people bother revmatching down or just coast with the clutch in
>>
File: 1447905235347.jpg (51KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
1447905235347.jpg
51KB, 604x340px
>>14830007
Double quads for truth.
>>
>>14830021
You don't need to rev match in bikes because wet clutch. You just slip the clutch all over the place.
>>
>>14830026
Its not the clutch though, thats putting strain on the gearbox/entire engine
>>
>>14830021
Rev matching allows your shifts to be quicker and smoother because you're spending less time slipping the clutch to match the engine and road speed up.

You don't have to do it per-se, but it's fun (imo) and can make downshifting quicker and smoother.

>>14830026
I think you're missing something.

Yes, you can slip the shit out of a wet clutch, but I don't see what that has to do with downshifting.
>>
>>14830029
Engine braking does not strain anything, just the clutch if you don't revmatch. This meme needs to die.
>>
>>14830034
Slipping clutch = wearing clutch. The whole point of revmatching is to reduce clutch slip.
>>
>>14830034
>>14830035
Huh, Im wrong them. I was always taught to revmatch since it fucked the gearbox. That makes commuting easier
>>
>>14830040
I don't think the difference in clutch wear between rev matching and slipping the clutch would be that great though.

Slipping it during low speed maneuvering would probably wear it more than downshifting would imo.
>>
>>14830043
When downshifting, you're literally using your clutch pads to bring your engine up to speed instead of, you know, gasoline.

Your car's actual speed doesn't affect wear amount, your engine speed does (slipping at a higher rpm wears more than lower rpm).
>>
>>14830051
I understand how it works, I just don't think there would be that much of a difference compared to, say, low speed maneuvering.
>>
In gear. Gear engaged. 0.0L fuel consumed

When engine about to stall from low revs, that's the latest point you engage Neutral and let the engine idle. 1.0L per Hour fuel consumed

Downshift heel and toe each gear when you are racing or hooning.

So long as you don't just go back to neutral and roll with nothing but brakes assisting your stop, you are doing it right.
>>
Pop it into neutral and stop with my brakes.
>>
>>14827146
its cheaper to replace brake pads than syncros and clutches. Downshifting to first while above 10mph is the worst possible thing you could do as it puts alot of friction and heat into the first gear syncros.

Plus, most of the cars ive ever driven have all been far too loud to downshift without annoying everyone around me when im just coming up to a stoplight.
>>
>>14830051
your mostly right, higher rpm the more wear between the flywheel and clutch disc. However another large amount of wear is because of torque being driven through the clutch disc.

Say you were to start off in a higher gear than normal, although you wont have very high rpm's if you could give it full throttle and let out the clutch normally you would be shearing the face of the clutch disc off due to all of the increased load its attempting to couple with. So to all reading this with a manual car, low throttle input and low rpm's plus quick clutch actuation = longest clutch life.
>>
>>14830262
You may as well be driving a slushbox auto.
>>
File: 1438287253587.jpg (128KB, 549x685px) Image search: [Google]
1438287253587.jpg
128KB, 549x685px
>>14827146

The pedals in my s10 make it damn near impossible to heel toe, so I just throw it in neutral and use the brakes.
>>
File: 1457899170801.jpg (18KB, 259x240px) Image search: [Google]
1457899170801.jpg
18KB, 259x240px
>>14830026

Do you even ride a bike? Yes you can slip a wet clutch a lot more than you can a dry clutch, but that doesn't mean you just ride around slipping the clutch willy nilly. When you downshift, you still rev match like you would in a car.
>>
>>14830502
>not 333.jpg
One job
>>
>>14830512
>mfw all these manualfags
Kek in my auto i just stop

Sure i go through some brake pads but its like every 2-3years+
>>
Do people actually go into neutral to brake?
Why don't you just put the clutch in?
>>
>>14830525
easier just to unload the gears by giving the engine a tiny bit of throttle and pushing/pulling the gearshifter into neutral without pushing the clutch in.
>>
>>14830525

That wears out your throw out bearing faster. The less time you spend with the clutch disengaged, the better.
>>
>>14830026
>dont need to rev match
>just sllip the clutch everywhere
>dont need to match

Ill be seeing your mortuary in the paper sometime soon, motorcyclist goes off cliff rear tire started skidding when he "slipped the clutch" while downshifting and didnt rev match.
>>
Depends on the situation,

Freeway offramp, clutch in, heel toe rev match and brake usually in 2nd or 3rd.
Red light normal time coast in gear til low rpm, clutch, then neutral and brake.

pussies with shit cars who don't have floor mounted pedals don't like heel toe downshifts simply because it's awkward on their feet.
>>
>>14830541
>it's easier to just lose control of the car and hope you brake gently enough to make it to the line/car in front
>>
>>14827161
I actually had to do that when my brakes failed, and I didnt have a working hand brake. turned off the engine, and used it to stop the car after engine braking to the slowest speed possible.
>>
Brakes are way cheaper than engine and tranny parts. Unless im on a track or driving stupid in a canyon Im using neutral/clutch and my brake pads.
>>
>>14831421
Now thats actually smart. Most people would freak out and just let their car crash. Good on ya
>>
>>14830450
Nah. I regularly get 5-6 mpg better than the factory estimated fuel economy. If you car was to use fuel while in neutral its a negligible amount. Would rather use a little more fuel (if that is indeed the way it works) and replace brakes than replace my clutch sooner.
>>
Roll in gear till the revs get low enough, then downshift etc etc, this as much as possible, and brakes to come to a stop.
>>
I fucked up my jag getting hektik so I'm driving my brothers diesel jetta until I import a gc8 STi. Since diesels have fuck all for engine braking, I just throw it into neutral while coasting and I pop it back into whatever gear suits the speed if I don't completely stop, usually 2nd. It's fun to drive because it has no tach (clock instead) and the speedo doesn't work so it's 100% guesswork. I got really good at making the shifts undetectable on my first time driving it. I found that quickly releasing the clutch to the bite point after selecting the next gear, then releasing it in a controlled manner and giving gas, makes it shift smoother than my jag did. Which is interesting because whenever I rode in this car with my brother, I felt the thump of the clutch on every shift.

I'm never going back to auto tragic. You guys were right.
>>
I downshift trying to rev match until reaching the lower rev limit of third and then engage the clutch and brake because rev matching second and first is too choppy and seems rather pointless.
>>
>>14827630
>autism
>>
>>14832735
Staying in gear and changing down isn't going to have a measurable effec on clutch plate lifespan. It's like a drop of water in the ocean.
Again, If you're coasting on deceleration without the drive mechanically locked up, you may as we'll be driving a slushbox auto.
>>
>>14827146
In truck driver school (and when taking CDL test) we're taught and required to always keep the truck "under controlled power" meaning you're keeping it in gear and/or downshifting while coming to a controlled stop or to slow down.
Basically not allowed to just freewheel coasting out of gear for more than a few seconds.
Theory being, you're not keeping the vehicle under an acceptable level of control if you're just coasting along in traffic relying on your brakes to make reductions in speed or coming to a complete stop.
>>
>>14833321
the difference here is that truck transmissions do not have syncros, meaning if you have too high of an rpm spread between the gears it may be impossible for you to get it in gear, such as when your going down a hill loaded.

>>14833229
possibly immeasurable wear on the clutch the transmission will tell a different story.
>>
>>14827146
I'm not good at judging how much my engine brake slows me down
>tfw in 4th, swap to third, suddenly going ~25 MPH in a 45 zone with enough distance to get to fifth and still stop
So for now I'm just popping it into neutral and coasting down, brakes to stop me completely, slide it into 2nd before I stop, 1st as I stop.

I think it might just be this close-ratio integra transmission though, thing is really quick-paced. I'm out of first within a portion of a second even when I'm driving regularly.
>>
>>14829987
thrust bearing is only expecting to be used for a few seconds, and not to get bacon-frying hot; holding on the bite for minutes at a time will melt the grease out and then the bearing will collapse.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.