[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/o/ tell your story about mysterious or unusual noises and symptoms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: bang bang.jpg (30KB, 424x317px) Image search: [Google]
bang bang.jpg
30KB, 424x317px
/o/ tell your story about mysterious or unusual noises and symptoms your car has ever shown, and you found it to be the strangest cause that was not at all what you expected.
>>
>>14651710
Every once in awhile I hear some large chunk of steel fall off of my truck.

Still not sure what any of them have been. But when you hear something metallic go flying around in the wheel well, it is kinda unnerving.
>>
Going up mountain get something like a deep metallic popping and then the motor almost dies.....no idea doesn't do it much anymore but still won't pull that road over 40 mph...1984 dodge d150 318 727 if anyone has an idea
>>
File: stockphoto.jpg (56KB, 567x348px) Image search: [Google]
stockphoto.jpg
56KB, 567x348px
97 buick shitbox
3.1l motor

sounded like when you run over a fucking tree branch whenever a cold start or cold transmission engage

replaced starter figuring it wasnt disengaging right

nope,

put 10k on it and traded that piece of shit for a truck asap
>>
>>14651710

A couple days ago I was driving on a windy day and a loud knocking was coming from my vehicle. When I parked I looked under my vehicle and didn't see anything wrong. Turns out it was just the cord of my block heater slapping against the side of my car.
>>
File: s2010-02-25.jpg (620KB, 1200x896px) Image search: [Google]
s2010-02-25.jpg
620KB, 1200x896px
>every time i slow down i hear a rhythmic clicking coming from my rear wheels
>goes with revs up to about 15-20 mph or so when it stops
>goes on for about a year
eventually found out the ebrake shoes came loose and were click clacking up and down against each other when i slowed down, while centrifugal force would keep them planted against the outer edge of the drum when i went fast enough. it was a 3rd gen ford explorer btw (02-05).
>>
>>14652795
>w-body
>chevy 60 degree v6
>literally a shittier version of the regal, which was shit

what did you expect from GM's shittiest millenial model idiot
>>
>>14651820
Lures falling out of your tacklebox?
>>
>>14651888

It's pinging/detonation/pre-igniting It's breddy bad. Google search it.
>>
>>14651820

I often get a metal ring too. I chalked it up to stones hitting the chassis or drive shaft because it only happens on my aggregate neighborhood road and I heard it on my dads pajero as well. In fwd cars it's just a dull thud and I believe that it's because there is nothing hard to hit under there.
>>
Whenever I drove with the window down, id here a fast buzzing noise like a bug was flying next to me. Turned out to be the seatbelt tag flapping violently.
>>
Bit of a funny one;

Volvo TAMD 60 B that would build two bar of oil pressure just fine but at about 2000 to 2100 oil pressure would drop off violently. Shutdown the motor and restart, oil pressure returns to normal. Govern up to 2100 and oil pressure falls.

Proper head scratcher as the TAMD 60 only has one oil pressure relief valve and this was operating normally.

As it turned out, the previous 'tech' had filled the sump to TAMD 61 A specs and it was quite overfull. The oil output from an open cock at 2100 was frothy and weak indicating air entering the lubricating system.

We stuck a boroscope down the sump inspection port and I couldn't believe what we saw.

What was happening was this engine was fitted with Volvo's deep oil sump, where the other option is a shallow scavenged sump for shallow draft installations. Being overfull allowed a vortex to form in the overfull oil at higher rpm and was drawing air into the lubricating system and losing oil pressure.

That took about a week to suss out. Mind boggling as I have never experienced that, and never have again.
>>
>>14653265
But it only happens when going up the mountain.... I've had the truck over 80mph with no problems.... Also it sounds like it's coming from the bottom end / transmission
>>
>>14651710
Start a 3 hour drive, going along nicely, suddenly grinding sound from engine compartment, no metal shavings in oil, not the belt accessorizes, feels weird when turning by hand

Been sitting on my lawn for a few months now. got the driveway clear recently, so in the next few days I'll be getting it up on stands and checking the drivewheel/torque converter and the trans. If not that, the engine'll be coming out and I'll look deeper into it
>>
Back when I had my Lincoln LS I'd hear the strangest clicking sound as I'd accelerate. Only paid $1100 for the v6 manual LS that was in okay condition.

>Car had a loud exhaust due to rot
>Whenever I'd accelerate I'd hear a faint clicking / tapping noise - it'd respond to speed
>I checked bearings, fluids, and felt for u joint play
>Then I moved the tires around
>About two months of this I found a salvage yard that'd sell me the complete exhaust for $100 if I pulled it myself
>When I went to remove the existing exhaust from the hangers I found a massive black zip tie around the driveshaft
>Somehow completely overlooked it when feeling for play
>>
>>14656083
This happens in my Subaru. Gets me every time
>>
I would hear a clunking sound when making left turns from my front right suspension, but only when cold out. It's warm now so it stopped, but I have no idea.
>>
>>14660797
suspensions get old and creak. Try lubing the joints up.
>>
This is recent on my BMW e90

>multiple misfires on cylinders 4, 5 and 6
>all on the same bank, bank 2
>engine runs fine, smooth no rough idles
>no change in mpg, (have over 3 yrs of mpg data)
>swap all coils 6 to 1, 5 to 2 and 4 to 3.
>problem persists, same codes for 4,5 and 6
>pull plugs, all fine, swap to other cylinders
>problem returns to the same cylinders on bank 2
>check for leaks with carb cleaner, no leaks
>drive car until empty and refuel with 93 on a different station
>problem goes away only to return 2 weeks later
>listen to injectors, maybe they are not working on bank 2, they all sound good
>check injector solenoid resistance, all the same
>wtf
>start considering timing issues with either solenoids or vvti actuating motor
>pull exhaust and intake solenoids, clean them and swap
>fucking codes come back again
>check O2 sensors while driving to see voltage output (have the blue driver app and code reader)
>all the same, O2 sensors almost matched perfectly
>while reading on misfire codes, some fag on a forum mentioned the battery could be going on its way out
>buy battery tester, $60 based eBay
>check battery, fails CCA test
>well fuck me
>recharge battery and drive car for a week straight, long and short distances
>test battery again, Pass

And that ordeal took me almost a month and a half, the problem is that I wasn't driving the car enough to keep the battery charged. Mind you the car always started but somehow bank 2 was affected by the battery being low. I'll end up replacing the battery soon anyways since it's 9 yrs old.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.