[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for some advice here. I'm thinking about getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 083670.jpg (235KB, 1150x943px) Image search: [Google]
083670.jpg
235KB, 1150x943px
Looking for some advice here. I'm thinking about getting a 4bbl carb and dual plane manifold for my 61 Chrysler. It currently has a 2bbl carb.

What considerations should I take into account when selecting the carb manifold? Is it necessary to upgrade the camshaft also? What should I expect in terms of performance with a 4bbl instead of a 2bbl carb?

Forgive me if these questions are will be have had been being have are having had been some obvious simple things. My interest in cars is more about aesthetics over performance. I'm not too car savvy when it comes to choosing performance parts.

All help is appreciated.
>>
>>14777258
Go do some research on your engine, because if you buy too big of a carb you will have shit performance that you won't be able to tune out of. Rookie mistake is putting a fuckhueg carb that you got because reasons onto an engine that doesn't want it. Specifically look at how much airflow your engine wants (cfm range), and match that with your carb.
>>
>>14777258
If you're just changing the carb and intake then you won't benefit much from something that's too high performance.

Most dual planes should work well. Notably the weiands and edelbrocks. Don't get an "air gap" or any kind that doesn't have a heat riser.

The carb you pictured will work well. A vacuum secondary carb in the 750-600 range will work good.
You might check out the summit brand carbs. They are a copy of holley's copy of the ford autolite carbs. They are priced well and only have one gasket unlike holleys which have many.

You don't need to change the camshaft.
>>
>>14777320

How do I find out how much airflow my engine need?
>>
>>14777482
This will give you a rough idea of what CFM you need http://www.csgnetwork.com/cfmcalc.html
>>
>>14777258
>Engine displacement.
>>
>>14779442
If he has a decent Chrysler it should have the 413 Wedge. But I don't think they made a 2 barrel 413.
>>
File: 1280280215932.jpg (4KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1280280215932.jpg
4KB, 250x250px
>>14777258
HOLD YOUR HORSES OP!

First of all what motor do you have?
Chances are you have an RB big block (413) if it's a 61 Chrysler. But is the motor original? Because if you have a B (or low deck) big block then you'll run the risk of buying the wrong intake.

RB and B Chrysler bigblocks have different deck heights, resulting in non-interchangeable intake manifolds.

RB's are the 413, 426(NOT HEMI), and 440
B's are 361, 383, and 400
There are VERY rare motors like the RB383 which is nearly nonexistent so you needn't worry. Then you have Max Wedge motors and of course the Gen 1 and 2 Hemi's. None of which are a 2bbl big block.

Regarding your desired cfm. If your only upgrade is going to be an intake/carb with the stock cam for a 2bbl set up then there's no reason you should exceed anything bigger than a 750cfm with choke and vacuum secondaries. You could even buy a cheap edelbrock "econo" carb (600-650cfm) which are ridiculously easy to mess with. Considering "aesthetics" are your main goal i wouldn't even go near the 750, I'm just informing you what not to exceed when making a decision.

And stick with a dual plane intake manifold. You don't need some large plenum volume single plane intake with exceedingly tall runners if you have a stock "low-end" cam profile.
>>
>>14780019
And here I was thinking there was nobody else on /o/ who still knew their shit. Shine on you magnificent stallion.
>>
>>14780019

Listen to this guy. Figure out your engine and go from there, a budget Edelbrock 1405 or 1406 if you want an electronic choke can be had for $300-350 new, not remanufactured, and another $150ish for the performer intake.

You won't see a ton of gains off an intake and carb swap, but if you coupled it with some headers and exhaust, you could easily see 40-60hp and equal ft lbs out of it.
>>
>>14777366
>Don't get an "air gap" or any kind that doesn't have a heat riser.

nigga, deleting my old heat riser and going with an air gap was one of the best things i've done to my old truck.
it just takes 2min longer to warm up.
>>
>>14779503

361. It's a Canadian Windsor which is equivalent to the Newport.

>>14780019

Motor is original. It is the B block. Hemi's were not available for my car that year.

>>14780078

That's fine with me. Not looking for a lot of gains, just a little bit of extra oomph.
Also. thanks for all the advice everyone.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.