[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's wrong with buying a new car, /o/? Full story: I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 1458184814211.jpg (63KB, 635x477px) Image search: [Google]
1458184814211.jpg
63KB, 635x477px
What's wrong with buying a new car, /o/?

Full story: I just got a part time job (unifag) and my parents are pressuring me into buying a new car. My dad says it'll have less problems and if I were to get a used car I would still be making the same payments. I've been making the rounds in a beater from the last millennium with 250k miles on it that burns oil and gets terrible mileage, but I think getting a new car would be living beyond my means considering I have rent and electricity, not to mention tuition, to pay.

Also my dad will insist on cosigning so if I lose my job or run into an unexpected expense unrelated to the car, they'll have to help me out while I find a new job, and they're not exactly financially well off right now.

I feel like it's opposite world, with me wanting a used car from a few years back and my parents pressuring me into getting a brand new one.

I've already brought up depreciation and the fact that my job isn't really secure, but they keep insisting.

>tl;dr help me convince my parents that new cars are a waste of money
>pic unrelated
>>
The second you buy a new car you are losing money on your investment.
>>
My parents pressured me the same and I ended up giving into to getting a new car but I work a stable government job so I don't really have to worry about it financially, I also have 2 shit boxes to fall back on if I can't make the payments on the new one anymore. Just do what you feels right.
>>
File: 1457838394247.jpg (9KB, 291x343px) Image search: [Google]
1457838394247.jpg
9KB, 291x343px
>>14784196

I've already mentioned depreciation thinking they would understand what it means but I guess they don't really care since I'm the one that's going to be paying.

>>14784208

>tfw part-time retail
>>
>>14784189
cars are like women, some prefer used, full of std ones, and other prefer clean virgin ones, both have vaginas and will suck you money anyway

now, talking seriously, if you don't drive like an idiot, a new car have the advantage of warranty and a teorical whole year of almost service-free usage, while an used car, even if serviced at the moment of purchase, can break at any moment and become a money pit.
>>
>>14784189
I mean if you are gonna drive a new car to hell and back then its a good investment I guess. Just don't go balls out. Keep it cheap like a truck or an econoshitbox
>>
>>14784189
>considering I have rent and electricity, not to mention tuition, to pay.
It's your money, tell them no. If you're paying your own bills, then you can decide for yourself. If you want a used car, get a used car.
>>
>>14784196
Cars are not an investment, faggot.
>>
>>14784755

>while an used car, even if serviced at the moment of purchase, can break at any moment and become a money pit

Even one from only a few years back? I always thought used cars sub-30k miles were practically new and would let me get around the whole depreciation thing that /o/ seems to hate new cars for.

>>14784789

But realistically this car will be one that I'll be driving for probably the next half-decade or until I graduate, so I want something I won't get tired of.
>>
Buy a gently used car that has something like 20-30k miles.

That way you escape the jew lot premium and don't have a shitbox that'll need constant repair.
>>
>>14784189
How much cash do you have on hand for a down payment? (or to buy outright)
>>
>>14784823
This, basically
My family's fleet of shitboxes were all bought 1 year old with low milage and we've just been riding them for the past decade and a half
>>
>>14784196
>car
>investment

No it's an asset.

What kinds of cars were you thinking OP?
>>
>>14784822
Depends on how often you will be driving in that amount of time. If its only going to be for half a decade or when you graduate look into getting something used. A new car isn't worth the money for that amount of time unless you will be constantly driving

>unifag here as well
>>
>>14784830

almost a thousand

not much, I know, but I will get more as soon as this semester is over and I can take on more hours

>>14784858

In terms of brand new I was looking at a Ford Taurus, it doesn't look too bad, has decent mileage, 365 horsepower, and seats five so me and my buddies can go places. The Honda Accord also fits the bill though it has less power and the V6 doesn't come in manual.

In terms of used I assume I would be able to go a little higher, so I want something powerful and fast (after a year driving a 5-speed with less than 100 horsepower I crave speed). I was looking at the Challenger earlier (inb4 pigfat) and also the Genesis Coupe.

>>14784885
I drive about 150 miles a week (not counting the commute to work) because I go back home over the weekend, about 30 min away. I'm currently on track to graduate in 4 years, so I want something that won't be boring at least.
>>
>>14784942
How much do you make a month?
>>
>>14784961

after rent, electricity, groceries, and other assorted expenses I have about 350 left over a month
>>
>>14784942
Sheeeit. 150 a week? I drive 50-100 a day. My used truck is getting some serious miles. So I guess you should look into something used. What would be your price range and mileage? I'd say a sedan like charger or some shit. Roomy, fun to drive, fast, decent mileage etc
>>
>>14784189
Your parents are trying to both buy you a warranty and build your credit rating. With your name on the car loan, the credit you're building can do you favors in the future.

The money lost on buying new/used is trivial compared to having a good credit rating, as credit is often more valuable than cash on hand when it comes to other big ticket purchases. /o/ will never understand this because /o/ are cucks that pay cuck rent money
>>
Motorcycle. Cheap, speed, manly, and great on gas.

>>14784972
That not much for a car payment. How much could you get for your beater if you sold it?
>>
>>14784942
Get the last available v6 accord sedan in a manual then (2007?)
>$10k maximum
>you already have 10% down and will have more soon
wham bam thank you ma'am
>>
>>14784972
OK so you shouldn't spend more than 10-20% of your income on a car payment. But you have to take into account that your insurance and property taxes will go up. I'd just wait until you can buy a civic for 5k tops.
>>
>>14784977
>>14785009

I would love a used car but like I said my dad will be cosigning so he has a bit of sway in what I will be buying. They'll go so far as to cover my rent if it means I make the car payment.

>>14784992

I hadn't really thought of that, but there is a very real chance that I would lose my job and the car, which would wreak havoc on both mine and my dad's credit.

>>14785003

I would absolutely love a motorcycle, but muh protective mom would die if I showed up on one.

My rent will soon go down because I'm getting new roommates with a new lease; I've calculated my "leftover" per month will be more like $400-450. This puts me firmly in boring econobox territory.

The beater? Tell me what you would pay for it:

>243k miles
>burns oil
>cracked muffler
>engine knocks
>mileage is shit
>flea market speakers
>a/c no longer works
>have to double-clutch on shift between 1st and 2nd because synchro is gone
>surely a chipped gear or two from bad shifts
>>
>>14785037

I hate civics with a passion. Don't ask why.

Also I just remembered my parents don't like Honda at all so I guess the Accord is out of the question.

What do you guys think about the Nissan Altimar? Any tips for model/year I should be looking for?
>>
>>14784942
>The Honda Accord also fits the bill though it has less power and the V6 doesn't come in manual.

It actually does, I heard there hard to find on dealership lots though. Cool points for being available in a coupe too.

Also only the taurus SHO makes 365 horsepower, The normal Taurus only has 240(which the accord made like 13 years ago)
>>
>>14785143
Never buy cars on "what ifs". You might have roommates to help now but if they moved out you'd have to come up with everything yourself. You might get some more hours temporarily but you could also get less hours. You shouldn't have a car payment right now. If you want to build credit get a credit card.
>>
>>14785143
Base or mid model new Mazda6?
No v6 option though
>>
>>14785165
Fuck off with your bias. There's literally nothing wrong with Hondas that doesn't apply to other econoboxes.
>>
>>14785176
The camry is good too, if a little boring. Just as fast as all the other V6 sedans though

Fanboys on /o/ will tell you different, but Toyota and Honda are the way to go when buying Japanese
>>
>>14785143
You seem like a cuck so may as well listen to your parents and get that new car. They're willing to help you with it anyway.
If you can take care of yourself then that's a different story.
>>
>>14784189
the only time I would buy a new car is if I needed unconditional reliability and couldn't afford to own two cars.
>>
>>14784189
If nobody bought new cars then how are you gonna get your used cars then faggot
>>
>>14785467

from the used car factory :^)

>>14785176

damn. I was starting to like the taurus

>>14785183

I agree, which is why I'm trying to convince my parents I don't need a new car, which is why I made this thread. Also my new roommates are likely to stick around because they're dependent on their parents and we have cosigners.

>>14785202
fuck you

>>14785222
I was also looking at the camry, I hear its surprisingly fast. nothing against buying japanese

>>14785233

I'm not a cuck, friend

if they were to help me pay for it, then I would feel like a cuck

it's not like I don't like the idea of a new car, I'm just being realistic
>>
>>14784189
buying; nothing wrong. leasing is where its bad.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.