[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I drove a manual car for the first time today. Holy hell,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

File: vlcsnap-2010-06-08-07h27m05s67.png (358KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2010-06-08-07h27m05s67.png
358KB, 720x540px
So I drove a manual car for the first time today.

Holy hell, that was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I only had 1 clean start out of upwards of 50 and about every 7/10 starts I tried I would lurch and stall it. After the miraculous first one I would end up revving the piss out of the engine and even squealing the tires, presumably because I took too long to let off the clutch and held the throttle too long in the process, but if I went any faster it would lurch and stall and was told not to let off so quickly.

What the fuck am I doing wrong? I'm trying my hardest to let off the clutch and give it throttle at the exact same rate, which is what I was told to do. Is it just a matter of trying every possible speed until I find one that works? I apparently did it correctly the first time but couldn't do it any time after. Also how abnormal is it to have this level of difficulty learning to drive stick?
>>
Give it a very small amout of revs and slowly raise the clutch without increasing the revs. Once you are moving slowly let the clutch all the way up and then give it more revs.
>TFW British and the first time I drove an auto I broke my nose on the dashboard when coming to a stop thinking the brake was the clutch
>>
It gets really easy really fast.

I've owned a manual car for about 1 month after driving automatic for 7 years. I haven't stalled it in over a week, can rev match with decent accuracy, and even heel-toe downshift smoothly about half the time.
>>
>Hold revs at 2k
>Release clutch until revs drop
>More throttle to keep revs at 2k
>Gradually let out clutch while maintaining same rev
>You did it

You basically can't do wrong as long as you let the clutch pedal out smoothly and modulate your revs. Be sure to release the pedal smoothly all the way, not just until the car is moving.
>>
sometimes it depends on the car. A truck would be a good start: most truck engines make a lot of low end torque, so it's easier to take off and not stall, and gear levers are big enough so you're never unsure of which gear it's in. i learned on a small low torque car, and i had a similar experience to you. you'll get the hang of it.
>>
>>14633037
This is the correct way to effectively burn a clutch. What you just explained to op is called "slipping" the clutch.
>>
>>14632992
>First car and daily is a manual
>Dad's auto SUV needs too be moved.
>In SUV, each foot on a pedal
>Coming to a speed bump
>Left foot forward, full throttle
>30-0 in about .02 Seconds
>>
wow 4 helpful posts in row. what board am i on
>>
>>14632992
Wait, so I can give it gas and start moving a little bit before I start releasing the clutch?
>>
>>14633078
Using the clutch to take off smoothly in any circumstance involves slipping the clutch. You're not going to burn up a clutch holding it at the engagement point for a second or two at 2 grand mate. It's perfectly normal for a new manual driver to slip the clutch more than necessary for a short while while they get the hang of it.
>>
>>14633101
Absolutely. And simply feed the throttle in gently as the revs drop when you release the clutch slowly.
>>
>>14633111
Misread slightly - the car won't start rolling until you've released the clutch enough for it to start engaging. You simply bring the revs up first so you have a bit more to work with as the clutch engages and the revs drop naturally. You don't want to be idling at 800 RPM and have the revs drop to 400 as you take off, as the motor will chug and it will be shit. You want to aim to keep your revs between 1200 and 2000 whie you're taking off until you've released the clutch fully.

Also trips
>>
>>14633099
kids still have bed times during weekends
>>
>>14633152
>>14633111 Checked

This helps. I was going about it all wrong I guess.
>>
>>14633190
Glad to help :)
And remember, if in doubt, jam the clutch back to the floor. If your revs are dropping too low and you're lurching all over the place, just clutch in and leave the throttle, and try again. It's a good habit to form to save yourself from stalling.
>>
>>14632936
Is the car you're driving a cable clutch or something?
>>
>>14632936
master starting without the throttle

then master starting with a tiny bit of throttle
>>
>>14633037
This is how I taught myself.
>>
>>14633712
this. once you get no throttle starts down you'll be good to go
>>
>>14632936

Best thing you can do is read and learn how a car clutch works and how the engine motion translates to the wheels turning.

Then you'll easily understand how to properly drive.
>>
File: o-auto.jpg (49KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
o-auto.jpg
49KB, 720x540px
>>14632936
HOOOOLY SHIT AMERICLAPS
How do you be this dumb, I literally got in my first time and I am a barely good with clutchwork.
Just lightly release the clutch.
If you are incapable of doing it with just the clutch, heres a dummy guide, release the clutch lightly and counter proportionally to the amount of throttle you apply.
>>
>>14635835
I'm Canadian lel

You're giving me the same advice as the what I was told to do before. Maybe I just need more practice to get a better feel for it.
>>
>>14632936
>He's this bad at driving
>>
>>14632936
release brake until just enough to keep vehicle not going backwards, then while holding brake release clutch slowly until engagement point, then release brake gently and give trottle slowly while releasing clutch gently ... don't count revs, just feel the clutch
>>
>>14632936
Sigh.
>you feel car stalling
More throttle.

>it revs but doesnt move forward
Less clutch.

Its actually as easy as that.
>>
>>14636027
Not that simple, you're forgetting that OP needs to find the biting point where the clutch catches.

OP. Put the Handbrake on and try to find the exact point on the clutch where the car feels like it 'wants' to go forward.
Keep a few revs going and gradually release the clutch from the fully down position, and memorise where the lurch position is on the clutch.
Once you get there, release the Handbrake and practice smoothly taking off. Then practice doing u slow u-turns, pressing the clutch in and catching again. See just how slow you can go and keep the engine going
>>
>>14632936
When I teach people to drive a manual, I always put them in a turdbox with a really easy clutch (i.e. Volkswagen Golf, ect). The easiest thing to do, is at a dead stop, let the clutch out slowly, until the engine starts to bog down. When it does, hold the clutch there. Then slowly apply more gas. As the car starts to move, slowly release the clutch the rest of the way. This is the same basic process, except done on a much faster scale, in normal stop and go conditions.
>>
I just started driving so I don't have tips, but don't worry about sucking your first time. Before I got my car, I drove my friend's Jeep every now and then because I wanted to learn how to drive manual, and I consistently sucked, never got any better. Once I had my own car to practice with though, it only took me about two days of driving to get the hang of it.
>>
Make sure you're in a RWD with either a welded, or a limited slip diff. Then you want to bring the revs up to about 5k, turn the steering wheel full lock either left or right, and violently remove your foot from the clutch. Keep your foot flat on the accelerator and adjust steering as necessary until you get laid.
>>
File: hBE1A0D25.jpg (80KB, 500x629px) Image search: [Google]
hBE1A0D25.jpg
80KB, 500x629px
>>14636835
>This is actually what Dagumi kids believe
>>
>>14632936
What really helped me learn was focusing on the "bite point" of the clutch. There will be a point when you're releasing the clutch where the fly wheel catches and the engine starts to engage the transmission, then a distance of approximately a few inches where you bring the clutch from "biting" to fully engaged. This is the area you will want to be conscious of.

When I was first learning, I would apply some gas then bring the clutch to this area. The car would start moving, and as soon as you feel the transmission engage, you can release the clutch. Doing it like this isn't the smoothest way to shift, but it gets you comfortable with getting into gear and shifting between gears. As you become more comfortable, you will learn to apply gas and release the clutch in tandem, gradually, in a manner that smoothly transitions the car into gear.
>>
File: 728408125_gK4xk-L.jpg (84KB, 772x600px) Image search: [Google]
728408125_gK4xk-L.jpg
84KB, 772x600px
>>14632936
Here's how a clutch works.

Now you understand that it isn't a switch.
>>
>>14632936
op listen to >>14633712

all you have to do is slowly, and i mean FUCKING slowly, left off the clutch, and by slowly i mean FUCKING slowly. driving an automatic has conditioned us to just not care about the pressure on the pedal, but manual has everything to do with pressure on pedals and learning to control it

so have ur dad or someone drive u the back of a shopping maul or something or an open parking lot in a not highly trafficed location, and just practice
>>
>>14636835
skidz ooonnnnn

>yes boiiii
>>
>>14633098
"brakes work"
>>
>>14632936
dont give it throttle,
release the clutch slowly till you feel it engage,
pratice that(feeling the engagement).
then do add some throttle(proportional to release speed of clutch) & release it once engaged (more or less smoothly depends on rev & kind of start u want).
>>
File: Tampa Miata.jpg (32KB, 336x450px) Image search: [Google]
Tampa Miata.jpg
32KB, 336x450px
I want my next car to be manual don't want to fuck the car up learning how to drive it. What do?
>>
>>14639318
>easy
rent a manual car, practice on it.
>>
>>14639318
free jew way
go to a dealership and test drive. or find someone on CL selling.
Get them to teach you to ride around in parking lot.

Don't be a bitch way
Do one test drive of the car you want and drive it home in traffic
>>
My bud learned how to drive manual. He stalled quite a bit and revved it up pretty high a whole bunch of times. It took him a solid 15 minutes to not stall within 10 seconds. And this was with me teaching him.
>>
>>14638462
Actually bruised my collarbone on the seatbelt. Wasnt expecting that. Thought I was pushing in the clutch, oops. Also how do people drive with one foot on each pedal in an automatic? My left foot is so heavy.
>>
>>14639386
Do they?
Every automatic I've ever been in I only use my right foot. You only ever need to hit one pedal at a time, after all
>>
>>14639392
Not everyone, in fact most people probably don't. But I do know a few people that do.
>>
>>14639318
Buy a shitbox or farm truck for $700 on cl
>>
How can anyone have a hard time with a manual?
My first car was a stick, stalled 3 times the first drive cause i had to back it out of the lot. Stalled maybe twice after that.
>>
>>14639386
autos only need one foot per pedal at time

unless you're shingoing and left foot braking your 93 civic
>>
>>14639464
Read
>>14639404
>>
>>14633712
This is the way i teach people. Once you learn how the clutch works it will be 100 times easier. Don't over complicate it by trying to have specific revs and balance this and that. Practice with no revs, learn how the clutch works and once you have a feel for it start adding revs slowly. Then practice practice. Ive only even owned manual cars, i barely ever if at all look at my rpm for daily driving.
>>
>>14639318
Get one of your friends who isn't a bitch like you to teach you how to drive it after you buy it.
>>
>>14639485
I can't read
>>
>>14632992
>set parking break trying to clutch in an automagic
Kek

I'm surprised I haven't done this out of habit in the gfs car though to be honest
>>
>>14639336

Do rental companies even have manuals in their fleets these days?
>>
>>14639846
OP here

No they don't, at least anywhere near where I live. They say they don't for liability reasons, such as myself I guess.
>>
I'm an autofag at the moment, but I've used manuals a little when I was young, what I do, is release the clutch in 1st while idling until it starts to catch, that I give it gas while fully releasing the clutch and going about my business, minimizes stalls and wear.
>>
>>14639318
Buy a beater that's on its way out, bring a buddy to see if the transmission feels decent so you don't get any bad habits from that part of things. Wreck the car, then part it out or junkyard it.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.