[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, the trans in my truck is messed up, and I cannot for the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: ok.jpg (2MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
2MB, 2304x1728px
So, the trans in my truck is messed up, and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. (4L60E)

The truck just stopped having any drive or reverse gears out of the blue one day, and I had to have it towed home. Fluid level is good, no signs of any other issues.

The truck sat for a week and a half, and I went to go see if it would move, and both drive and reverse worked, but only for a few feet.

If the truck sits over night, I can move it around the yard, but no more than that, and I am completely lost as to what the issue could be.

I had my eyes on the oil pump, there is a pressure check valve inside of it, and that's what I've been thinking the issue was.

Any thoughts? Hoping someone on here has some insight with these transmissions.
>>
>>14676207

Get the tranny flushed out...you probably have a hunk of something inside...the 4l60e's are almost bulletproof, so unless it's pissing fluid out everywhere, it should be good...
>>
when it does drive, how does it drive?

no slipping?

also how are you checking the level? it should be way over full while cold and not running, and at full only while idling in neutral
>>
>>14676263
if it's way over full when cold and off, then you start it and the level stays consistenly over full it would make me think your oil pump isn't working i.e. the fluid stays in the pan and not circulating
>>
>>14676263

It drove fine before it just stopped, no slipping or anything. It doesn't slip when it stops working either, it just seems like it's loosing fluid pressure somehow.

And fluid level was checked right when it stopped working, so it was still warm.

>>14676261

I would try this but It seems worse than just something clogging it up, and to drop the pain you've gotta take out the cross member which is a pain in the ass in my truck, it sits so low there's hardly any room to work on it.
>>
>>14676283
>still warm

but was the engine running?

you won't get an accurate reading unless the oil pump is moving the fluid. otherwise you're just reading the level in the pan which should be way above full with engine off
>>
>>14676411

Yes, the engine was still running when it was checked.

I might add it makes a rattling noise up front of the trans when in any gear, around the torque converter area, which also leaves me to believe it is something with the oil pump or torque converter out
>>
>>14676458
shit man why didn't you say so

slide the transmission back and take the torque out and shake it.

you could also take off a trans cooler line and let someone start the truck for a second and see if it's pumping good which is certainly easier than sliding the trans back
>>
>>14676495

Does it sound like my torque converter is fucked? Already ordered one, and it's sitting at work right now (autozone, lol). If that was the issue I'd shit a goose
>>
>>14676616
very well may be

sure as hell a lot better news than the trans shitting the bed although a rebuilt 4l60e is pretty cheap compared
>>
>>14676207
Just get a reman trans. It has a warranty. Don't be a parts changer.
>>
Torque converter shit the bed would be my guess.
>>
>>14676766

But I am poorfag, and I dont want to do that if it's a simple fix. The trans worked PERFECT prior to it just randomly stopping working, or I would be getting a full rebuild. Even though it might lead to me doing so regardless.
>>
>>14676766
That's like saying buy 4 new tires when you get a nail in one.
>>
>>14676207
happened to me with a th350, exact same thing, ended up having gunk inside of it even though fluid was fine. could be a bad pump, plugged filter, or even torque converter. time to talk to a local tranny shop.
>>
>>14676207
Op this is probably the issue and a very cheap fix. Change the filter. These Transmissions have fingers that get plugged and do exactly what you're saying. Change the filter and hit the road
>>
>>14676261
Thing is, the thing that kills trannys isn't usually external leakage. It is internal leakage. There are seals in there that need to hold pressure and such and if they don't work the transmission won't work, but there will be no signs of external leakage
>>
>>14677073
Yes but the issue with the transmission is putting a new torque converting in is much more work than having tires changed. Along with that if you have the issue in the transmission fixed, a bad valve or burnt clutch pack and don't find out why those issues started [ie) low oil pump pressure or something like that. It's just going to happen again.
Why replace a part if it's just going to get destroyed again
Or why replace a part if you don't actually know that's the issue
Waste of money and time
>>
it sounds like the pump. I had 2 of these shit on me. this is a common problem is what I was told at the transmission rebuilder.
>>
>>14679274
Thing is, if the filter is clogged where did the debris that clogged it come from? Most of the time it's due to a converter coming apart internally and metal debris contaminating everydamnthing. After that it's usually one of the planets coming apart and also causing huge metal contamination problems. So while changing a clogged filter may improve things it will only be for a short time.
>>
>>14679420
I found a nitrile glove partially wrapped around the filter in my Camaro.
>>
>>14676766
>Don't be a parts changer.

Kind of this.

At pick n' pull by my house, any truck transmission is $99.99 + core, and the yard is full of 4L60E pickups.

Unless something is obviously wrong with the torque converter alone, just swap the whole tranny.

>>14679420
This guy has a point. Transmission filters don't pick up enough dirt to clog during normal operation, even over hundreds of thousands of miles. They're hugely over sized for the small amount of shit that they normally have to filter out. If the filter is clogged, it's because something is rapidly disintegrating.

And this is often where all those stories about "changing your fluid kills your transmission" come from. Filter gets clogged with gear/clutch fragments, fluid & filter change happens, and a little while later the tranny finishes blowing up. Owners blame the fluid change for making the tranny fail.

>>14679435
or there's that.
>>
>>14676283
>to drop the pain you've gotta take out the cross member
If you haven't dropped the pan yet, then any diagnosis is premature.
>>
>>14676261
>Get the tranny flushed out
That's the worst thing you can do. The flushing pressure will jam stray bits of crap into the solenoids and dislodge important seals.
>>
>>14676261

hunk is probably whats probably holding stuff together, ive been doing trans work for years. bits crystalize/harden and that can be whats left holding seals and clutches together. every automatic ive had in my life i just drain the trans pan, replace the filter, and refill the trans every 2 years. no problems. even my 1992 Nissan Maxima i had years ago with the crappy RF auto tranny lasted to 430,000km while most die by 200,000km

4L60E are easy to rebuild, ive done a couple. just get new clutches/wave plates and a new pump put in it and have the gears checked. shouldnt be too expensive
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.