[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about lowering urban speed limits across the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

What do you think about lowering urban speed limits across the board to no more than 20mph in cities?

A pedestrian hit by a car traveling at 20 mph has a 5% chance of dying. At 30 mph, the fatality rate increases to 45%, and to 85% at 40 mph.

There is a certain "normalization of risk" to the point where people being hit by cars is being treated as a regular everyday occurrence. We need to change that.

Once drivers become accustomed to the changes, lower speeds would become the norm. New standards would reinforce the idea in drivers' minds that they have to slow down on city streets.
>>
>>14786477
sure
>>
>>14786477
Too many people in the world, fuck saving more of them.
>Go 60 mph in city streets
>>
>>14786477
how about pay attention when you cross the fucking road?
>>
>>14786486
It was the automobile industry that invented the concept of jaywalking, which pushed pedestrians onto sidewalks and let cars reign over the streets.

Stop blaming pedestrians when the near-monopoly motor vehicles have on movement and urban design stacks the deck against the pedestrian. Many neighbourhoods offer no alternatives to cars for transportation. Instead of walkability and pedestrian safety, here in North America city planning tends to focus on traffic movement.
>>
>>14786510
Cant talk for cityfolk but in my town people really want to get mowed down.
passing the street without even looking one way is just natural selection reminding us that it's still doing its job.
dont worry I'll hit the brakes. Then I'll call you a fucking idiot for trying to kill yourself
>>
>>14786477
surely we need more light rail and high speed rail
just plan supermarkets and large industry around trunk lines then use a more containerised system

all public transport between city's by high speed rail
inter ward transport by light rail
inner city by foot or bike

consign cars to rural areas where their application is more expedient and they are more enjoyable to drive
>>
>>14786477

I approve.

Highways should be capped at 65 too.
>>
Underground tunnels for pedestrians. No surface walking if you don't have a car. Stay underground where you belong, you filthy pede.
>>
>itt: anons that have played too much cities:skylines and think they're urban planners now
>>
>>14786477
Jaywalkers fuck off
>>
>>14786510
>monopoly on motor vehicles
I don't think you know what any of those words mean.
>>
>>14786510
>Not wanting to walk for hours to get somewhere that even in traffic takes 20 minutes.

Thats why we emphasize on roads for vehicles. Its like people think that European cities have any relavence to US ones.
>>
>>14786477
US is too fucking big. I'd rather you just put a waist-high wall on sidewalks desu.
>>
File: photo.png (97KB, 263x263px) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
97KB, 263x263px
>>14786694
Oh your trying to trigger this thread
>>
>>14786477
almost the case in major yuro cities
tons of 30kph zones
it's understandable but speed limits are pretty arbitrary
there are times you'd drive 70kph on a 30 limit street without any danger
>>
File: V1U4Avj.gif (688KB, 664x714px) Image search: [Google]
V1U4Avj.gif
688KB, 664x714px
>influx of cali fags to my state
>they all think bike laws are the same here
>mfw they're almost the exact opposite, bikes belong on the fucking sidewalk if they can't keep up with traffic unless there's a designated bike lane
>bikes are not allowed on highways PERIOD
>mfw I still see soccor moms tutting around at 5mph in the middle of a car lane when there's a perfectly empty sidewalk next to them
>they also teach their little shit kids that this is the proper way to bike
>>
>>14787177
Also, here's the law if anyone was interested.

42-4-1412. Operation of bicycles and other human-powered vehicles.

(5) Any person riding a bicycle shall ride in the right-hand lane. When
being overtaken by another vehicle, such person shall ride as close to
the right-hand side as practicable.

>Where a paved shoulder suitable for bicycle riding is present, persons operating bicycles shall ride on the paved shoulder.

These provisions shall apply, except under any of
the following situations:
(a) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle
proceeding in the same direction;
(b) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private
road or driveway;
(c) When reasonably necessary to avoid hazardous conditions,
including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, parked or
moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals, or surface hazards.
>>
>more laws

yeah no thanks, comrade.
>>
>>14787218
Not more laws, but changing the current law. There is already a speed limit in place. But it should be lowered.
>>
i'm fine with it as long as they take the money from tickets and put it towards installing or widening sidewalks along those city streets
>>
>>14787130
They're soul crushing I wish I lived in a small town where things are situated close together
>>
>>14787191
A sidewalk is not a paved shoulder.
>>
File: 1442526664441.gif (3MB, 281x295px) Image search: [Google]
1442526664441.gif
3MB, 281x295px
>have to drive 50 minutes through urban shopping centres to get to work
>making commutes even more painful because mongs won't pay attention when crossing the street
yeah nah, fuck off cunt
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (35KB, 607x608px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
35KB, 607x608px
Fuck this thread and anyone who agrees lowering the speed limit would be good. Low speed limits, coordinated stop lights, stop signs, speed bumps all serve to deteriorate the driving experience.

The real issue? Society forgets that we drive multi-ton machines of metal. YOU WILL FUCKING DIE IF YOU GET IN FRONT OF IT. So use your goddam eyes and ears to avoid the much larger and harder to stop object with your nimble human body - unless you're a fat fuck with no spacial awareness and think the world revolves around YOU when you simply exist in the space where everyone else does.

tl;dr cars go fast and should be able to, people should avoid cars because that's much easier to do

>pic related is a meme but not
>>
>>14787191

it's funny that America is very iffy about laws until it comes to laws about bicycles, then those laws are THE law to follow

there's nothing wrong with non-competitive bicycles on sidewalks

but all bicycles should be removed from roads with 35 mph+ speed limits for everyone's safety

or else they can just lobby to have money put into installing bike lanes
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
/n/ please go
>>
>>14788396

>driving experience

stop

go

stop

go

stop

go

turn

go

stop

to quote a wise man

>muh experience

you guys need to recognize that cars are utility vehicles first and foremost and methods of entertainment last
>>
ITT
>>
>>14788396
>muh driving experience
Who gives a shit. Most people prefer walking.
>>
>>14788474
>Most people prefer walking.
yeah cause they don't have a car
>>
>>14786477

Why are you normalising and accepting a 5% fatality rate OP? It's too high. Lower the limit to 1mph.
>>
>>14786477
Frig off hombre.
>>
>>14786477
Risk is normal.
>>
>>14787177
>>bikes are not allowed on highways PERIOD
Wait, there are places that allow bikes on highways? What the FUCK?
>>
>>14789813
Still too dangerous. A public official should have to walk in front of all vehicles carrying a red flag and a whistle.
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 500x308px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 500x308px
>protecting people from their own stupidity

This is exactly what's wrong with the world.

We aren't letting the incredibly stupid kill themselves off because muh feels.
>>
File: 1459275434057.png (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1459275434057.png
21KB, 500x500px
>>14788412
>or else they can just lobby to have money put into installing bike lanes
That's a great idea. Increase traffic congestion, raise road tax (that bikers don't pay any extra for) all to turn some normal lane into a bike only one that is literally never used.
>mfw I've lived in this neighborhood four fucking years and I've seen people using the dedicated bike lane once
>they seriously pulled a full car lane the length of about a mile just to make it a bike lane that no one uses
>this has caused numerous jams because there's so many turn offs on the road that everyone has to wait for the front guy to turn instead of being able to go around in the other lane
>>
>>14789975
Dutchfag here. Invest in proper infrastructure and education. ESPECIALLY education.
Shit works.
>>
>>14789985
>it works in a small ass country so why doesn't it work in america

fucking idiot
>>
>>14789985
>Dutchfag here
Fuck. The. Hell. Off. I'm sick of you europeshits thinking that just because it works for you, it works for everyone. Your entire country is worth two of our cities.
>>
>>14790001
And why wouldn't it work in American cities? Make sure people know they should use bike lanes, make sure cyclists stay as far to the right as they can if there's no dedicated bike lane, basic shit like that.
>>
>>14790027
All of our infrastructure is based around cars on the road and pedestrians on the sidewalk. It would cost billions to redesign it all to function with bike traffic and since they don't have to pay any kind of insurance or tax or fee or anything for using their bike on public roads, all the cost gets dumped on the 99% of the tax payers that don't ride bikes outside a once a month sunday ride through the park.
>>
>>14789985
>Invest in proper infrastructure
We can barely afford to maintain our current roads. There's something like three times as much road per tax payer in the US than the next highest country.
>>
>>14789975
Not everyone's city is as retarded as yours. Here bike lanes are wide enough for a single bike and they're basically in the gutter.
>>
>>14790043
That's why I said, "ESPECIALLY education". Make sure people know how to act, both cyclists and drivers. That alone would cut down on a lot of "SHARE THE ROAD"-related bullshit.
>>
>>14790027
because no one takes his bike to anywhere besides entitled shitheads

>forcing people to cycle a several miles everyday
>>
>>14790056
Which is how they should be. Thing is, most cities never planned for them so it's a full lane or nothing because there's no room to stick in a bike lane without doing massive amounts of reconstruction.
>>
>>14790056
>...in the gutter

Right where they belong.
>>
>>14790058
I didn't say anything about forcing people to take the bike.
>>
I like Denmark:
>walk onto street as pedestrian
>even on "zebra crossing"
>cause accident
>you're at fault
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.