[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /o/, I'm usually over in /k/ so forgive me if I sound

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 5

File: Ninjer.jpg (44KB, 470x353px) Image search: [Google]
Ninjer.jpg
44KB, 470x353px
Sup /o/, I'm usually over in /k/ so forgive me if I sound like a dumbass, but how exactly do you drive a motorcycle? I'm looking into getting my first vehicle, torn between a truck and a sport bike like pic related. I'm pretty much a poorfag so a cheap bike with like 70MPG sounds way better than a truck with like 18MPG. Only problem is I've never driven a motorcycle, only bikes, ATV, cars, trucks, etc. I also would like to know how any of you bikers transport things, I do a lot of fishing and shooting so other than putting things in a backpack do I have any options?
>>
>>14660906
Get the truck. If you live anywhere near a city, the bike will get you killed. I love bikes, they are fast and efficient, but only because your SOL if you get hit.

I suggest a Toyota Hilux. I know /k/ loves them as well as terrorists. A manual Hilux with a 22R engine is near indestructible and super easy to work on.
>>
>>14660931
I live around the Jupiter/Delray area of Florida, if that helps. I've heard horror stories but is it really that bad if you're an mx rider? And if it is, what's the best poorfag truck for fuel efficiency then?
>>
>>14660940
Yeah it's that bad. I knew several people who were very cautious rider's and just used it for transportation, not racing around or anything, and they still got hit. It's inevitable. If you live in a city, your going to get in an accident at some point or another. Decide now which you want to be holding on for dear life to when it happens, a car, or a motorcycle? Which one will leave you potentially less fucked?

That aside, trucks are not very fuel efficient compared to cars because of their poor aerodynamic efficiency. The giant low pressure zone behind the cabin does't help turbulent flow at all.

Honestly, I would worry more about the cost of repairs. Like I said, a hilux is very simple and cheap to repair. It gets more than 20mpg if you don't drive it like a tard too.

There are more fuel efficient trucks out there, but not by much, and they will probably cost more in the long run when things break.

I would get a hilux now, and a sportbike later for use on a track. That would be the best of both worlds.
>>
>>14660906
>Motorcycles are better alternative modes of transport

You ever thought about riding a bicycle? A simple pothole turns into a life threatening issue
>>
If you don't haul stuff on a daily basis don't waste money on a truck. Look into an econobox since it seems like your biggest factor is fuel economy.

If you want something cheap go Craigslist.
>>
>>14660979
What do you mean by use on a track? Also is it just city driving that's bad or everywhere? The only places I currently have to drive to are way up north which would be me on I-95 for about 45 minutes, and to work around the corner. Also besides the basic gear is there any way to make yourself safer or more vibrant? Or is it just that some people can never be trusted and it'll always be dangerous
>>
>>14660979
>hilux is very simple and cheap to repair

Not even close

Same mpg as that truck unless you live in the middle of nowhere

More expensive in the used market
>>
>>14660979
And I also meant to ask, what year is the best for a Hilux? In terms of poorfagness

>>14660985
I would likely be carrying guns, fishing equipment, possibly a friends boat, and using it for hog hunting so that's my reasoning for a truck if I go 4-wheels. If not a truck then I'll go mx and use one of my surplus rucksacks to carry things, and use my buddy's truck to go hog hunting, since he wants to go anyways. I got the guns he has the truck
>>
there's literally no reason to have a truck for city driving unless your job requires you to carry stuff

get a honda fit or something. motorcycles are toys and nothing more. people ride them as a hobby. they are impractical.

do not buy a truck or motorcycle for your current situation. i understand your need for something manly and dickwavey but think practicality first. you're a city driver. get something small and good on gas.
>>
>>14661000
you know you can put fishing rods and guns in a car too right?
>>
File: 1983_Toyota_4x4_engine_resize.jpg (208KB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
1983_Toyota_4x4_engine_resize.jpg
208KB, 580x435px
>>14660994
why is it not cheap and easy?

It's a carbed 22R. I mean just look at it, take off the air box and you can reach everything. I don't even think you would have to jack it up to change anything under there either. Stupid simple.

Anyway OP, I took the time to go on the South Flordia Craigslist and this was one of the first things I found. I'm sure there's even more deals but I will leave that up to you.

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/5457159320.html

It doesn't say the mileage, and I know it's not a truck, but these are very reliable and parts are cheap. Not necessarily easy to work on if it's a V6, but either way, it should last quite a while if it was taken care of.
>>
>>14661013
I know that, but it can be a bitch with multiple people and large one piece rods. Not to mention it'd be useful for hog hunting. And I'm not sure if it matters yet but my job is gonna be in pool cleaning so that's gonna be a ton of equipment if I stick around and they have me running separate jobs
>>
>>14661019
This also might be a good choice anon, its a Ford Ranger, which is basically a Mazda B2000, which are also reliable as fugg.

This is a manual also, so typically more reliable than an automatic for the most part.

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/5472058928.html
>>
>>14661044
also remember to ask these guys for more pictures . Get a nice shot of the engine bay. Compare it to a picture of a well kept engine bay from google images or something, that way you can distinguish if something is obviously missing.

Ask him how many time he changed the oil this year and such. If he says hasn't or seems like he is lying, just walk, there will be other cars.
>>
>>14661059
also, just for giggles. This should definitely be able to hold fishing rods.

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/5465371847.html
>>
>>14661059
I've never owned a vehicle nor have I done much work with one, what important things should I look for in the pictures?
>>
File: chrysler-2.4L-2.4L.jpg (180KB, 800x1093px) Image search: [Google]
chrysler-2.4L-2.4L.jpg
180KB, 800x1093px
>>14661067

I assume you know the basic parts of an engine but just in case here is an explanation of pic related.

From top to bottom of the engine:

Valve Cover
Head
Block

Things that protrude off the head and are the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold.

Look for signs of oil leakage and dirt accumulation around the sides of the valve cover. There's probably a leak there. Not the end of the world, but it's something the guy never got around to fixing.

Honestly just dirt in general. A respectable seller SHOULD clean up the engine bay, and the people that do are also the type of people that keep their car running right and their interior clean, etc.

If anything is missing, like an AC compressor or a belts aren't attached, or there's modification parts present, ask him about it and why. If he doesn't give you a quick and solid answer walk.

Basically, i'm trying to pick cars for you that will be easy to fix by yourself anyway, even if they aren't in good condition.

I would STRONGLY suggest investing $200 in a tools. For $100 you can get a decent 120 piece mechanics ratchet and socket set from Husky. The rest can be invested in other tools like vise grips, a good hefty flathead screwdriver, and a rubber mallet, as well as other expendable items like teflon tape, copper anti-seize, marine grease, WD40, and PB Blaster penetrating oil.

That is all I have to my name right now and I can take the whole car apart with just those.

Any more questions?
>>
>>14661067
Also, I would like to know your budget. How much do you have put away for this and how much do you make a month?
>>
Forgot the sportbike if you want to carry things, I've a GSXR 600 and the only things I can take with me basically are my petite GF and 4 screwdrivers...

If you want something useful and reliable, go for a trail or a mid sport/tourer, like a Fazer.

Regarding the danger, ofc you're more vulnerable as a biker, it's ten times more important to be defensive when riding, and anticipating drivers mistakes...

Regarding the initial question, count 15 good hours of learning to get a decent level to bring it to the road alone and safe.
>>
>>14661118
I've got all the tools at my disposal, just literally never touched a car engine. I've seen the workings of a boat engine but nothing passed that. Is there anything absolutely important to know what I won't find out easily enough on my own? Also I do have a tad bit of a budget, enough to at least get something that works. The only reason I was initially interested in a motorcycle was the long term cost, since the amount I'd be driving to way up north would make gas cost a pain and a half
>>
>>14661137
If I'm lucky and I do get this pool gig to stick, it looks like just above min wage. So I'd guess somewhere in the $8 an hour range to start, probably between 30-40 hours a week? I haven't gotten all the details yet. I also have like 3-4k on hand maximum, and at least a match from family. Possibly more, I haven't gotten it figured out yet
>>
>>14661175
Sorry I was gone for awhile. Basically whatever car you buy, it's probably going to consume a bit of oil. That is the most important thing about owning a used car in terms of making it reliable. Check your oil level EVERY time you get gas, and always keep it topped up. Change your oil every 3000 miles if your running dinosaur oil, 6000 if your running full synthetic.

I drive a 97 miata that I bought for $2800 with 170k miles. It now has close to 200k miles and it still has 185psi of compression across all 4 cylinders. It burns about a quart of oil every 350 miles, which is a fuckton, but it still has the same compression it came with from the Mazda factory. It's all about maintenance anon. Buy a stupidly simple manual transmission car and you should be fine. There is just less that can go wrong and less is more when it comes to reliability.

So basically what I would do in your situation is buy a vehicle with enough space to haul my pool cleaning equipment. I would probably shoot for that ranger I showed you to be honest, assuming it wasn't complete shit when you look at it in person. I think the ad said it was owned by a mechanic shop so that might mean it was taken care of better. Maybe..

After buying it you should do a FULL fluid change, new radiator hoses, heater hoses, and spark plugs and wires. When I say full fluid change I mean the engine oil, transmission oil, differential oil, and coolant. Check the power steering fluid, brake fluid, and clutch fluid (assuming a hydraulic clutch, most are) and make sure they are not totally disgusting and black or anything. You can change them later once you have driven the car around a bit.
>>
>>14660979
In a few years, when active collision avoidance is standard equipment in cars, riding a bike daily will be a much more attractive proposition. Even better if you can put a transponder on your bike so cars will absolutely never hit them, even if the driver tried.
>>
>>14662021
I would also like to point out some of the special tools for doing maintenance on a car.

To gap spark plugs, you need a spark plug gapping tool, or some feeler gauges. Just something to accurately measure and adjust the gap between the anode and cathode of the spark plug. These things are usually like a dollar at Autozone. Feeler gauges are more like $8 but you can use them for a wide variety of tasks aside from just gapping spark plugs.

To change fluids like oil, coolant, etc, you should have an oil catcher jug. They are these black plastic containers that you put under your drain plug to catch whatever fluid your draining. Also get some funnels to aid in putting fluid back in. Note that some transmissions are not refillable with the use of a funnel. My miata for instance; you cannot fit a funnel near the fill-hole. In this case, you will need a fluid pump. They screw right onto the top of whatever container your new fluid is in and have a pump and a hose you stick in the fill hole. It looks alot like a soap dispenser on top. Those things are great.

An electric impact gun will be a great addition to your tools later down the line assuming you don't already have one.

Get a brake bleeder kit if your going to be changing your brake fluid or changing brake lines.

Get a compression tester to test the new motor. I got a $30 Bosch one and it's great. You basically disconnect your fuse for fuel and for ignition, take all your spark plugs out, screw the compression tester into your spark plug hole of the cylinder you want to test, and then crank the motor for about 5 pulses. Rinse and repeat for all the cylinders. Write down the measurements and compare. General rule of thumb is all cylinders should be within 15 psi of each other. Actual psi measurement depends on the motor's compression, but generally speaking most are above 100 psi. Look up whatever the factory measurement is for your car as a baseline number.
>>
>>14662089
More information on baselining a car is everywhere on youtube and the internet in general. A well known channel called EricTheCarGuy on youtube makes good explanatory videos. Mighty Car Mods also has a few good videos, further back in their history. Popular cars also have online communities that can answer almost any question you can ask about your car. Most car people are very nice and are friendly to noobs. This stuff isn't rocket surgery and /o/ tends to overcomplicate it alot. Don't be scared to try it and don't be scared to ask questions about it.

So in order of importance:

Engine Oil
Other Fluids
Coolant Hoses
Tires
Compression Test
Ignition System
Brake Pads/Rotors
Brake Hydraulic System
Air Filter
Clutch Hydraulic System
Fuel Filter
Vacuum lines/Solenoids
Replace Fuses
Replace O2 sensors
Clean throttle body (Seafoam injection pre throttle body while running works pretty well if you don't want to take it all apart.)
Water Pump/Timing Belt
Oil Pump/Camshaft Seals/Front Main Seal
Suspension overhaul (Do it all at once unless it's and emergency fix, that way you only have to align it once after your done instead of every time you change something.)
Clutch/Rear Main Seal

etc.... etc...
>>
>>14662163
I would compression test before you buy the car. If the guy doesn't let you do it then walk away. Then get those first 7 done within the first 2 weeks of owning the car.
>>
OP go ask in the dbt motorcycle thread, everyone here doesn't know fucking shit about motorcycles
>>
ITT: a bunch of retards who have no clue when it comes to motorcycles.

Like this dumb ass:
>>14660981

If you want to ask bike questions, go to dbt. Everyone else on /o/ is a fucking retard when it comes to motorcycles.
>>
>>14662276
>>14662332
Will do familias, kinda wish I would have seen it sooner so I didn't have to make a single thread for it all though
>>
>>14662332
So what happens when you run into a pothole at speed on a motorcycle?
Are there bikes that can fit pool cleaning equipment on them?
>>
>>14662450
>So what happens when you run into a pothole at speed on a motorcycle?

The suspension absorbs it and you carry on. What do you think happens?

>Are there bikes that can fit pool cleaning equipment on them?

Why would you want to carry around pool cleaning equipment? Are you a peasant?
>>
>>14660992
everywhere really, the problem is that no one in a car will see you, you need to be aware of everything and everyone around all the time, anticipating everything, it's pretty tiring
>>
>>14662491
You've never seen big potholes then. I dropped a wheel in a pothole 1ft deep and smashed the wheel. I was pissed, but needless to say I still carried on like normal. It was wet out too. If I were on a bike, that wheel would have fallen in and the whole bike would have rotated around it and flipped. It's just not a safe idea for non-ideal road conditions. People fuck up, and it would be a better idea for OP to be in a structural cage of metal with seatbelts and crumple zones than to be catapult ammunition.

As for the pool cleaning stuff, look at his posts you fucking peasant. He is getting a job as a pool cleaner, and it requires equipment bigger than what a motorcycle can carry.
>>
>>14662517
If you live in Somalia and there are bike sized potholes on shitty roads, you just ride around them. I still don't see how this is insurmountable? You need to watch where you are going, bike or car.

The fact that you ran straight into an obstacle in the road like an idiot and damaged your car in your third world country has no bearing on anything.

If you're a pool cleaning peasant there is no reason you should ride a motorcycle. I'm not here to make OP's sound logical decisions for him. If he needs to carry a bunch of shit and can't figure out motorcycles are not ideal for this it's not my problem.
>>
>>14660906
Despite what other people have said, motorcycles are really only as dangerous as you make them out to be. If you pay attention on a motorcycle, you are honestly probably less likely to be in an accident then a car is, for the sole fact that you have numerous times the maneuverability of them and also a much smaller body that you are more in tune with. That being said, if you do get into an accident it is more likely you will be injured.

Most bikes nowadays offer cases that you hook up to your bike. They are normally pretty expensive, but it lets you carry things around. Any guns you carry will probably not fit and have to be stapped and put on the back or however you make it work. It will not be convenient, it will not be easy. This is probably the worst part about having a bike. You will save a lot of money in gas, but unfortunately you can't lane split in Florida so you won't be getting terribly good mileage in the city.

Based on reading some of the thread I would suggest an adventure bike, like a KLR or something in the likes of that. Look for lots of storage and ease of maintenance.
>>
>>14662332

All /dbt/ is going to do is show you the same webms 80 times in a row while shitposting about kitkat while kitkat shitposts.
>>
>>14660906
If you want to carry things, get a truck.

Bikes are fun but impractical in some respects because you can't carry shit on them, even with a backpack or a bag rack.

Take the MSF course (or equivalent), they'll teach you how to ride safely in a closed environment. They should provide bikes and gear so don't worry about that.

As for your first bike, get something with less than 80hp. A 600+cc sportbike (ala GSXR, ZX6R, R6 etc) are NOT suitable for new riders.

Your first bike probably won't be your last, always remember this. You can always trade up to a faster bike, so don't get into the thought train of "hurr I'll grow into it" because that's bullshit.

Wear decent gear and ride within your limits and you should be fine.
>>
>>14662552
It was raining, the water covered up the pothole and it blended right in with the road, and I had other things on my mind.

I mean seriously I don't know how you are justifying incorrect physics and statistical analysis. He is going to fuck up in a city on some level, hopefully it won't be bad, but I sure as hell don't want to see him die because of it because some tards from /dbt/ convinced him that riding around on an open piece of metal with 2 wheels while being surrounded by other larger, heavier and moving pieces of metal was somehow safe and worth the fuel economy. It isn't. It's not a good idea and is just wishful thinking for this man's application. YOUR example doesn't apply here.
>>
Ok, OP back and I slept on the whole thing, browsed DBT and am gonna talk to some people I know who have biked for a while in FL, hopefully that'll get me set on one vehicle

>>14664445
As for potholes, I live in South Florida, potholes are pretty much non existent around here, I'm more worried about someone with Alzheimers merging into me

And for pool equipment, it's not an absolute necessity. For at least a year I'll have to be passengering with someone else due to the fact that the state won't let me run on my own with what are technically classified as "dangerous chemicals".
>>
>>14664076
Thats great info. Not op, but i really want to get a motorcycle so bad. Knowing i wont carry too much stuff besides a backpack. Maybe a camera in some cases
>>
>>14666617
Get a klr 650 and some bungie cords. The first is nigh indestructible and the second have always been the answer to haul shit
>>
>>14667094
What for?
Street?
Dirt?
Car skills do not transfer at all, in my case the opposite has fucked me up.
If you're in europe be mindful of restrictions
>>
>>14660906
>torn between a truck and a sport bike

Neither one is gonna make your dick bigger, buy what you need.

Do you need storage/hauling ability? Buy a truck.

Do you need your helmetless, gearless body flailing all over the third lane of a freeway? Buy a sport bike.

Do you need sensible, reliable transportation? Buy a Toyota. Hell, even get a GT-86. It'll get better mileage than the truck, and has a roof, so you can drive it on rainy days (unlike the sport bike).

Do you not need any vehicle? Then carry on living your life in mommy's basement.
>>
>>14660906
Sports bike.
70MPG.
Yeah Right! doing sixth gear at 35 mph?
My CBR600RR gets 42 MPG highway.
>>
>>14667179
Im in the us. California, lane split~
Is the fz 07 consider as crusier? I really like that bike and yamaha is rated to be most reliable? Mostly for communting to school and quick travel to places. The only problem i have is when i have to carry a large print (15" x 20") to school. I dont really expect my car skill to be useful at all besides my habbit of checking my mirrors.
>inb4 met a girl who also want a motorcycle so badly but got deined by the same group of people
>>
>>14661024
Who are you kidding? You're not gonna be driving around 4 people in your crew cab. It'll be you & your feelings, or maybe you & your hog-hunting friend & your guns. You don't need a truck, because your friend already has the truck. You don't WANT a bike because you're going to die riding it.

You want a reasonable amount of safety, decent gas mileage, and reliability. Get a Mazda 3, or a Toyota Corolla, or a Chevy Cobalt. Hell, you could even probably find a decent Lexus or Acura that some granny has babied for the last 10 years; you're in Florida, they're fucking everywhere. Go to your nearest retirement home, and look at their "for sale" board. There'll be a few cars there, guaranteed.
>>
>>14667210
Fz07 is a naked, if you like the look i have a Shiver: more engine, but lolitalian
Just be wary of the absolutely cringeworthy fanbase yamahas have
Lanesplitting in the us is a bitch, though from my understanding you have a speed limite for that and can't cross double yellows... Kinda sucks
Here in based pastaland if you're faster than a punto police won't even look at you
>>
>>14667212
But why get a shitty econobox when you can buy an excellent motard at the same price?
You get an incredibly fun vehicle, better empeegees than most cars and get to have an absolute blast during every commute
>>
>>14667245
>why get an econobox when you can get a bike

Well, this dude needs it for a job. So he's presumably going to need it every day, and it rains a lot in south Florida.

I'm not opposed to a bike as a toy, but it would suck as a DD, because rain is a thing, and even in south Florida, commuting in soggy leathers isn't much fun.
>>
>>14667233
You mean they don't even bother chasing motorist? Oh so thats what ot called. Any how, ill probably start on a sport bike like the popular ninja before spending more dough on a fz 07. The shiver looks very cool btw. How cringe is the yamaha fans? I have absolutely no idea
>>
>>14667212
>>14667194
OP again, not an /o/utist so what the hell is it with dick comparisons and vehicles? Ya'll care more about my dick than Libs do when they hear about guns
>>
>>14667261
You're trying to buy two vehicles that everyone stereotypes as being for small-dicked attention whores. It's how it goes.
>>
>>14667210
FZ07 is classified as a naked / standard, meaning it has a neutral seating position and is suitable for many different styles of riding. It's a good bike and one of the most popular in that class at that price among new bikes.

Always go take your safety class first and get your license before bike shopping. That way you can test ride potential bikes.
>>
>>14667276
Do people actually want to be that involved with my dick? Damn. Either way, I'm actually kinda swayed hearing about some of the econo boxes, I just have no idea where to start looking for them. And I wouldn't always have my buddy to go hog hunting with, we both have lives but I'd probably have more time for it than he does. I suppose I can always ruck it but that's a bitch and a half on dozens of acres, any idea of cars that could compromise for FL back roads and not get truck style fuel inefficacy?
>>
>>14667285
Ya im planning to take the written test and then the safety course. Cant afford a bike yet, but ill get a job soon.
>>
>>14667285
Im thinking would my bad time managment not fit well with riding motorcycle. Since you need quite a shile to warm it up, dress up in gear? Maybe this can be a change for myself?
>>
>>14667290
>I just have no idea where to start looking for them.

1) Stereotypes of brands exist largely for a reason; Toyotas, Hondas, Mazdas tend to be very reliable.

2) If you're looking for an econobox, stick to mass-produced cars. They'll be cheaper to repair, and easier to find parts for.

3) as for backroad handling, etc., you might be better off with a truck/SUV. SUVs will likely have better roadhandling on non-paved roads. Or, if you plan to go hog-hunting on your own often, a pickup truck might actually be a good choice; you don't want to have to clean up blood every time you go to shoot some pigs.

How often are you going hunting? How far are you traveling for work vs. for your excursions (hunting/fishing)?
>>
>>14667409
Work shouldn't be too far, I could probably bike it if I really ended up dying for money. Hog hunting would depend somewhat on when I can get a contact for it, but assuming (And it's not that big of an assumption) some farmer wants to let me drop dozens of hogs at his farm, probably every weekend or every other weekend whenever I had the chance. Fishing is about an hour each way for me to drive
>>
>>14660906
A Ford ranger with the 4 cyl will get about 23mpg I think and parts will be plenty. I'd do that if I were you. A Volvo wagon with awd might be a good alternative too if you wanna trade offroadedness for more mpgs
>>
>>14667414
ok. Sounds like the truck is most necessary for hogging; you don't have your own boat, do you?

With that in mind, a pickup truck (like a Ford Ranger or Mazda B2000 or Toyota Tacoma) will likely be a reasonable option. They're not the most fuel efficient, but they'll be better than the V8 pickups (like an F150 or Chevy 1500/Silverado); if you get a bed cover (tonneaus will be best for fuel economy; google it), it could reasonably help your fuel economy, plus, if you get a hard cover, you can store your guns in the bed without fearing they'll get stolen (any more than you would if you left them in your car, anyway).

For my money, I'd look into a mid-2000s Ford Ranger or Toyota Tacoma pickup for you, mainly for the hog hunting; if you're gonna be on some farmer's land, you're going to need something high enough off the ground that you won't be scraping your undercarriage.
>>
>>14667428
Absolutely. Since you need the truck for hogging, something like the following would probably be ideal for you:

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/5491458620.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/5452372528.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/5475852121.html
>>
>>14667464
Depending on what type of documentation the guy has of his accident that caused the salvage title, this might be a good option too:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/5496051931.html
>>
>>14660992
>Or is it just that some people can never be trusted and it'll always be dangerous

TEENAGERS
BROWSING
FACEBOOK

My biggest fear when riding. They're always driving their parents SUV and I can see that fucking blue and white screen from 3 cars back and 2 lanes over.
>>
>>14667446
>>14667464
>>14667478

>Dat Ranger MPG
Lawd have mercy, is it hot in here or is it just me?
That aside though, damn that sounds like the best option. Though a quick google search tells me a supercab has half the MPG of a regular, any idea why that is/if there's validity to it?
>>
>>14667554
Nevermind, quick reading says that was an electric model. Still though decent efficiency for a truck. I like the look of it
>>
>>14664445
>He is going to fuck up in a city on some level
>riding around on an open piece of metal with 2 wheels while being surrounded by other larger, heavier and moving pieces of metal was somehow safe and worth the fuel economy. It isn't.
>It's not a good idea and is just wishful thinking for this man's application.
>YOUR example doesn't apply here.
>I'm a woman that is afraid of motorcycles and think they are rolling death machines

Cool bullshit opinions bro.
>>
/o/k, so I was doing some reading and talking to people and I came up with about the most autistic poorfag plan

>Buy VW Golf at 33/42 MPG max for like 6k
>Buy used dirt bike for 6-700
>Use Golf for day to day
>Load dirtbike into Golf with all seats folded down
>Drive bike to farm
>Use bike to hunt down pig

I did the measurements and it seems to check out, and it gives me what I need, even if it is autistic as all hell
>>
>>14667866
Noice. When i got me bike i loaded it in a van too
Pay attention to gas fumes. Almost killed us
>>
>>14667866
How are you going to keep the bike from getting damaged/damaging your car when you load it/unload it/drive it around?
>>
>>14667902
Hella amounts of ratchet straps
>>
>>14667256
Meh, i've ben riding for 4 years, only recently bothered getting a car licence, but i'm still carless.
Oustside America riders are not fairweather pussies, here especially you often see straightpiped tracksluts with slicks zooming about, since the only police equipment that could catch them is on highway patrol.
>>
>>14667908
2-3 are enough, more is overkill, even for a cruiser.
I used 2 to push it down and one to keep the steering anchored.
The spares were really only there for my anxiety
>>
>>14667908
what are you going to attach them to? Also, the back seats on a Golf don't fold totally flat; are you sure you'll have enough clearance to get the bike fully in the car?
>>
>>14667908
>hella

NORCAL 4 LYF HELLA SWAG BRO BE STYLIN ON U FLAT BRIM HAT SIK SIK GYMKHANA BRA
>>
>>14668642
That was a hella productive statement you made there friendo :^)
>>
>>14660931
>>14660979
dont listen to this cuck get the bike and when you get hit make $$$ and get free opiates
>>
Posting here because /dbt/ is like way past bump limit.

How commonly do people finance bikes? Is it a dumb idea? I'm giving a real look into buying my first one.
>>
>>14671650

Do not fucking do this. Do not buy new for your first bike. Only buy new if it's your absolute 100% dreambike and you can't stand the thought of someone having touched it before you. Do not buy your dreambike as your first bike. No matter how safe you are, you have a higher chance of getting into an accident on a bike, and as a new rider you will more than likely drop it and possibly scratch or fuck the fairings. Buy a used bike on the cheap. Save up like 3k-4k and get somewhere between a 250cc-650cc bike (and gear/insurance) and ride/practice on that for like 6 months-1 year while you get the basics down. In that time, you can save up a little extra and sell your first bike and then get a good one that you won't lowside like a noob and scratch the hell out of. Of course, I'm assuming you have zero knowledge or experience on two wheeled motorized vehicles. Regardless, it's retarded to finance your first bike.
>>
>>14671791
and remember if you drop it on purpose it will count against accidental drops. People usually drop their bikes around 3-4 times a year, you should stack the drops that way you don't have to worry about it for the rest of the year. And no you can't just lay it down it has to be a legit drop with legit drop force. I suggest dropping it 5 times in a row just to be safe.
>>
>>14671791
I was looking at the CB300F. They're $4k new. I'm approaching this with the idea that I know I'm probably going to fuck it up, and I know I don't want to buy anything that I would be heartbroken if I really damaged.

If I was a dumbass, I'd go out and buy a Triumph. The used option makes me nervous because it's still a shitload of money, and there's no warranty at all. I don't know who has abused it in the past, and I don't know the red flags to look for well enough in searching for a used machine. Just looking on craigslist, a dealership is offering a 4 year old Ninja 250R for $3500. If a new model is $500 more, why?

I have a small amount of experience. Not enough to matter. But I'm more coordinated than your average bear.

Sorry if I'm coming off as defensive or anything. I'm just trying to understand.
>>
>>14671831
>Just looking on craigslist, a dealership is offering a 4 year old Ninja 250R for $3500.

Where are you located? Even dealerships sell terrible shit sometimes. You could get a 250R for 500-1000 less from a private seller. If you're that worried about it, talk to a seller and tell them you'd like a mechanic to look it over. It'll cost you a bit, but you'll be paying hundreds less than buying used from a dealership.
>>
>>14671911
I'm in Dallas.

I'm looking through the listings and not seeing a whole lot other than dirt bikes.
>>
>>14671922

Where are you looking? I'm looking right now and Dallas has an absolute shitton of used bikes on craigslist.
>>
Original OP here, trying to shill out more (you)s. I'm going to go look at a 2007 Golf GTI today, guy wants like 4000 for it. What should I look for, this a shifty price? Should I try to pull the mask off in case the dealer is a lizard man?
>>
>>14671799
Scrolling past first page and read this. Sounds interesting g and I wish to learn more
>>
>>14672851
Check the engine for oily grime, wipe it off and rub it between your fingers with the most professional look you can muster
If he starts sweating bullets there's something he did not tell you
>>
File: 0224160407.jpg (1MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
0224160407.jpg
1MB, 2340x4160px
Pool cleaning for minimum wage? Fuck that noise.

Work for FedEx Ground, and chuck boxes as a Package Handler.

I started at $10.96 and am up to $12.40/hr after a year and a half with full benefits and tuition assistance.

See if it's feasible to attend a Sort Observation in your area

https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/searchopenings.aspx

OP Keep in mind the car will probably smell like chlorine after a while, if it's not an open bed truck, burning your sense of smell and making it not so great for other potential riders.

Ninja 250/300's lose value so fast in my area. Sadly everyone and their mother almost always want 3 large no matter the mileage

https://miami.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=kawasaki+ninja+300&max_price=3500

2014 ninja 300 $3500
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/5494176580.html

>>14671831
taxes and fees will get you at a dealer
Protip: Motorcycle vin's can be run by request in the the vincheck thread

>>14659823
>>
File: wC6zFsH.jpg (791KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
wC6zFsH.jpg
791KB, 2448x3264px
Faggot ass OP here, just got home with my 2005 Golf GTI for 3600 after tax and transfer. How badly did I get fucked?
>>
>>14671629
I really wish I can get a motorcycle
>mfw I can't/allow to get one until I graduate and get a full time job
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.