[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's /o/s opinion on engine braking? Daily /routine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: asgfasf.jpg (984KB, 810x1215px) Image search: [Google]
asgfasf.jpg
984KB, 810x1215px
what's /o/s opinion on engine braking? Daily /routine driving specifically
>>
I have brake pedal for a reason. My car is not my dirt bike.
>>
File: 1456477106514.jpg (246KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1456477106514.jpg
246KB, 1024x768px
Bump.
>>
>>14720660
I have a Mitsubishi with the sportronic auto transmission and it's great, I can redline and downshift whenever I want the ecu doesn't care.

So I use engine braking a lot with it, or if I'm going down an icy hill I can drop it to first and let the engine rev out and crawl down the hill safe.

Oh another thing I'll do is if the roads are really snowy I'll drop to 2nd or 1st and keep the rpms in the 4-5000 range for max torque depending on how fast I want to go.
>>
I should probably break myself of the habit since any time I'm in a manual car, I find myself downshifting all the time just for kicks.

Obviously I rev match and all that jazz. Still, brakes are cheaper than replacing things like clutches and are much more effective at slowing a vehicle down.

It has its uses, but even then you must be pretty good/perfect to make use of its effects well. Ex- low traction scenarios where engine braking is better than hitting the brakes. But failing to rev match almost perfectly (most people cannot) will just make things worse anyway.
>>
>>14721080
If you're wearing your clutch you're doing it wrong.
>>14720660
I'll do it if it's a stop sign and I won't piss anyone behind me off for starting to slow down so early. You have to remember most people aren't used to seeing a car slow down without its brake lights on.
>>
File: jake_brake.gif (37KB, 600x380px) Image search: [Google]
jake_brake.gif
37KB, 600x380px
>not using a jacobs brake
It's like you actually enjoy changing brake shoes.
>>
>>14721080
>most people aren't used to seeing a car slow down without its brake lights on
This so much.

>driving home from the gym
>getting off of freeway
>exit has a fairly steep decline that snakes pretty hard
>always engine brake here
>take exit while signicantly over exit speed limit
>angry cunt tailgating me regardless
>start engine braking
>bitch has no depth perception
>check mirrors
>less than a foot away
>shift up and floor it
>have to stop at stop sign at the bottom of hill in like 100ft
>ruining my clutch for this bitch

Lesson is, if there are cars behind you, don't engine brake. Most drivers are pretty bad and/or don't pay attention. Just use your brakes, it's literally what they're designed for
>>
>>14720660
You should do it. Braking is more abrupt and the break lights scares people, making them slam the breaks.
>>
>>14720660
It's 100% better than using the brakes to shed a little speed. I hate people who ride the brakes or hit them every 5 seconds to stay just under the speed limit.

Buuuut I suppose most of /o/ only drives autotragic cars that go CLUNK and change up whenever you ease off the gas, and then CLUNK and downshift when you put it back down.
>>
>>14720660
only useful on ancient cars with shitty brakes
>>
File: rig.jpg (57KB, 960x591px) Image search: [Google]
rig.jpg
57KB, 960x591px
I was doing a hell of alot of engine braking when i crossed the smokys with this beast. my hyrdoboost was being weird and not giving me very much boost. I could smell my brakes burning it was quite scary.
>>
>>14721730
>most people aren't used to seeing a car slow down without its brake lights on
>what is the USA
Rarely have people riding my ass in Switzerland. I guess they're too neutral.

>>14720660
Whenever possible, saves gas compared to idling and coasting with brakes applied. No need to keep engine alive by injecting fuel and turn kinetic energy into heat in the brake pads.
Normally getting 8 l/100km (29mpg US, mixed) instead of the factory specified 10 l/100km, all with my '92 Yota. And I don't drive slow, just efficient - two entirely different things.
>>
I do it every day, but sparingly. I blip the throttle and never drop more than 2 gears or exceed 4500 rpms and only when the car is at normal operating temperature.
>>
>>14720660
fyies engine while saving fuel and brakes ... choose what's cheaper to fix
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.