[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Oil change every 8k km or 6months I'm currently running

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: oil.jpg (3KB, 112x90px) Image search: [Google]
oil.jpg
3KB, 112x90px
>Oil change every 8k km or 6months
I'm currently running on my current oil and filter since October. I plan on changing in 1-2 months myself once it gets warm.

How important exactly is it to change it every 6 months? I'm at 4k km since October.
>>
The time thing is mostly BS designed to sell you more oil changes, if you're driving the car a lot (not just short trips). Just go by distance.
>>
>>14700205
I did 32k 14 months. Since then, I've only done 4k because my new job is 5km away. I drive mostly short distances nowadays. How differently does short distances affect the oil change timing?
>>
>>14700219
In short distance driving, basically not enough time for the engine to warm up, the engine is considerably more stressed. I'm not 100% on the exact science myself.
>>
>>14700219
Short trips create more wear. Change it according to the severe schedule. Or every 5k miles.
>>
File: 1455255659214.gif (3MB, 636x288px) Image search: [Google]
1455255659214.gif
3MB, 636x288px
>>14700205

No, that's incorrect. As soon as the oil is in the crankcase the effective life clock is ticking. Inside the crankcase is a concoction of coke, carbon black, acids and moisture that decrease the effectiveness of the oil's ability to lubricate moving parts and prohibit corrosion. Leaving oil in the sump for a long period of time is a no-no.

> but mah oil conspiracy

Just change your fucking lube oil man, damn.

>>14700485

Clearances remain high as the engine is not warm enough to expand and close the tolerances. This allows mechanical damage to occur. Since the sump oil does not get to operating temperature for the required time moisture is able to build in the crankcase which contaminates the oil and contributes to the formation of acids and sludge deposits in the lube oil. Lastly the engine suffers from higher blowby and bore wash down of fuel at low temperature low speed operation. These effects combine to reduce the lube oil's ability to lubricate and prohibit corrosion.

Change that shit regularly. You can not harm an engine by over-servicing the lubricating system but you can very easily degrade the engine by failing to service the lubricating system.
>>
Is your oil gold colored? It's fine.
Is your oil black? Change it.

/thread.
>>
>>14700657

No, this too is incorrect.

The oil colour does not indicate failure or shear of the lube oil. Most indirect injection diesel engines will foul the oil within the first turnover, where the contents of the sump have been pumped through the galleries once. Many petrol engines too will foul the oil within tens of hours of runtime. However, the oil remains chemically suitable for use.

You can place a droplet of oil on a paper towel and observe how large the resulting patch is. Oil that is breaking down will spread over a large surface with a center 'bullseye' of carbon black.
>>
i change my oil with top notch shit and a new filter and before i flush i add half a can of seafoam to the engine block to break free any gross shit

i have been doing 1 oil change per year on every car i have ever owned and have never had a sludge issue
>>
>>14700679

real life mechanic here. ignore this tard.sounds like a training video from a lube shop.
>>
So whats the optimal distance per oil change?
4k miles?
>>
>>14700180
I change the oil on my vehicles every year or the recommended miles for the given vehicle, whichever comes first. Mainly the one year thing is due to the fact I do all the fluids on each vehicle during the winter.
>>
>>14700180

I change the oil in my 1995 GMC 4x4 short every 5k...I'm pushing 477k on the origional engine...no rebuild...
>>
>>14700766
If the interval is 10k I'd halve it. If the interval is 7500 I'd change it at 5k. What does your manual say under severe duty?
>>
>>14700779
Yes.

Its an 02 impala with 135k miles on it.
>>
>>14700679
>indirect injection diesel engines
This isn't 1960.
>>
>>14700786
Manual says 3k.
>>
>>14700793

indirect injection is a made up thing. direct means directly into cylinders. all other injection types are still injecting fuel directly to other places.
>>
>>14700833
Pedant
>>
File: lubeshopvideo.png (40KB, 733x614px) Image search: [Google]
lubeshopvideo.png
40KB, 733x614px
>>14700743

You are a fool.

>>14700793

Many Direct injecting diesels too will foul lube oil within tens of hours. Common rail high speed diesel with a DPF unit will foul the oil on the first regeneration very predictably. This does not mean the oil is not still chemically useful but has a high content of carbon black. This will mix with moisture and deposits to form sludge under the right conditions.

>>14700833

Direct injection is an atomizer injecting into a cavity in the piston crown to form the combustion chamber between it and the cylinder head. Indirect injecting atomizers fire into a small space called a swirl chamber or pre-combustion chamber for the initial combustion with the hot gasses flowing through a transfer port on to the swirl pattern on the piston crown. The 'direct' and 'indirect' refer to whether the combustion event happens within the bore or externally.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.