[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My aunt tried to teach me stick today in her '90s Tercel.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 13

File: DSC00197.jpg~original.jpg (226KB, 1296x972px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00197.jpg~original.jpg
226KB, 1296x972px
My aunt tried to teach me stick today in her '90s Tercel. I stalled that mother-fucker at least a million times.

I felt like I was endangering her life. We didn't even go on the highway.

My dreams were crushed.
>>
>drive to empty backroad
>start-stop-start-stop-start-stop until you run out of road
>do the same thing in reverse
>keep doing this until you stop stalling and lurching it
>you've learned how to drive stick and the rest is easy

It only takes an hour or two at most.
>>
>>14645414
cool
>>
It's a lot easier learning manual in something with lots of torque because it's way harder to stall.
>>
>>14645414
don't feel bad, it's just a turdcell
>>
>Drive manual cars a few times during test drives.
>1st and 2nd gear only 20 MPH.
>Never stall it.

I don't even
>>
>>14645414
That's the spirit. At first if you don't succeed, give up.
>>
>>14645414
Buy a shit-box without a tachometer. Proceed to shift at random intervals because you have no clue when to change gears. Be me.
>>
>>14645414
i stalled several times on a car test drive

didn't stop me from buying the car i wanted

and 3 month later i'm zipping around without worrying about stalling
>>
>>14645414
I wanted a car really bad. Found a cool 2002 Mustang GT with a manual gearbox. Said fuck it and bought it. Got someone to drive it home and made it a point to learn it. You'll regret it for the first week or so, but one day it'll just click and you'll understand why everybody who can drive stick says it's the funnest thing ever. It really is.
>>
>>14645452
Were you born this based?
>>
>>14645467
>You'll regret it for the first week or so
Elaborate, please.
>>
>>14645414
Do it like my driving instructor did on my first lesson. Motherfucker slapped me into Rush Hour in my Hometown (about 300 000 people)

Baptism by fire
>>
>>14645476
How many years did you take off that car?
>>
>>14645473
You're going to drive like shit and stall and it'll be frustrating as hell. But then it all just clicks and next thing you know you're ripping around like Dagumi
>>
>>14645473
Well you'll go to sleep thinking
"I just spent almost $5000 on a car I cannot drive"
And every time you sit in it and either stall or lurch forward you'll curse yourself for thinking you could learn it. But one day you'll be on the freeway going 70mph, downshift into 4th perfectly to pass someone, shift back into 5th and then you'll just know. There's nothing better.

Instead of stalling and giving up. Stall and try to find out "why" you stalled. And how to fix it. You're only stalling for three reasons
1. Not enough RPM
2. Letting off clutch too quick without enough gas
3. Your car is fucked

Seriously. Stalling encouraged me to find out and fix my mistakes.
>>
>>14645480
I don't even wanna fucking know, it was a 6 speed touran and I've stalled it like 8 times at a green light, which in turn gave me the greatest honking concert I'ver ever heard.

First lesson was a nightmare but after I was considerably less scared of traffic overall and stalled less.

That all went right out the window when I hit the Autobahn for the first time

German drivers ed, such fun
>>
best piece of advice I know of to people learning how to drive a manual: find a flat bit of road and teach your foot to find the bite point of the clutch
burn it into your mind, the rest is easy as sneezing
>>
>>14645473
not him but it sucks

I was really timid, and it made me kinda suck at driving because i was afraid of stalling it. You have to get used to helping the car along.
My mom made me do hill starts for a whole hour then I was pretty good, I just needed to build the confidance.

>>14645476
Holy fuck that sounds brutal.
>>
>>14645527
>downshift into 4th perfectly to pass someone, shift back into 5th
So one day after a lot of frustration, you can finally do something an automatic can do out the box?
>>
>>14645570
Don't it perfectly with your own hands and feet is very rewarding. It makes the driving experience much more involved. Makes a normal drive a fun one.
>>
>>14645570
>there are people on this board who consider themselves car enthusiasts but think manual is stupid
>>
>>14645431
wouldn't that prevent him from learning how to properly start a manual
or should he drive big v8s for the rest of his life?
>>
who cares just drive auto

in 10-20 years time when modern cars are piss cheap basically everything will be auto at that point and still be quicker/more efficient than any standard car

but you're a total faggot for not learning to drive standard in the first place
>>
Just sleep on it and try again.

I guarantee you'll do a lot better the next time you try it.

At least that's how it worked for me. Maybe it has something to do with needing time for skills to become muscle memory.
>>
File: 1452936366627.png (296KB, 649x649px) Image search: [Google]
1452936366627.png
296KB, 649x649px
we all have experiences like that when we learn to drive, OP.

my father took me to the steepest hill in town, and told me we weren't going home until i mastered it.

>parallel parking in steep hills
>starting in steep hills etc

thanks, dad.
>>
>>14645473
for me it was like this

> first day: still can hardly drive a stick, have to drive 40 miles with freeway traffic to work
> stressed out and nervous as fuck
> stall dozens of times, mostly in stop and go traffic in the south bay
> somehow make it
> on the way back, decide to take a slightly longer trip through san francisco
> one of the worst decisions in my life
> literally back to back stalling and clutch slipping up one of those uphill freeway entrances with cars as far as the eye can see in every direction

the next day was substantially easier, and maybe a week later i was decent.
>>
>>14645604

>wouldn't that prevent him from learning how to properly start a manual

Not really, it's like using training wheels on a bike.

>should he drive big v8s for the rest of his life?

Yes, Ideally, every "man" should.
>>
>>14645766
> Not really, it's like using training wheels on a bike.

wouldn't it be like riding with training wheels and not taking them off
>>
>>14645414
Eurofag here. Pretty much everyone takes their driving test with a manual transmission, unless they've specifically been found too retarded to operate on and can only drive an auto. There's even a special auto-only license.
If the biggest retard on the road with a normal license can do it, so can you.
>>
>>14645414
Is she hot? Try on something with more power, I never even need to give mine gas from a dead stop even on a moderate hill. Just control the clutch when letting it out, feel what's happening rather than being in a hurry to get going. The engine will tell you what's happening if you pay attention to it.
>>
>>14645788

No. It's way easier to learn the basic technique on a bigger engine. After you got the basic technique down it's easier to transfer it to smaller cars with weaker engines. Dunno it's hard to explain unless you've actually tried both methods.
>>
>>14645808
alright, i guess that's probably true
>>
>>14645808
I can verify this, learned how to drive manual in my dad's truck. It fucking sucked but once I figured it out it was a fun time.
>>
>>14645414
ahahahahaha
>>
The only hard part for me was getting moving at first because I was afraid of giving it too much gas. Once you get going it's super easy.
>>
File: AAAAAAA-1420165375.jpg (165KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAA-1420165375.jpg
165KB, 900x600px
>getting taught to drive by a woman
>>
File: Cdelc0TUkAAhruT.jpg (112KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Cdelc0TUkAAhruT.jpg
112KB, 600x800px
>>14646129
>>
whats so fucking hard? Just put it in first gear.
I stalled maybe twice while I was learning to drive with an instructor.
Isn't it a requirement in your country to learn to drive manual to pass the driving test?
>>
>go to buy used car
>test drive with friend
>stall it 3 times trying to leave on test drive
>get onto highway
>stall lots turning around to get back onto highway to go see the guy
>friend with me keeps offering to drive
>decline and drive the two hour drive home
>trial by fire
>end up being pretty competent by the end of the drive
>full understanding of stick within the first week

Wasn't bad. My biggest problem was listening to my friends advice. He was trying to help, but it's something that just has to click in your own head. You have to find your own understanding of it.
>>
Start off with the basics OP, practice getting the car to move using only the clutch so you know where the friction point is.
Getting out of first gear is the hardest part, after that it's just like breathing.
>>
>>14645452
this is the best way to do it, i bought a manual car two weeks ago having only driven manual three times and it took me three days to get used to drive. After around a week its just as easy as driving an auto
>>
>>14645527
learning to shift it smoothly is so satisfying too
>>
Wear thin soled shoes I thought a friend to drive 5 speed and he couldn't get it kept stalling the next day he was great

The difference is the first day he was wearing heavy Boots the second day he was wearing thin-soled skating shoes he could actually feel the vibrations in the pedal made all the difference I don't know for certain but that's probably why professional Racing shoes have such thin soles
>>
>>14645451
I learned on a ranger with no tach. Just listen and it all works out.
>>
>>14645414
Don't worry Anon

>Mom teaches me stick for the first time in her VW Beetle Turbo
>Stall, genuinely don't have fun, feel like I suck at it

Almost a year goes by

>"Hey ma, lets go out and try driving stick again."
>Almost immediately better for some reason, do a pretty good job for only my second time.

Which was good because my car was in the shop and the next day...

>Anon, I'm sick, I can't drive you to work, take my car
>Sweating bullets driving a manual car by myself after only one successful lesson
>Scare the shit out of some roadie cyclists when I peel away from a light too fast
>Fuck those spandex pussies anyways
>Have to park on the side of a mountain for work, stall it on the way out due to the hill

Drove it for, like, two more days after that and was genuinely terrified despite doing okay.

You'll get the hang of it, Anon.
>>
File: suzuki-x90-black.jpg (58KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
suzuki-x90-black.jpg
58KB, 800x533px
>>14645414
i feel you OP
when i was first learning how to drive my dad tried to teach me manual on his Suzuki X90 in a parking lot and i killed prolly 20 times
got a job as a porter at 18 and learned to drive manual in a 5.0 Mustang
Been driving stick for 5-ish years everything from diesel trucks and tractors, sports cars, econo shitboxes, and everything in between
>>
>>14646129
My driving instructor was a woman, to this day she is the best driver I've ever met. She was an absolute perfectionist when it comes to car control and got me out of a lot of bad habits that had festered with the balding divorced wanker in his 40s that I'd had before her.
Honestly wouldn't have passed my test without her.
>>
LOLOL i taught myself manual and it took about a half hour to master
>>
The only manual transmission vehicles I have driven are pic related and a TORO workman side by side that I used when I worked for the Parks Department.

Luckily they were both super easy to drive because I knew the concept of how to do it, and they both have lots of torque.
>>
i learned stick by going full autism and going on the internet and youtube then buying a miata. Reversing was awkward as fuck a first because you feel likeyou need three feet you need to clutch it out and you feel like you need to hover a foot over the brake because you are/were an automatic babby. I stalled once by showing my mom i cant take off in second gear (protip wih enough slippage you can do 3rd gear start in a miata). I was a noob with the clutch engagement so i needed to replace the original clutch at 118k. Kinda due for a replacement anyway but learning stick on it finished it off.

Tl;dr learned stick by buying stick car and driving it home
>>
My driving teacher took me and a pothead from my school to an abandoned skatepark behind the city for our first lesson. She showed us the basics, we did a few turns there and then she sat in the back seat and we were supposed to get her to local gas station for her to buy smokes, switch, and take her back to the School building. First day behind the wheel and neither of us stalled because we both were too scared to fuck up, even though there wasn't much traffic.

Fear makes a good teacher.

Fuck throttle blipping though, didn't even know about revv matching until I drove my first petrol car.
>>
Trolling aside, if anyone makes a real attempt (an hour or two) and can't learn how to drive stick, there's either something horribly wrong with you or the person teaching you. It's not some arcane black art. It's just knowing much to press down on a pedal or two. Everyone on the planet before 1950 knew how to drive non-synchromesh manuals.

It's not that hard. My mother can barely change a lightbulb and she learned how to drive stick at age 55. Probably took me 20 minutes when I was in my mid 20s. And we're Americans so anyone can learn.
>>
My dad delivered my first manual across state for me. A 95 ford ranger.
I had exactly one day to learn it and he left.
I was terrified of hill stops that week, felt like i was going to roll back and hit someone.
Never did have any trouble but god damn my left shin had shit intense shooting pain for like 3 months, i guess i just wasnt used to using my left leg like that. Could hardly walk during that period, seriously thought of giving up on manual altogether.
>>
>>14645527
So much this
>>
>learn to use a manual in an '89 Mustang GT
>all the torques
>no problem getting the hang of it
>go to buy first manual car, '85 Fiero 2M4
>no torques
>stall trying to leave the place I bought it
>fuck it, GASGASGASGAS
>learn the clutch on the way home
>>
>>14645414
amerifag, you are SO FUCKING STUPID

driving without stick = not really driving.

the satisfaction that you feel when you change gear and the engine sing like a mothafucking soprano, i feel real sorry for US retarded drivers
>>
>>14648920
Offtopic but this devoted into trolling anyway. Is a Fiero good daily driver? Mind you I'm europoor but there is one '87 with 90k miles for 2k eurodollars. Is it hard to transform from the ugly notch into the fastback version?
>>
>>14648934
I'm sure all of your manly ass sopranos sound like engines. Fucking euro queer
>>
>>14645414
When I first learnt how to drive manual in the UK, my instructor told me to raise the clutch up by the thickness of a pound coin at a time (which is <5mm) with the e brake still up, until you can see the nose of the car lift up.

You then hold the clutch there, apply a bit of throttle and release the e brake. You can wave goodbye to your clutch's lifespan, but it will prevent you stalling a million times while you get the hang of the bite point of the clutch.
>>
>>14648967
I used to have an 87 GT, definitely fun to drive but not sure if i would want to commute in it. You'll feel every bump in the road, if its raining you'll be fishtailing with the slightest bit of gas in a turn oh and no power steering
>>
>>14648964
learn to drive, kid, and less butthurt.

not a surprise that in US you learn to drive when u'r 16 yo, it's a fucking game for children driving your car, LOSERS
>>
>>14646129

My instructor was a woman - absolutely fantastic driver. She taught me advanced driving techniques that have made me a better driver.
>>
>>14648958
>Is a Fiero good daily driver?

Not really. They're underpowered, hard to work on, and the quality is 1980s General Motors. No interior space. They're not as sporty to drive as they look, either.
>>
File: 1457276343166.png (79KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1457276343166.png
79KB, 250x242px
>>14648934
>>14648964
>>14648989
>it's another "euros perpetually butthurt about Americans and Americans responding immaturely" argument
>>
>>14645451
Tercel has a tachometer?
>>
>>14648978
Thanks.
I don't mind "skill-based" driving, I used to main a 911 that my dad bought for 4k. Sadly cops came last year and confiscated it ~8 years after the purchase because it was found out to be stolen, so I'm looking for a new fun exotic car on my budget.

From what I understand the Fiero was made from the GM budget bucket parts, but still was plagued with issues. Anything specific to look out for you could share with mw from your experience?
>>
>>14648958

Fiero owner here, I would say yes. I didn't have any problems with the Fiero I owned over the 60k miles I put on it. The car is not hard to work on as the other poster said, the engine is in a weird place but there's tons of room to work in the engine compartment. The car has very few unique parts, so you should be able to get parts very cheap even in Europe. The rear suspension is from a Chevette and the front is shared with the Citation X-11.

I would argue that it has a lot of interior/trunk space compared to other two-seater cars, especially mid-engine ones. I'm 6' tall and weighed 275lbs when I owned mine and I fit comfortably. There's a lot more room than something like a Miata. The trunk is really deep but narrow.

They are underpowered in 4 cylinder form, but I also averaged 32mpg so that's not bad. Still fun to drive, they handle better than their mishmash of '80s GM parts would imply.
>>
>>14649070

Also, as far as working in the engine compartment is concerned, the two vents on either side of the decklid are removable. They each have a single bolt holding them in and don't require any tools to remove. Gives you a lot of extra room and easy access to the battery.
>>
>>14649070

I got the suspension layout reversed, but you get the idea.
>>
>>14645467
How the fuck are you stalling your gt?
>>
>>14648934

You could also say driving a 0.7l diesel shitbox isn't really driving.
>>
When i was 15 my dad let me drive the manual rental car when we visited france. It never stalled but maybe thats cause the diesel torque or that i drove manual quads before a lot.
>>
>>14645641
Same, but it was my grandparents Tercel. Also no tach and goodbye clutch.
>>
File: 20160109_132113_001.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160109_132113_001.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>14645414
>buy first manual car
>buddy drove it over since i was at work
>decide to take it out at night to pick up the g/f
>everythings going smoothly on the way to her
>pick her up and the stalling starts
>at a stop light infront of a bar
>drunk polaks outside
>light turns green, time to go
>when the clutch drops the stalling starts
>polish bastards are laughing at me
>5th stall at the same light "anon why don't we just walk to the place. it's not far."
>light turn red
>polish bastards on the ground rolling and calling their buddies out of the bar
>light turn green again.
>badass peelout
>roasted the tires slightly
>no more stalls since.
>>
>>14649889
I made sure not to pick up or give anybody rides in the first two weeks of buying my Manual car. Shits embarrassing as fuck
>>
>>14649096
Only ever stalled at lights with an incline. And that was only in the first few days
>>
>>14645414
I enjoy these threads. Laughing at amerifats is nice. :)
>>
>>14645414
>>14645431
You just need to figure out where the clutch breaks, so you know when to give it gas.

Get on a flat ground, and depress the clutch. Slowly disengage it, untill the car starts to roll. Rengage clutch, repeat. Once you're comfortable slowly starting the car rolling, practice giving the car gas .

>>14645440
It is harder with a 1.5L engine.
>>
>>14645467
Same experience here, although I'm extra jelly of your car, I learned in a golf. Although the 5cyl engine has a decent amount of torque for what it is. (177lbft)
>>
>>14650105
>until the car starts to roll
Never driven a manual that did this, unless the ground had some inclination.
>>
>>14650143
The idle of the engine is usually enough to start the car rolling forward on level ground, you just have to keep the clutch at the sweet spot long enough for the car to move, before you let off it.
>>
>>14650155
I can vouch for this, I didn't believe it until I tried it
>>
>>14650155
>>14650170
Interesting, going to have to try this.
>>
>>14650174
I would guess it's easier to do this the more powerful the engine, but mine is a 5cyl and it works fine, definitely lugs the engine and wears the clutch though so don't make it a habit
>>
>>14646451
My grandmother had a X90, in silver with the t-Tops, I wish she saved it for me...
>>
>>14650200
When I got my motorcycle license, that was actually the first step. They wanted everyone to understand what a clutch does, and how it works. So we all lined up, and slowly let off the clutch until we felt the bike start to pull forward, then squeezed it back until the bike was still.

I asked if it was bad for the clutch, and the instructor said that's what the clutch is made to do. But there's a big difference between 49cc's and 4000.
>>
>>14645527
>1. Not enough RPM
>2. Letting off clutch too quick without enough gas
That's literally it. People are so intimidated by manuals but if you know these two facts it really becomes so simple
>>
>>14645414
I ride the clutch in second gear when I need to make slow, sharp turns.
How can I stop doing that? It won't shift into first because I'm going to fast, and if I turn in second, it's way too fast, or starts shaking like it's just about to stall. So I just ride the clutch. It's horrible. Please help me.
>>
>>14650290
Because there are countless burned clutches from nervous people spaghetting in traffic when the F150 is on their ass, honking and cussing them out.

American roads aren't very friendly to new drivers, yet alone one who makes them miss a light. We're just too dumb for round-abouts.

Watched someone in a Toyota Tundra drive straight over one in a residential area. Don't want to be relying on that guy to yield while you're in a tercel.
>>
>>14650305
Shift into first and hit your powerband, spin the tires and slide around the turn in dramatic fashion
>>
>>14650305
Break before the turn. Down shift to first, usually you'll be back in second before you're out of the turn.

Otherwise, you can take the turn in neutral if it isn't too fast or sharb, just keep in mind that without power to the wheels, you're more likely to lose control (again, just don't hit turns fast in a light car).
>>
>>14650329
Brake*
>>
>>14650320
I'd just oversteer into something. It's a FWD hatchback.

>>14650329
I do brake before the turn, obviously. But I'm braking to the point where the speed I'm comfortable with around the turn is too high for first and too low for second for some weird reason. But I guess I should just slow down even more and then put it in first to be safe?
People tend to get so much shit for driving in first, though.
>>
>>14650362
It shouldn't be possible to be too high for first, and too low for second, unless you're still braking through the turn and losing power before you reach second.

Honestly, second gear is usually pretty forgiving if you're rolling. In fact, you can pretty easily start a car in second gear with practice (had a car which did not like first).

As long as you brake appropriately before the turn, and keep torque throughout it, second should be fine. If not, go in with first, out with second.
>>
>>14648934
I think the proper term is 'falsetto' aka 'ungodly shrieking noise' aka 'what all 400lb euro golfcart shitboxes sound like'.
>>
>>14645431

Most old diesels don`t even need you to give it any gas, it will start going forward when releasing the clutch.
>>
>>14645414

push a consistent level on the gas, then raise the clutch gradually.

outta first every time
>>
>>14650395
Ok. Thanks. I'll try again soon.
>>
>>14645414
Dont worry OP it only gets better
I forced myself to learn stick by buying a CRX and driving it home (~40 miles on farm roads) I stalled it a million times before figuring out how to work the clutch and gas
Now its like riding a bike, I dont even think about it anymore when driving
>>
File: PicsArt_03-15-04.13.27.jpg (61KB, 700x526px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_03-15-04.13.27.jpg
61KB, 700x526px
>>14645527
Why would you do that anon?
>>
>>14650245
Motorcycle clutches are wet
>>
>>14649866
Fuck off with your offensive, yet clever collage

>>14650598
There's that
>>
>>14650598
Not all, but most Jap bikes for sure.
>>
File: 1456460739372.jpg (158KB, 920x900px) Image search: [Google]
1456460739372.jpg
158KB, 920x900px
>>14645414
You think that's bad
>ask uncle to teach me to drive when I'm like 12 he says ok cuz he was an awesome uncle,
>1st time manual 90 something toyota corolla in some empty industrial park my mom was president of,
>proceeds to teach me basics,
>Get to actual me doing me
>let foot off of clutch floor the fucking gas
>hear my uncle who is always calm and collected screaming and cussing me out
>take foot off of gas and stall
>tells me I'm not allowed to drive til I'm older
My mom yelled at my uncle because it was a company car and they had to change the transmission.
>>
>14645414
heres a tip, when I was learning manual I thought once you were letting go of the clutch you were commited and had to keep letting it out, but you can actually just keep holding it at the catch point, rev it a lil and then when you start moving you fully let go of the clutch to put it in gear. careful you don't hold the clutch while you are going though, it will burn the clutch and you will smell it.
>>
>>14645414
>stalling like a bitch
>actually thinks is ready for highways
Wait till you get your bridges lesson
>>
>not just revving it to 5k rpm and dumping the clutch
>>
>>14645414
at least a million times? fuck man....
>>
>>14652058
OP is 90, aunt is 130.
>>
>>14645473
>>14645527
>Well you'll go to sleep thinking
>"I just spent almost $5000 on a car I cannot drive"

Holy shit this. You can't help but think it; It would be weirder if you didn't. I even had a nice solo drive home from the purchase on the highway with minimal stalls that falsely boosted my confidence. Not three hours later I sat through 2-3 light intervals at an intersection just stalling over and over. Spent the next weekend just sitting in a parking lot doing the same shit. By the end of the next week I was solid, but those first few days can be fucking horrific, even if you know it's coming.
>>
>>14650411
you can get moving in any car with just clutch if you git gud. my 74hp nippoconobox will start moving even uphill if i let out slow enough
>>
I remember stalling out in on coming traffic when I was fifteen because I pretended to know how to drive stick. Glad nothing bad happened. Now I drive trucks all day long with 10/13 speed. Floating gears and playing with the clutch in traffic. Automatics really suck
>>
>>14645604
>drive big v8s for the rest of his life?

you say that like it's a bad thing
>>
Up shift at 2500 rpm. Down at 1500. If on hill, up to 3k.
>>
File: beninpuddle.png (16KB, 958x660px) Image search: [Google]
beninpuddle.png
16KB, 958x660px
I actually learned stick today. Took 40 minutes and I stalled a couple times getting it down. Stalled once in traffic at a stop because I took my foot off the clutch when sitting there out of forgetting it needs to be there. It's not hard OP just stop sucking.
>>
>>14650105
This OP. This 100%.
>>
>>14653604
It can be. I learned on a 1.6 L engine that's timing was off a tooth, and who's clutch was 95% done, which couldn't downshift to first.

Amazing that thing drove for three more years.
>>
>>14650362
Eh when this happens I just give the engine a rev and blast out of the turn
>>
>>14654076
>and who's clutch was 95% done, which couldn't downshift to first
Are you claiming the clutch was responsible for limiting 1st gear?
>>
>>14645414
>murritards
>not being able to drive manual

LELD
E
L
D
>>
>>14645451
>needing a tachometer
what the fuck man. The only thing a tach is useful for is the redline. Other than that, you should be able to tell by the sound when to shift.
People that always shift at x rpm are bitchass niggers anyways.
>>
>>14650362
>oversteer
>fwd hatchback
not really, no.
>>
File: image.jpg (172KB, 661x953px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172KB, 661x953px
>>14646129
This is my ex and the girl that taught me how to drive a stick, I taught that eating her asshole sounds weird but actually feels super good
>>
File: 550569.jpg (883KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
550569.jpg
883KB, 2560x1440px
>>14651285
whats so hard about highways you just get it to 5th or 6th and get comfy, fall asleep etc.
>>
>>14654176
>car has different noise levels
>have no idea what the rpm actually is
>km/l goes down the drain
>fail to climb hills because you think you're redlining

How can you even live without a tachometer?
>>
It all takes time brother. Some.....some were Racecarborn (dragonborn joke i guess?? Lol?)...and others must learn to master art.
>>
Taught some anon down in KCMO to manual on Friday. Dude gets fixated on the tach and is generally nervous as hell but he got the idea over the couple hours I spent teaching him. Did a couple really good handbrake hill starts, though.
>>
>>14645414
just jam it in.
>>
>>14645414
I haven't stalled a car in an ice age, maaaaybe once a month (if even that). Once you learn it, you don't really stall. Chances are, if you stalled that many times, you just had a bad teacher that didn't explain the nuances of operating the clutch very well. All the people I teach pick it up incredibly fast once I explain how everything works together and what to expect.
>>
>>14650305
Do you actually ride the clutch or do you just mean you push the clutch in and go around the turn in neutral pretty much and then get back into gear at the end of the turn?

There's several things you can do
1. Downshift to 2nd or 3rd before the turn
2.Coast through the turn in neutral and then put it in gear when you're comfort

Contrary to what you may think, you're not in a race. As long as you're not grandma coming to a full stop before a turn, you're not going to piss anyone off, so you can just coast through a turn and then drop it into whatever gear near the end and drive off. Just don't be fucking crazy and start taking turns at 30mph like that or you're going to end up hitting something.
>>
>>14654416
I hit rush hour traffic on the high way the day I bought my car which was also the day I learned to drive manual. Talk about trial by fire, fucking nightmare fuel.
>>
>>14654634
Dude most vehicles start screaming before you're even close to redlining

I learned to shift at age 10 by shifting for my dad while he drove. You learn the rhythem and sound of the engine by heart, it's obvious when you have to shift. I'd know when he would press the clutch without him telling me or looking at the tach
>>
>>14656361
But that requires you to learn about your current car.

The moment you step into a different car, you have to relearn the sounds of it instead of just looking at the tachometer.
Thread posts: 134
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.