[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that you can't really fix modern (~2008-Present?)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 1999-toyota-corolla_0189de79.jpg (12KB, 300x202px) Image search: [Google]
1999-toyota-corolla_0189de79.jpg
12KB, 300x202px
Is it true that you can't really fix modern (~2008-Present?) vehicles as a home mechanic?

I hear it all the time:
>"It's all computers!"
>"You have to be a damn electrician to do anything!"
>"Only a dealer can access half of this stuff!"
>"Cars are more appliance than machine now!"

Are these claims true?
>>
Not every new car is a Tesla, opie. It depends on the trim/options you get.
>>
you can fix cars with computers now
>>
File: IMG_20151202_011210.jpg (2MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151202_011210.jpg
2MB, 4320x2432px
>>14712134
>Are these claims true?
No. Old fucks, especially older mechanics (think ol' Scotty Kilmer) are just bitter fucks that the tools of trade have changed someone as cars have gotten newer. If you have the proper tools, you can DIY pretty much anything you are willing to figure out on a modern car

If anything, the increased use of sensors and computers makes it's easier to pinpoint problems on a newer car. Again, it's all about having the right tools.
>>
>>14712204
From a tech
>this

Also a little know-how and access to schematics help
>>
>>14712215
Exactly. And you can torrent pretty much any Haynes/Chiltons/factory service manual you want now (or find them posted in owners forums if you do even the smallest amount of lurking)
>>
>>14712204

What about shit like having to have the dealers reprogram parts and shit like that? The ones were you can't even change out a seat switch without having to have it reprogrammed to your VIN so it'll work properly.
>>
>>14712323
There's basically nothing that needs to get programmed other than keys and wireless sensors (like TPMS), and every owners manual will include instructions on how to do that. "Reprogram" is dealer service codeword for "we did something complicated and don't want to bother explaining it to you".

Go look up your factory service manual for your car and wow, there's 100% step by step instructions for everything dealer mechanics do.
>>
File: IMG_20151202_141240073_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151202_141240073_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>14712323
See
>>14712341

Plus, aftermarket scan tools like the Autel Maxidas in my picture can do any reprogramming you would ever need to do, including cloning smart keys, or resetting a PCM/TCM that had to be replaced, or correcting a TPMS system
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.