[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is wrong with getting a kit like this?http://www.ebay.c

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: 1428110101966.jpg (34KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1428110101966.jpg
34KB, 500x333px
What is wrong with getting a kit like this?http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-UNIVERSAL-T3-T4-TURBO-KIT-TURBOCHARGER-INTERCOOLER-WASTEGATE-BOV-BOOST-GAUGE-/380661303727?fits=Make%3AMazda|Model%3ARX-8

The real problem with buying a turbo kit is making sure the turbo manifold, intake manifold, and downpipe are strong, right? If I make my own pipes and manifold, and just use this kit for the turbo and intercooler piping, what am I going to risk?

I doesn't seem like I'd be getting any parts that were really running the risk of a failure other than the ebay turbo, which I've been reading aren't as bad as people say they are.
>>
>>14739884
Don't make your own pipes and manifold.

You wont be able to stress-test them to the degree that a manufacturer can and you will blow them up.
>>
>>14739895
Well no manufacturer makes turbo manifolds for the renesis for under $5000
>>
>>14739884
Ebay turbo a shit.

Buy the kit, sell the turbo and then buy a real one.
>>
>>14739904
Would a used T25 with a rebuild kit be a good idea?
>>
>>14739895
>You wont be able to stress-test them to the degree that a manufacturer can and you will blow them up.

my 150psi air pump says otherwise. how dumb are you?
>>
>>14739884

You could absolutely, and probably without any repercussions if you're any good at fabrication but if it does blow you're in big trouble. My advice would be to steer clear and buy branded stuff.
>>
File: rwbturbo.jpg (171KB, 570x387px) Image search: [Google]
rwbturbo.jpg
171KB, 570x387px
>make your own
This is what happens in the extremely rare case an /o/tist gets beyond the pipe dream phase
>>
>>14739929
>>14739925
Lol I'd be doing it with my dad and my uncles.
Dad's an engineer, uncle's a licensed welder, and my other uncle's a subaru mechanic. They'd make sure I didn't completely fuck it up.
>>
File: images (12).jpg (22KB, 439x304px) Image search: [Google]
images (12).jpg
22KB, 439x304px
>>14739929
Nah looks good to me
>>
>>14739908
Check the tolerances. If shaft play is in line with manufacturer spec then you're good to go
>>
File: rwbturbo.jpg (116KB, 1224x690px) Image search: [Google]
rwbturbo.jpg
116KB, 1224x690px
>>14739943
>Dad's an engineer
chances are he doesn't know anything about welding (nothing wrong with that, just not relevant to most engineers)
>uncle's a licensed welder
Does he stick weld giant bridge trusses and is 90% blind, or does he do finish work? Does he have a shop with a tube notcher, deburrer, etc. so you can fab everything up from donuts
> a subaru mechanic
Almost no mechanics know how to weld, I've seen some truly nightmarish welds done on occasions where there have been recall campaigns that require welding
>>
>>14739999
Checked.

I get what you're saying. Thanks, but how the fuck am I supposed to find manifolds when nobody makes them.
>>
>>14739929
Well I mean of course it looks like fucking garbage but honestly it will probably be just fine. Not as good as a real mandril bent piping with tig welding of course, but it will probably hold up. Probably.
>>
>>14739999
why do you need a machine to deburr something? or is that something on the welds it deburrs?
>>
>>14739999
that's fucking quality right there.

Ebay kits are fine as long as you are prepared to

1.) fab a bunch of shit yourself
2.) replace the cheap shit as it breaks with not cheap shit.

They are a good way to get your car turbocharged for cheap, as they are a mostly complete kit. Once your car is turbo, then you just have to worry about replacing stuff as it goes.

Oh, turbo went? good thing I already have a drain tube and oil feed installed. swap that bitch out for a junkyard disco potato and off you go.
>>
>>14739999
Is that weld actually good? It looks pretty nice to me, but I don't know shit about welding.
>>
>>14740208
>junkyard disco potato

i laughed more than was strictly necessary
>>
>>14740193
You could do it all by hand but when you are cutting donuts up and you have to notch and deburr 30 tube ends it's a lot easier to have a table mount or at least one on a drill. Making a header is pretty tough, doing it without the tools would just be a nightmare, idk how you would even fit one up without a good selection of clamps. Definitely not a project to just jump into out of nowhere.
>>
>>14739903
>buy expensive car with little to no tuning background
>is surprised when it costs a fucking lot to tune it
this is why people don't buy G35s for tuning mate, do your research next time.
>>
>ebay tarbos
>ebay anything

enjoy your chinese piece of shit thats going to blow up on you.
>>
>>14740258
>ebay anything

now listen here you little cunt i need ways to get cheap jdm shit that's been stolen for my integra.
>>
>>14740247
>rotary engine
>no tuning background
wut
>>
>>14740272
>tfw didn't fully read the OP

I saw "renesis" and thought you had misspelled "Genesis".
my bad.
>>
>>14740272
>renesis
Nobody likes it so nobody really makes parts
>>
>>14740227
Because he said disco potato? or because you will never find a gt28rs in a junkyard?
>>
>>14739884
pretty small front mount, on top of that the turbo it's self looks dinky. it may cost 4 times as much to do it custom but its worth it. that way you know exactly what turbo you buy, how big your intercooler is, who plumbed the system, and that it is not likely to fail anytime soon. $500 for a turbo is a fine price, $500 for an entire kit is extremely suspect and should indicate that corners were likely cut for the price to be so low!
>>
>>14739999
Lost it at "licensed welder"
>>
>>14740349
I lost my license for speeding on a stitch weld, exceeded the duty cycle of my machine
>>
>>14740349
not license, certified
https://app.aws.org/certification/CW/
>>
>>14740266
grab a welder and get turbos off pajeros at local scrapyard. upgrade later
>>
Do they just throw "JDM" in the title for good measure? I'm not sure I'd trust someone like that with my money.
>>
many ebay turbos have been welded together so under heavy load they tend to blow up. look up how real turbines are made. this being said, i think you can find a fine kit on there so do some research on what company made the parts.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.