[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright boys I'm sort of running out of ideas here. The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: _Timing-Chain-Failure-N47-2.0D.jpg (36KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
_Timing-Chain-Failure-N47-2.0D.jpg
36KB, 800x600px
Alright boys I'm sort of running out of ideas here. The timing chain on my E90 snapped last night and I am trying to work out if i've gone and mangled my valves.

Without using a scope, is there any way of checking for valve damage while the chain is off the car?

Would suck to fit a new chain and shit only to find the whole thing has to come apart again.
>>
>>14799660
.. if you broke the chain, the valves ARE damaged..
>>
Interference motor?

>%100 chance you mangled some of your valves and pistons
>%100 chance your motor needs to be torn down and rebuilt.
>>
>>14799660
If the chain snapped while the engine was running (obviously), you've damaged something inside the engine. You're gonna need a rebuild
>>
>>14799668
>>14799669
>>14799713

/thread
>>
>>14799765

Pretty much. Thanks for the replies guys.
>>
>>14799660
Fake and gay
>>
>>14799669

But it's not. I still remember my brother in a Holden Nova (Toyota Corolla) that was a belt driven interference design. His timing belt snapped in the driveway and it stalled against the clutch straight away. The mechanic he towed the car to couldn't believe it, no mechanical damage.
>>
>>14799799
Then you should be good senpai
>>
>>14799660
Didn't BMW recall this engine for exactly this problem?

If the engine was recall, and you were not sent notice, let BMW replace the engine for free.

If the engine was recalled, and you were noticed and DIDN'T take it in, you are an ass. They may replace it anyway.
>>
Take chain fully off, spin motor over a few times to see if it hits anything, then do compression test
>>
>>14800101
This
>>
>>14800082

BMW never took responsibility for failed timing chains. The main issue was that some engines like the N47 had the timing chain at the back of the engine where any service required the engine to come out.

>>14800101
>>14800114

With the chain fully off the valves and pistons are bound to collide though?
>>
>>14800229
No because they will be closed, you can check it though to make sure it isnt on the tip of a lobe, but I think the chain coming off at 200-1500rpm would solve that.
>>
>>14800256
Taking the chain off doesn't magically close the valves
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.