[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking to get a used vehicle for these criteria: 1)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: snowcar.jpg (74KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
snowcar.jpg
74KB, 800x600px
I'm looking to get a used vehicle for these criteria:

1) Is reasonably simple to work on in my own garage
2) Has AWD or 4WD capabilities for moving through snow
AWD or 4WD are not necessary per se, but the main reason I'm looking at a new vehicle is to get me into the Sierras a few times per year
3) Parts are easy to find or cheap
4) Is reliable or at least has predictable faults that I can mitigate

I haven't really come up with a price limit, but the cheaper the better. I'm just really unfamiliar with anything but 2 wheel drive vehicles and I could use some advice.

I'm currently driving a 94 Volvo 940. I've never taken it to the snow, but I imagine that, even with chains, the RWD would be hazardous.

For those of you who drive in the snow often, is a RWD vehicle manageable, or too risky for steep mountain passes?
>>
Subaru Legacy GT.

Turbo charged, AWD, relatively cheap, and not as molested as WRXs and shit.

On top of that, it's a cozier car and insurance is cheaper.

>source: I own one
>>
>>14772031
You can also try the mazdaspeed6, same deal as the legacy.
>>
>>14772031
Is any year good?

Turbo is nice, but I'm wondering if that might still raise my insurance a little too much.
>>
>>14772031

this.
>>
>>14772101
Get the standard Legacy. Non turbo charged gets about 175 HP and zips along fine. If this a daily and you don't need to go fast, go for it.

I find them around 6-8grand around here. Very cheap and reliable. Just don't go launching it. The tranny isn't as strong as a Honda and can't take much abuse. But will last you well if you maintain it and don't drive like a madman.

Also. Very safe vehicles and are loves by insurance companies.
>>
>>14772700
The Legacy seems like a good idea.

What about the Forester? I'm not partial to one or the other, I just don't know the difference.

Someone near me is selling a 2004 Forester XT turbo for 6K
>>
>>14771980
Tires will matter more than power train.
>>
>>14771980
caldina GTT or celica GT4
>>
>>14772737
True but local laws also favor AWD in CA if you are traveling in the winter to the mountains.
>>
Suzuki. Absolutely dirt cheap compared to everything else especially a Subaru. My Aerio has AWD, gets 30mpg highway, and is an absolute breeze to work on.
>>
>>14773856
I was thinking of Suzuki as well. If OP lives in US, sx4 would be an option.
>>
>>14772734
Foresters are great cars besides being ugly as fuck. Great ground clearance for snow. Turbo has plenty of power to spare.
>>14772737
This anon is also right. Get a sperate set of snow tires on a different set of wheels just for that driving.
>>
Honda CR-V, don't go past 2003 though, and get a manual 5 speed.
>>
File: image.jpg (333KB, 1569x1569px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
333KB, 1569x1569px
If you're looking for something in the 10-20k range, you could stick with Volvo and buy a V70/S60 R like you pictured with super fucking low miles in mint condition.
I had one that I totaled, amazing stock sound system, repairs are a little pricy, but damn fast and pretty luxurious.
AWD is fucking insanely good too, could drive in two inches of snow pretty well for a sedan.
>>
File: SeX4.jpg (231KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
SeX4.jpg
231KB, 1280x720px
>>14773865
^this.

SX4 AWD manual.
>>
File: b55735u-960.jpg (168KB, 713x401px) Image search: [Google]
b55735u-960.jpg
168KB, 713x401px
>>14771980
find a 4wd mitsu lancer
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.