[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>buying a used car, budget <$2000 >show friend some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: 1451720336525.jpg (11KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
1451720336525.jpg
11KB, 340x340px
>buying a used car, budget <$2000
>show friend some listings for his input
>rejects any pre-2000 car, tells me to avoid anything over 100k miles

Is he utterly wrong?
>>
Yes.
>>
Absolutely yes. Look for something japanese, it'll last forever.
>>
>>14684471
I fucking call shenanigans
>did take hard riding and constant 7500rpm tho
>300k didn't use oil
>>
>>14684458
May I personally recommend a Ford pick up truck? Here's a 71 and 91. Both cheap reliable and easy to maintain. You can find a nice pre 79 Ford all day for $3000, you can find nice 80-96 models for $2000 all day.
>>
>>14684458
>car
>less than 2k

Your in for a fun ride famalam.
Real talk everything is shit that cheap. Your best bet is jap econobox.
>>
>>14684545
t. stealership salesman of the week
>>
>>14684489
What awful advice
>>
>>14684545
it's true. any new-ish car you find that cheap is going to be a disaster. You've been warned.
>>
I mean if your just looking for cheap people mover you can get a decent buy. 3 years ago I picked up an 03 Dodge Intrepid. It had 90k on it and I paid 1500 burger bucks. All I ended up doing for it was timing belt/water pump along with all new drive belts and pullies. Did spark plugs and PCV just for fun. Needs tires soon as well so I might take that time to flush brake fluid out and get some decent rubber for it.
>>
>>14684545
>>14685000
No, if you look around and do research that isn't true. You are going to have to look at about 5 to 10 cars before you find one that isn't shit, and that is only after research.

Look for cars that don't have hype attached. Honda and Toyota are out because 'they last forever'. Well most cars last forever if taken care of.

I'd look at Nissans, old Infiniti, Saturn's and 240/740/940 Volvo's.
>>
>>14684953
It's actually good advice...they last forever. And parts are cheap as fuck.
>>
Yes, when you're looking at such cars, you look at conservation.

Don't even bother looking at mileage.
>>
>>14684458

Yes, he's wrong. But not utterly. You could get lucky and find a gem, so don't search for only 2000 and newer, but generally older cars will have more issues due to age. Mileage is less of a concern, especially if the car was maintained.

>>14685072
>Yes, when you're looking at such cars, you look at conservation.

^This right here.

Go check out a bunch of cars and find the one that appears to be in the best overall mechanical condition.

At the 2k Pricepoint your best bet will probably be a Panther. They're extremely reliable and dirt cheap. These will also be some of, if not the newest cars you'll get in that price range.

>Hondas/Toyotas are taxed due to reputation and normies

>Volvo 240s are hipster taxed and getting up their in age

>Trucks are work taxed

Nobody want's old Towncars and MGMs. You shouldn't have trouble finding one in great shape for $2k that will last you a very long time to come.
>>
>when he says his budget is <$8000
>>
>>14684471
Toyota crumples like tin foil
>>
>>14685096
>panther
That's what I was going to say. They're sturdy, reliable, and muh comfy AF
>>
>>14684458
>Is he utterly wrong?
Yes. I've said it a million times. It's not the age or the mileage that matters. What matters is the condition. And that can only be determined by looking over the car, in person, with a fine tooth comb. Don't be afraid to get under it to look for rust and don't be afraid to look in the engine bay or under the engine for leaks. ask for maintenance records as well. I keep a folder of every receipt (excluding gas or insurance) that I've ever spent on my car
>>
>>14686340
But it is.

Age impacts every single wear part on a vehicle. The statistical chances are the newer the car the less atrophy every single component has seen.

I'd rather have a 10 year old car with 150,000 on it than a 20 year old car with 50,000 on it.
>>
>>14685144

>$8000

How fucking poor are you to pick that as a "reasonable" number?
>>
>>14686578
>Age impacts every single wear part on a vehicle.
This is why I said maintenance records are important.
>>
>>14684458
for 2k, definitely
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.