[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /o/ Tomorrow I'm going to pick up my first manual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: received_1038784736192309.jpg (317KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
received_1038784736192309.jpg
317KB, 1920x1080px
Sup /o/

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up my first manual car and I'm a little worried about the drive back. I have a little bit of experience with it but none on the actual roads. I'm pumped to be driving stick finally and I'd like to hear your stories about learning to drive stick or learning to drive in general.

Tl;dr: post your stories about learning to drive

Pic related, the car I'm going to pick up tomorrow
>>
>>14683608
>Fell for the stick meme
>>
Ill start with the first time I ever drove on the streets.

>be me
>gf driving us to hometown from college
>I start talking shit about how I could probably drive the entire way (she had been giving me lessons at the time)
>o rly?
>gf pulls into outlet and parks car
>tells me to get into driver's seat
>aw fuck
>10 and 2, white knuckles, furthest right lane all the way from Orlando to Tampa
>didn't shit pants
>get my permit later that week
>>
once you buy it, ask the buyer to drive you to a nearby parking lot

then you spend the next hour AT LEAST just practicing starting in first gear, keep doing it until you have a good grasp on it and it starts to become muscle memory

then find a slight incline somewhere and repeat the exercises for another hour, using the parking brake to hill-hold.

after getting proficient at both of those activities, everything else becomes trivial as fuck, you're basically done "learning" how to drive stick after two hours because starting from a stop is by far the hardest part
>>
File: 1458328688159.png (211KB, 433x436px) Image search: [Google]
1458328688159.png
211KB, 433x436px
>>14683621
Damn right I did. Life is suffering with a 4 speed auto
>>
>>14683647
Lol as if the seller is going to teach some faggot how to drive manual

If people don't know how to drive manual yet somehow hold a license... just commit suicide
>>
>>14683647
Thank you for the advice, I'll follow it to a T. I have an hour and a half drive back to Orlando and I'm mostly worried about stalling in stop-go.
>>
File: Snapchat-2880466584639674664.jpg (1MB, 1440x2368px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2880466584639674664.jpg
1MB, 1440x2368px
>first time sitting in drivers seat
>dad pulls parking brake without my knowledge while I'm adjusting seat and mirrors
>can feel bite point in clutch but car won't move
>confused as fuck
>more gas
>dump clutch
>biggest parking lot burnout a 1.6 96 200SX can do
>finally see him holding the parking brake
>bouncing it off the Rev limiter as he's screaming at me
>smoke everywhere now
>stop burnout and get back in passenger seat
>never ask my father to teach me anything again
>taught myself from there
>>
>>14683660
Considering the seller is one of my best friends, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if he wasn't working when I go to get the car
>>
>>14683660
oh no the seller can go home then, it's all just practicing solo
>>
>>14683665
why the fuck did he do that..?
>>
>>14683679
The thing about my father is that he was a cunt until the day he died.
>>
I stalled today really retardedly

>trying to back up on steep driveway
>let out handbrake while clutched in reverse
>didn't hold brake pedal
>oh shit I'm moving forward better drop the clutch
>stall instantly

god damn. I don't even know
>>
>>14683709
Hey, I bucked the car putting it into 2nd. At least you're past the point of making the entire car buck and shake
>>
question, what exactly does it mean if i'm getting into first but the car bucks a bit as i do so?
and i not giving it enough gas as it engages?
am i letting out the clutch too fast?
am i giving it too much gas?
>>
Learned to drive stick in a 78 volkswagen bus in stop and go highway traffic with a fucked shifter bushing, sloppy as fuck shifter, and a rusty jumpy flywheel, somehow I didn't stall it.
>>
>>14683742
Releasing the clutch too fast. That will cause the jolting.
>>
>>14685121

hmm, that sucks, i assumed i was lingering at the bit point long enough but either i'm not taking enough time (2 seconds or so) or i'm actually not at the bite point even though i think i am
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.