[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can the engine still put power to the wheels even when the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: Manual-Transmission.jpg (70KB, 968x643px) Image search: [Google]
Manual-Transmission.jpg
70KB, 968x643px
Why can the engine still put power to the wheels even when the clutch is not fully out, with your foot off the clutch?

From what I know about how they work the clutch seems like an all or nothing type of deal. Yet I know you can get most cars and motorcycles can get moving if you let the clutch out slowly enough on level ground.
>>
>>14783514
why do people ask so many retarded questions here now? fuck off and google it you wanker
>>
Because the clutch isn't an on or off thing, it's a gradual thing. With the clutch in, it lets the engine and transmission spin at different speeds.
>>
>>14783514
If the clutch is partially engaged it's just touching the flywheel lightly so only a little bit of torque transfers through it.
>>
>>14783514
The clutch is not an on-off switch. In my car it feels like one but I digress
>>
>from what I know
You don't know shit OP.
>>
Man, it feels like manual gearboxes are some sort of fearful mythical creatures for Americans.

Fucking +80yo yuro grannies drive fucking stick, why is it so hard for burgerland?
>>
>>14783514
why do you think the clutch is on or off? If you take a drill and a hole-cutting bit, and spin it up really fast and then apply it to your forehead, it takes a while for the drill to stop moving doesn't it? Same principle.
>>
>>14783576
It's almost like we don't have resources available to teach us and predominantly drive automatics. Do you think before you post or are you just looking for any excuse to cry about Americans?
>>
>>14783593
For the record I've been driving manual for a while and taught myself
>>
>>14783568
That's why I asked
>>
File: notto disu shitto agen.jpg (156KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
notto disu shitto agen.jpg
156KB, 1920x1080px
>>14783576
>>
>>14783576
t. Eurofag who drives 1/10th as much as the average American does in a year
>>
Christ, it's not rocket science you fat Americans. It's a fucking clutch. It's not like a digital signal where you get the signal or not. It's like analog signal - you either get nothing, something staticy, better, or best.

That's literally it.

And Americans wonder why certain car manufacturers in the US stopped making manual based cars.
>>
>>14783514
>claims to know how a clutch works
>all or nothing type deal
Pick one and only one
>>
>>14783634
They stopped making them because people stopped buying them. And because Americans can afford automatic unlike europe.
>>
>>14783576
lifting your leg off the clutch pedal is hard when said leg weighs 73 kilos
>>
>>14783514
On the microscopic level, the clutch material deforms slightly, stretches, then gives way during slip. An increase in clamping force (letting the pedal out) means that this material can grab harder and thus has to deform more before it slips.

The frictional force that opposes motion of the flywheel on the engine side is perpendicular and proportional to clamping (normal) force. More clamping force means more frictional force, which means more power is transmitted.

tl;dr contact dynamics are weird
>>
>>14783634
>>14783651
M8s, if you live in a desert with no swimming pools, you're not gonna know how to swim unless you really like swimming. Same principal with manual transmissions here.
>>
>>14783648
>can afford automatics
is that why americans drive 40 year old shitboxes?
>>
>>14783656
>tl;dr contact dynamics are weird
True, but so is the rest of the post. Eloquently written, at that
>>14783659
I think something like <5% of cars sold in the states are manuals now.
>>14783662
well memed friend, go redline your 0.8 liter shitbox
>>
>>14783656
To add on to this a little.. it may seem on/off because the coefficient of static friction (when the clutch is fully engaged and both parts are moving as one) is higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction. So, there's less frictional force until the plates lock together, then you get more frictional force. There's kind of a jump in the amount of power you can transmit.
>>
File: 1457030532259.png (804KB, 726x610px) Image search: [Google]
1457030532259.png
804KB, 726x610px
>>14783667
>muh 7 liter engine for hauling muh 200 kilo ass
>>
File: For_what_purpose.jpg (25KB, 323x454px) Image search: [Google]
For_what_purpose.jpg
25KB, 323x454px
>>14783563
>tfw clutch engages at the floor
>>
>>14783714
kek

American cars are so shitty that they need 5L V8s to compete with 2L |4 turbo econoboxes.
>>
>>14783576
Drivers Ed clases in high school teach automatics and most "3rd party" driving schools only teach autos. You don't need to learn stick for your liscense. It's not a matter of not being able to, but just never being taught. Most people just get comfy with auto for years and don't like the idea of change.

source: am burger who learned on automatic, but now drive a manual.
>>
>>14783656
finally a real post. I was beginning to think this board was all about car "culture", and personal attacks.
>>
>>14783514
Go take a high school physics class and learn how friction works.
>>
>>14783735

Lengthen the master cylinder pushrod if you have a hydraulic clutch. Shorten the cable on the slave cylinder adjustment if cable operated.
>>
>>14785985
Canada here, basically this. Knowing how to drive stick is like a mythical peer-based knowledge. There is no such thing as a manual driving school (at least nothing close to where I live, and I live in a major urban center). The knowledge has to be passed down by a friend or parent. If you don't know anyone who drives stick, you're basically not learning (or trying to learn via youtube lol).

I eventually learned at 19 when I got to know some car people at uni.

>>14783659
This is a very good analogy.
>>
>>14783514
Think of a clutch as reversed brakes.
You aren't either locking up or not braking.
>>
>>14786404
The only explanation for "how friction works" you'll get at a highschool level is "it just does ok".
>>
>>14786918
>american education
>>
>>14786918
Holy shit I never even though about that and now it's as mysterious as magnets to me.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.