[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /o/, forgive me, I'm a computer guy not a car guy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: gas-pump.jpg (142KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
gas-pump.jpg
142KB, 900x675px
Alright /o/, forgive me, I'm a computer guy not a car guy and I don't know very much about cars. But I need help settling a debate.
A buddy of mine recommended running 93 octane in my brand new car (2015 impreza sport) because he said it's cleaner gas and keeps the compression system cleaner than 85 octane.
My car does not require it, but also doesn't say anything at all about not using it. I've been using it without a problem, I've noticed it drives a little "snappier" and it's much easier to accelerate onto the highway.
The question is: am I helping or hurting my car? I don't mind spending the extra few cents a gallon since gas is so cheap right now. But I also don't want to do damage, as I've read some shit saying that can fuck up your car if it doesn't require it.
Help me out, br/o/thers.
>>
>>14693493
Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.
Use the manufacturers suggested fuel, it'll be in your manual.
If it fucking tells you to use 93, then use 93.

If you don't believe me, check out this video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmNQ66AtyWk
>>
It burns quicker and more completely, providing better throttle response, cleaner combustion, and greater fuel economy. It may also wear your engine a bit quicker, not enough to be of any notice though. A brand new Impreza sport had better be able to handle it or you've got a serious issue to take up with Subaru.

Also this >>14693496
>not being both a computer guy and a car guy
>>
>>14693501
holy shit, based kilmer

i remember watching his youtube videos on cars SO LONG AGO, when i didnt know shit.

i fucking love that guy. but in this vid you posted he sounds and looks like he's finally aging. even so, hes got that energetic and down to business style that i fucking love.
>>
>>14693493
Nice b8 m8 I r8 8/8
>>
>>14693559
This isn't bait son, I'm a genuine dumbass
>>
>>14693493
Well, none committal answer incoming, it all depends on what is used by any given company as additives to adjust the octane, some of the cleanest burning additives are very low octane (think in the 20s RON) they are also cheap. Fuel companies like to make a big thing about the cleaning properties of the high octane fuel, and it is true they add more of the "detergent" chemicals to those fuels, mainly because it's good marketing. This isn't true for all higher octane fuels and isn't directly related to the octane rating of the fuel so much as it's positioning as a "premium" product.
>>
I always put premium, the $2 extra when I fill up won't break my bank. I guess if you're penny crushing, go ahead and put pleb tier gasoline.
>>
Is it okay to mix 93 and 85 octane? Currently driving my parents' 2002 Accord and my father insists that I use premium gas. I fucking know that it's a waste but I can't fill it up with 85 under his watch. I want to "switch over", though. Would this be okay?
>>
>>14693501
STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM

You can use any octane on any car. Although I recommend 93 at least. Here we dont even have 85, just 95 and 98.

But you can run it without probs with 85 but you will miss some ps.
On some cars you dont really see a difference.
>>
>>14693593
Yes
>>
>>14693603
>You can use any octane on any car

Not quite, but it's very lenient, yes.
>>
>>14693493
The octane-value describes the clocking-resistance of the gasoline. The higher the less likely you get clocking while driving. Octane 93 is more clock-resistant but not more. If your engine is optimized for a higher combustion you will need it. if not it gives you nothing. it is only a value for the purification. But the "unpure" parts are also combustible, not garbage, wich is why you will not gain power unless you rewrite your ESC for higher compression. If you do so you will need it.
>>
>>14693603
You do know we (the rest of the world) measure octane differently to the yanks. Our equivalent to US 85.
>>
>americans actually have octane as low as 85
>>
Oh my god you are all a bunch of fucking morons. Why don't you fucking Google octane ratings and figure it out yourself. unless your engine is pushing 10.5-1 compression, you don't need premium fuel.

Fucking "computer" guy can't fucking Google shit...fuck.
>>
>>14693753
We don't, is the thing.
>>
>>14693617

This guy is correct, only he means knocking or pinging. Pre detonation.

The octane rating is a measurement of how much pressure is needed before detonation occurs.

High compression engines might experience the air fuel mix igniting before spark by pressure at high running temps, hence the need for gas that only ignites at a certain pressure.

High octane baby
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.