[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The United States Of Safety Warnings When was the first year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: mirror-appear-1.gif (45KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
mirror-appear-1.gif
45KB, 360x240px
>The United States Of Safety Warnings
When was the first year cars had to display this phrase anyway?
>>
You could seriously honestly probably just Google this but now you have me wondering about the origins of this certain "safety feature"
>>
>>14729620
Not all cars have them. My mirrors on my 2001 shitbox don't have them and they don't seem to make things look further away. Never reall thought about it desu.
>>
>>14729631
>>14729594

I'm gonna try and find an answer. I'll come back with it ready haha
>>
...I honestly can't find any good infortmariom and now I wanna find an Answer even more
>>
>>14729620
>>14729631
It's required on convex passenger side mirrors (since driver side mirrors are legally bound to be flat) but I don't know since when. Perhaps cars with flat passenger side mirrors were produced as late as 2001.
>>
>>14729656
For the most part it's probably there to legally cover the asses of car manufactures
>>
>>14729631
>don't seem to make things look further away
1. Mirrors give you the distance to the object plus the distance to the mirror. It's not magic.
2. Wing mirrors became convex as a safety feature a few years back. That makes things look further away, but enhances your field of view.

My old car has 'vehicles in mirror are losing' instead.
>>
>>14729662
"Vehicles in mirror are losing" HA! I need to go look for a sticker now
>>
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.111

This is the law that says mirrors need to have that phrase on them, I don't know where to see what year it was introduced (and I'm too lazy to read all that stuff to see if it's mentioned at some point).

There is a broken link on one of the Wikipedia citations about this that says 2004, so that might be it.
>>
File: objects1.jpg (17KB, 340x339px) Image search: [Google]
objects1.jpg
17KB, 340x339px
Doesn't bug me as much as sun visor stickers.
>>
Mom had a mid-70s Oldsmobile that had them. It's been a while.
>>
File: 1457462090125.jpg (50KB, 498x412px) Image search: [Google]
1457462090125.jpg
50KB, 498x412px
>>14729594

Yeah, it's necessary in the United States Of Lawsuits.

>waah, I lost my hand because there wasn't a warning sign on the rim that I can get hurt when I stick my hand into the wheel while the car is running waaah I SOO YOO
>>
http://www.federalregister.com/Browse/AuxData/4147F2A0-CF11-4165-A064-6A76F5AB27F8

>Provisions regarding the use
of a convex side view mirror were added by
the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration (NHTSA or the Agency) in an
1982 rulemaking. 47 FR 38698 (1982). The
final rule specifically allowed the use of
convex passenger side outside mirrors.

If this information is correct, convex passenger mirrors were entirely illegal before 1982 just like convex driver mirrors still are, therefore the earliest possible mandatory application of the phrase would've been that year, though technically it's unclear whether the phrase was legislated the same year or later, and whether, as one Anon here is saying, some manufacturers may have used it voluntarily previously.
>>
>>14729842
>driver side convex mirror is illegal

I'm jelly for you burgers, I fucking hate convex mirrors.
Especially at night, that small side of the mirror that I'd actually complex simply becomes a mess of lights with little to no reference as the distance from them.

I get it, it's meant to show that someone is close or in your blind spot so you can react accordingly, but I would have preferred a 100% flat and actually useful mirror over a partially useful and partially useless mirror.
>>
>>14729873
*is actually convex

Damn phone
>>
>>14729656
Then explain what the fuck is up with the jeep grand cherokees current mirrors.
The drivers side is so far from being not flat it's actually unusable, it requires so long to adjust to such a different field of view. It's literally quicker for me to look at the center mirror and head check.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.