[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do they make diesel hybrids? if not, why not wouldnt that be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: dEdId98.jpg (39KB, 600x525px) Image search: [Google]
dEdId98.jpg
39KB, 600x525px
do they make diesel hybrids?

if not, why not wouldnt that be the ultimate best option?
>>
>>14741934

Ofcourse they do, there isn't any reason why they wouldn't.

Hybrid anything is the best option these days for normie spec cars
>>
>>14741934
99% of the trains you see are powered by diesel-electric
>>
>>14741934
PSA and Merc do in Europe
The problem is hybrid and diesel both add cost and many tax regimes favor gas hybrids.
>>
>>14741934
audi lmp1
>>
I used to install the systems in metro buses. Brought them from like 2mpg to 5 mpg
>>
File: 1280px-EMD_SD40_KCSdeM_3029.jpg (211KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-EMD_SD40_KCSdeM_3029.jpg
211KB, 1280x960px
Yes.
>>
File: electric-hybrid-059.jpg (3MB, 3504x2336px) Image search: [Google]
electric-hybrid-059.jpg
3MB, 3504x2336px
My work truck. And they are fucking awful to drive with how god damn slow they are.
>>
>>14741934
electric motors don't do well at speed
turbines don't do well at slow speed
you may as well at lest not bother with overlap in parameters
>>
>>14742861
I see those things going 40+ through my neighborhood, spewing black smoke. Always a nigger driving.
>>
>>14742914
It probably took them 2 minutes to reach that speed
>>
>>14741975
That's not hybrid, that's diesel-electric.

Hybrid is where you can drive the wheels from the engine OR batteries.
Diesel-electric is where the big diesel engine drives a generator, which powers the wheel motors.
>>
>So I have to pay for diesel AND electric
>Have to fucking maintain not 1, but 2 fucking sources of energy

Hybrid is literally the shittiest thing ever
>>
You won't see as much gain as with a gas vehicle. Gas engines and electric motors compliment eachother with the elecric motor providing torque where the gas engine is lacking and the gas engine providing torque where the electric motor is lacking. With the torque of a diesel more often being low in the rev range, there isn't as much benefit

It's the same reason you don't see fuel economy minded turbo hybrid cars. The Mclaren p1 does it for performance, with the electric motor adding to the already high torque of the turbo v8, but there is very little fuel economy benefit.
>>
>thinking about engines
>friend's grandfather worked for International Harvester in the '60s
>mentioned once they had a Wankel rotary Diesel prototype laying around
>mfw imagining a rotary diesel hybrid

I'm...oddly okay with this.
>>
>>14743278

The US Military uses a diesel/multifuel rotary for the Auxiliary Power Unit in the M1 Abrams tank. They use it to run everything but the main drive because the main turbine in the tank takes 15 gallons of fuel to start.
>>
>>14742990
For a plug in hybrid you get a full battery worth of range and a full talk of range. Also electric motors have limited maintenance so it's not that awful. No one's forcing you to buy the most economical vehicle design on the market.
>>
>>14741934
>dpfs that fail
>egr that fails
>hpfps that fail
>batteries that fail
It's a reliability nightmare.
>>
I'm waiting for a company to come out with a diesel electric car. No direct link to the wheels from the motor, just a small diesel driving a generator.

No batteries, just a fuel tank. Okay a few batteries, but only like 30 miles worth, batteries are fucking heavy. Put a stop/start on the diesel and you'll get insane milage
>>
>>14742961
But thats what some hybrids do.....

Yes some hybrids have an electrical assist which is located in the transmission, as you described

However some do in fact have a gas motor simply for electrical generation and in turn use the electricity to propel the car.

Hell some cars marked as hybrids just have huge alternators and starters that will start moving the car before starting the engine from a standstill, and then the engine takes over.
>>
>>14744004
Ahh American engineering
>>
>>14742961
There are parallel hybrids, and series hybrid.

most heavy machinery is serial hybrid, while most cars are parallel hybrid.
>>
Isuzu have been building hybrid diesel light trucks since 2005, link related
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/05/izusu_introduce.html
>>
>>14741975
I've always wondered how that works. Is burning diesel to make electricity to move the train more efficient than just using diesel? How?

Is it because electric motors have more torque, so you can get the train moving or faster by powering an electric motor instead of a diesel engine? Or is it because powering eight drive wheels using a diesel engine and driveshaft is more mechanically complicated/inefficient than the loss from converting diesel output to electricity?
>>
>>14748379
Second one is the awenser. Also you would need a big fat transmission too
>>
>>14748379
constant RPM is a big one. Instead of designing the engine to be OK at all of it's safe RPM range they just need to pick a couple of specific RPMs to run at peak efficiency.
>>
>>14741934
Diesel engines are happiest when they're continually running, starting and stopping them is pretty wear intensive on the engine itself. Things like mine trucks, trains and the like which use diesel-electric generally get started and run for hours on end before every shutting down.
For a car to do that, its sort of a much-a-much if it'd make much difference to economy going into idle, or shutting down completely like the petrol-electric cars do.

>>14748379
>>14748503
They still step the electric motors down with a simple pinion to main gear around the axles on the trains, powerful as electrics are, they're still pulling 1000's of tonnes so they do need a little bit of help.
>>
>>14744758
idiot
>>
>>14748379
Efficiency. Diesel engine is designed for running at a certain set of speeds, and does that all day. Literally.
Electric motors spin at arbitrary speeds. That makes them the best for railways, with small wheels and low friction.
And also, you can then run the motors backwards for braking. You either use a capacitor/battery bank to store the power, or just dump it into a big resistor on the roof that radiates it away as heat.
The generator is also lighter than a transmission, and you'd need one ANYWAY to run all the electrical gear on board for sensors and brakes and stuff.
Plus, you can then just mount the engine where it's got to be for weight distribution, and the motors wherever they need to be to power the wheels.
This gives you the freedom to, say, eliminate the dedicated locomotive from a passenger train, stick engines under the floor of each car, and run cables around to the wheels.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.