[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a car - had a soarer that was deemed an economic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: JZZ3020118.jpg (76KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
JZZ3020118.jpg
76KB, 800x533px
Looking for a car - had a soarer that was deemed an economic write off.

Budget of around $13,000 AUS.

Wouldnt mind another jap import, looking at s15's but need the autech version as I still have a year left on my green P's.

Wouldnt mind an e46 3 coupe but not sure if I want to deal with the higher maintenance costs and economy of a 6 cyl, my soarer ate through a shit ton of fuel. 1 series perhaps...dont know.

Any ideas for a ausfag like myself?
no fucking holdens or fords pls.
>>
File: 1454274953798.jpg (87KB, 915x1084px) Image search: [Google]
1454274953798.jpg
87KB, 915x1084px
>>14755480
Go with an s15
>>
Buy a literal piece of shit and drive it until you're off your Ps and you can buy what you want.

If you've written off one car on your Ps I doubt your next car is gonna last much longer.
>>
>>14755539
it was an economical write off. agreed value of the car was 5.5k, so insurance write off anything that costs 70% of the agreed value to repair. it was just a fender bender that wrecked the bonnet and front bumper.
>>
>>14755570
Aussie bitches named Eileen can't drive
>>
>>14755480
Toyota Mark II/Chaser ??
>>
>>14755480
Get another soarer, ain't nothing better than those

or go for a e46 m3, but you won't like the s15 as much
>>
>>14755539
I second this

>>14758341
have fun finding an e46 m3 for $13k
maybe an e36 if you're lucky
>>
>>14758378
Could always go with a non m3 e46 like the 330i and upgrade it, obviously won't be the same but it can get decently close without costing as much.
>>
>>14758341
The soarer was a great car, no doubt. But it was eating easily above 15l/100km, probably clsoe to 20l even, and that was a na 2jz. they are very rare to find on the market anyway, let alone a mint one. Cant drive the V8 or the 1jz either.

Cant drive an m3 and a lot of money to spend on an older car, especially for maintenance. s15 are expensive as well and impossible to find the autech versions below 13k.

>>14758650
6cyl is putting me off after how much fuel my soarer ate. Could save 1.5-2g a year just by having a 4cyl.

What would you guys think of spending 20k an getting a used 86. I assume the resale value will hold a lot better. Easy on fuel and maintenance considering I could find one around the 50,0000 km mark or so.

I never imagined myself spending 20k, however, could I be financially better off with something such as an 86?
>>
>>14758765
Can you even find a used GT86 for 20k? They are great cars, not that fast, but looks nice and handle real well, fuel economy is not too bad either. Maintenance is your average Toyota/Subaru and with a really low mileage vehicle it shouldn't be an issue.

Talking about the soarer, I have the SC400 with VVTi and I get around 23MPG which is around 9.7km per liter, that's with in city driving and main city rush hours. Maybe you're driving it too harsh? Just a thought. Also, the V8 actually get's better fuel economy than the 2jz on average.

Going from 13k to 20k is a decent jump, I'm assuming you're looking for a RWD coupe which is easy to maintain. I'm not sure on the market in Aussieland, but how's the Toyota Chaser?
>>
>>14758861
I probably do drive it harsh, but it seemed to be abnormally eating more than it should. With a 20 year old car though, you just don't know what you will get in terms of economy i suppose.

There are plenty on the market for around 22k (from 35 - 55k km), Could probably negotiate someone down to 20k or so.

It is a big jump, but I feel like I could be financially better off anyway with a 3-4 year old car in terms of maintenance and resale value with something closer to 20 years old with 130-150,000km on the clock. I assume the 86 would hold its value decently.

and yes, rwd coupe is what I'm after really. Im really after something smaller and more nimble around corners after my soarer, so not so keen on a chaser.
>>
>>14758958
Well comfort wise you're probably used to the Soarer so going to a S15 will be a huge downgrade both in terms of power and luxury.

Now the question between whether to get a new car or an old one, well you have to ask yourself if you're going to sell the car again anytime soon meaning 3-5 years, which will give an incentive for resale value. Also, how much money did you put into your soarer? Because if it was a decent amount into maintenance then might as well get a really low mileage car. Never driven the 86 but from the reviews and those who own it seem to have quite fun with it. Seems like the 86 is your best bet. However I suggest you do some research in the engine, as I have not but there seems to be a bias against Subaru engines of not lasting long term? I have no idea, but just check it out. Hope you make up your mind Anon.
>>
>>14758958
>Im really after something smaller and more nimble around corners after my soarer, so not so keen on a chaser.

don't underestimate chasers in terms of handling, they weigh 100kg less than a soarer and have 50/50 weight distribution
also if you want to drift in the future their longer wheel base makes it easier to learn in

my brother's has coilovers, wider stickier tyres, control arm and sway bar upgrades and he can almost keep up with me in my evo VI
>>
>>14755480
Get a 350z
>>
>>14759641
chasers are turbo so he cant, plus majority are auto.
Get a 350z
>>
>>14759757
>>14759763
would prefer something with 4 seats, but its prohibited on p plates anyway.
>>
Can someone explain to me what you Australians are talking about when you say green Ps and basically the first three posts of this fucking thread?
>>
>>14759780
when you get your license at 18, its called a probationary license. This last for 4 years, and you cant drive "high-powered vehicles". first year is red P's where you have more restrictions such as only being able to drive 1 passenger at a time, then for the next 3 years you are on "green" P's, where you have mostly the same priveledges as a full liscence except you cant have a drop of alcohol in you, cant use cell phone for anything (including gps), among other things and high powered vehicles. After those 4 years you have a full license and can drive whatever and have no restrictions.
>>
>>14755480
Why don't you just drive a kangaroo or something.
>>
>>14759796
Damn man, that sound ridiculous.
Thanks for the explanation.
>>
>>14755480
ya spastic, get a 200sx S15. Can have the turbo model.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.