[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you not roll back in a manual car if you're stopped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

File: 100028408.jpg (22KB, 250x278px) Image search: [Google]
100028408.jpg
22KB, 250x278px
How do you not roll back in a manual car if you're stopped at a light on a steep hill? What gear are you in & what's your foot placement?
>>
You can use the E-brake to hold you in place while you get the car moving.Other then that you just have to get good at it
>>
Heel-toe in first. When you start to let the clutch up, put the heel of your other foot on the brakes while you use your toes of the same foot to wind up the engine and get in gear. Once you're in gear resume normal operation.
>>
>>14707194
Clutch in, right foot on brake. Let clutch out to engagement point and gas it up at the same time. Congrats u just hill started and mght have rolled an inch or two at the most. At first you will "ride the clutch" a bit untill you know exactly where it engages. If you dont know how to "ride the clutch" look it up.
>>
>>14707194

My automatic rolls back too. Is this not supposed to happen?
>>
File: 20160208_165925.jpg (592KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
20160208_165925.jpg
592KB, 1400x1050px
>How do you not roll back in a manual car if you're stopped at a light on a steep hill?
I would suggest not letting off the brake without hitting the gas and releasing the clutch

>What gear are you in
First is always a good bet, especially in San Fran

>what's your foot placement?
triple heel toe always
>>
>>14707219
lmfao ur doing it the wrong way m8
>>
>Put car in 1st gear with clutch and brake pressed
>wait until car in front of you goes
>let off brake and at the same time raise clutch to bite point and give more throttle than normal launch
>launch

It's just getting gud. using the emergency brake is for pussy bitches and balancing the clutch and gas burns the clutch
>>
>>14707225
Torque converter usually can keep your car in place, unless the hill is really that steep.

>>14707194
Rolling back a little is inevitable, just don't panic. My foot placement is exactly like starting from 1st at any stop, I just let go of the clutch quicker and give it more throttle than normal.

Worst comes to worst, just handbrake start.
>>
>>14707235
I've never actually done it
>mfw I don't even drive a manual
>>
>>14707249
>Rolling back a little is inevitable
Well what the fuck am I supposed to do when somebody is right on my ass? It's definitely going to happen
>>
dont listen to the macho shit. the handbrake is there for a reason, use it if you need to.
>>
>being too poor to afford a car with hill assist

I used to do the ebrake thing but my new mustang saves me the trouble.
>>
The handbrake is the easy way, but it's also the slowest.

Slowly letting the clutch out and balancing clutch and gas is still relatively easy, and a bit faster than using the handbrake.

Heel-toe is probably the fastest way, but takes some practice. You'll have that heel-toe street cred though.
>>
>>14707274
Yep I'm broke as shit and getting a 2001 manual civic.
>>
>>14707257
Then you're fucked I guess. Unless you can convince the cop that they were tailgating you and they ran into the back of you instead of you rolling into them. But I've never encountered someone getting <1ft away from my bumper on a hill that's steep. Maybe you they are giving you more room than you think they are?
>>
half throttle launch.
>>
>>14707194
clutch out until the engine is about to stall, bring foot over from brake to throttle and go along with your day
>>
>>14707257
They're behind, they'll get fucked not you.
If they are really up your ass and you don't want to deal with it, handbrake.
>>
>>14707257
I panicked quite a bit when I first started learning, but don't worry Anon. People are a lot farther away than they look, and you really don't drift back that drastically/quickly.
>>
>>14707302
This is wrong.

If you roll back into someone then YOU are at fault for not having full control of your vehicle.
>>
File: 7u4H4hj.jpg (94KB, 636x848px) Image search: [Google]
7u4H4hj.jpg
94KB, 636x848px
>>14707308
exactly this. there's a reason your mirrors say "objects in mirror are closer than they appear"

most people are a good 2-3 feet away from your bumper and if you roll back that much from a hill start, you prolly shouldn't be driving manual to begin with
>>
>>14707257
just fucking launch the car then. rev that bitch up and dump the clutch if that's what you prefer.
>>
>>14707314
If someone's right up your ass there's not much you can do on a steep hill. Any reasonable person could understand that much.
>>
File: 1450121076879.jpg (189KB, 1059x769px) Image search: [Google]
1450121076879.jpg
189KB, 1059x769px
>>14707294

This. Just make sure you hold the clutch in your biting point then quickly move right foot from brake to throttle.
>>
>>14707314

It's expected for the person ahead to roll back at least a little. If they are on your ass it's their fault for not keeping a safe distance.
>>
>>14707341
In the eyes of the law it's your fault
>>
>>14707341
>>14707326
There's no law stating a driver has to be stopped any minimum distance from the car ahead of it. There is a law that says you have to be in full control of your car if it's moving backwards.

But in reality if a collision like a roll back on a hill did cause some damage, most of the time there is no clear person at fault. It's determined by the specific scenario.
>>
>>14707369
are you sure there's no law about that? the DMV sure does make it part of the test that you have to be able to see the other guy's tires when you're stopped.
>>
>>14707240
>the emergency brake
You mean the hand brake?

That's not for emergencies unless you're in a shifty action film....

The only brake you use whilst in motion is the pedal, the handbrake is to stop your car rolling if it gets hit/sitting on a hill parked
>>
>>14707380
They make it a big deal because it's very important to leave adequate space between your bumper and theirs. But no law I can find says that you have to be a specific distance from another car while stopped. There are laws like tailgating that are similar, but none that would assign fault to the car that gets rolled into.
A lot of people don't really give a fuck about how much room they give you in any place on the road, so you should practice a lot of hill starts.
>>
>>14707431
k
>>
>>14707431
Different name, but it's the same thing
>>
one single bump
>>
>>14707194
>what gear are you in
U SRS senpai
>>
>>14707546
doesnt the car stall out in 1st if you dont give it gas?
>>
>>14707568
1st gear
car stopped
clutch is in
handbrake is on

when its time to take off you release the handbrake and pop dat fookin clutch yo
>>
>>14707459
No, no it isn't. Emergency brake implies that you use it in an emergency.
>>
>>14707607
you do not pull up the handbrake in an emergency. That's very dangerous
>>
>>14707607
And you absolutely could use it in an emergency. It goes by a variety of names. An emergency doesn't always mean you're about to hit a truck head on at 60mph, or start to lose control in a rain storm.
>>
>>14707623
Name one emergency where you would pull the handbrake where it would be either useful or it shouldn't already be used
>>
>>14707635
You lose brake pressure in your regular brakes. Slowly pulling up on the handbrake + engine braking can help you slow down without hitting anything.
>>
>>14707648
the majority of your braking force will come from the front. I guarentee you pulling up the hand brake will do nothing but lock the rear wheels
>>
>>14707668
>slowly raising the emergency brake will lock the wheels

No, if you use it like a normal brake and don't fucking yank it then you can slow down just fine.
>>
>>14707668
You have no braking force in the front because you have no brake pressure moron. Unless you rip the handbrake like ken block trying to pull a skid, you won't lock up the rear tires.
Practical demonstration. Have you ever started moving with the handbrake still on? If so, you understand that the handbrake's actual stopping power is very low, it's a very tiny drum in your rear brakes that will stop your car from rolling back. It's actually more likely that your brake cable will snap if you pull the handbrake hard at highway speeds.
>>
>>14707257
fucking full throttle on those bastards
>>
>>14707686
your 12, shut up
>>
>>14707737
I'll give you 4/10 because almost quads
>>
>>14707737
>attempting to bait because you were proven wrong

/o/ at it's finest
>>
>>14707749
>>14707743
yeah keep working at mcdonalds bros. Saving up for that 180sx?
>>
>>14707194
I just started driving a manual, and there's a short but steep hill that I have to stop on almost every day driving to work, and there's usually someone behind me. I pretty much just do this >>14707240 every time. Makes me feel like a scrub but it works I guess
>>
File: miata.jpg (199KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
miata.jpg
199KB, 1920x1080px
>>14707758
Nah, I'm enjoying my mint miata with my boyfriend. Who knew being a hairdresser paid well?
>>
>>14707194
You get gud and learn the bite point to where you know where its at and how much throttle you need to give it.
>>
>>14707686
That's what I used to think too. To test it, I pulled the handbrake up at 80km/h and crashed the car because the rear wheels locked up.
>>
>>14707850
Did you rip on it, or pull up slowly? I've done it at around 60kph once when one of my brake lines decided to stop holding fluid, I gently pulled it up, while engine breaking at had no problem pulling over.
>>
File: LOLvo.jpg (56KB, 490x328px) Image search: [Google]
LOLvo.jpg
56KB, 490x328px
>>14707194
there aint no shame in a handbrake hill-start son.
>>
>>14707194
>be a driver
>have manual trans
>love to drive
>be autist
>have to take shortest route errytime
>brain explodes when the obvious answer is obvious
take a different roue anon
>>
>>14707366

not in my country
>>
>2016
>not having hill assist
>not knowing how to hill start in the first place

Seriously, how the fuck do people like you get driver's licence?
>>
>>14710534
america lmao
>>
I use the hand brake and just put it in neutral.
I'm too lazy to keep the brake and clutch pushed in like an autist.
>>
ITT merryfats learn to drive
>>
>>14707194
>neutral
>foot on brake
>put clutch in
>shift 2/3 of right foot to gas, still on brake wirh 1/3 though
>release brake and start releasing clutch at same time, also start giving it gas
>>
>>14710579
It wasn't clever the first time you posted and it still isn't. Also rule 2
>>
>>14707194
> 'Right' way
In 1st, clutch down with left foot, car sat on handbrake, right foot on accelerator.
To start off, clutch up to biting point, add a little gas when you take the handbrake off.

> 'I'm a lazy fucker who blinds people behind with my brake lights and risks rolling backwards into them' way
Left foot on clutch, in 1st, right foot on brake holding the car in place.
To start off, simply take your foot off the brake and step on the gas as you pull the clutch up.

> 'I know nothing about clutch wear' method:
Balance car on clutch, maybe some gas depending on engine torque. To start off, simply start off normally.
>>
>>14707194
Use the hand brake, neutral, feet on the floor. How were you able to pass your test without this?
>>
File: 1449803814845.jpg (26KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
1449803814845.jpg
26KB, 600x375px
>actually having to use the hand brake to not roll back
>>
>>14707240
>teleloader is about 6 years old

>that is 6 years of abuse

>constantly in for repair

>anyway, some of my colleauges use the reverse gear as break, that is possible because this kind of equipment has clutchless reverse gear

>of course its not meant as a break, so this kills the clutch

>boss even encouraged me to do this when the breaklines broke once, so i could keep working

>work_place_safety_101.png

>clutch has never been changed, and now it will drop torque for a second at random, fail to shift gear when its under load, and generally just not performing the way it used to

still. for 120 BHP, 15km/h with 10 tonnes of load on the hook, is still pretty impressive.

poor poor thing.
>>
>>14707274
>his car has hill assist
>his car has power steering
>his car has an onboard computer
Filthy casual.
>>
>>14710534
America doesnt teach you how to drive manual, anon.
>>
>>14707194
Foot on gas, 1st gear, handbrake engaged
Find biting point
Release handbrake
Drive off as usual, except when the road continues to go uphill, then you give it more gas than usual before you switch to 2nd gear obviously.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.