[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

These days, which is more fuel efficient for the average driver,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: post-212653-13032200661448167179.jpg (500KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
post-212653-13032200661448167179.jpg
500KB, 1024x682px
These days, which is more fuel efficient for the average driver, manual or auto? Also pic unrelated.
>>
Manual. Some autos are really good on new high tier cars, but manual is still more energy efficient.
>>
For an "average" driver who has no clue what the tachometer is, what it does, nor how the car gears operate, an automatic is more fuel efficient.

For someone willing to do an hour of research, a manual.

Generally, depends on the car. Go for the manual, be a better driver.
>>
Also, what about a given number of speeds auto vs CVT?
>>
>>14608908
Efficient or not, I will always own a manual. Anyone that enjoys the art and synchronization of man:machine will not be satisfied with any form of automatic. I've driven an M3 with their SMG transmission and as good as it is, blipping the steering wheel pedals for a quick kickdown to 2nd before making a left still doesn't compare to doing the work yourself with that glorious third pedal.
>>
>>14608908
Manual but the gap isnt that large anymore
>>
>>14608931

CVT is the most efficient.

Constant Speed Drive mang, in terms of efficiency no other transmission type can compete.
>>
>>14608916
>an "average" driver who has no clue what the tachometer is, what it does, nor how the car gears operate

I definitely wouldn't call that an average driver. Mediocre at best.
>>
>>14608908
It has more to do with how heavy your right foot is than what your left foot is doing while driving.
>>
>>14608931
CVT is theoretically more efficient, but iirc in practice the transmission itself induces more power loss than the traditional autoboxes
>>
If you're driving a V8 that's more than 10 years old you can get dramatically better fuel economy with a manual plus they're more reliable and less expensive if you do need to repair them. You can also get power instantly when you want it. The only bad part is that you have to be pretty skilled with a manual for it to beat the exact same setup with an automatic on the 1/4 mile and making mistakes under heavy acceleration CAN damage your car.
>>
>>14609749
Mediocre is literally synonymous with average.
>>
>>14608908
Manual, because it's lighter and the 'average' driver will learn to drive their damn car.
>>
>>14609000
Nice trips. Too bad you're just another /o/ troll for "muh glorious manual". When you're 70 and your knees are shot and you've got two new hips that don't sync right, I guarundamntee you'll be driving an auto trans.

Jeez, I wish this stupid meme would die...
>>
>>14609764
/thread.

In today's modern autos it all depends on how you throttle. A manual will tend to bring out the animal in you, thus reducing fuel efficiency.
>>
>>14609885
>Autofag detected
>>
Auto.

The difference between manual and auto these days is almost nothing. It's so small you could actually take into account the human energy spent on shifting which would mean you're eating slightly more food therefore making manual more expensive.

Auto is boring though so there's that.
>>
>>14609812
This and most are unreliable
>>
>>14609826
On a quarter mile setup a auto will beat a Manuel 9/10 times. But I don't see drag racing as a"drivers" sport. It's a mechanics sport. All the driver has to do is smash the gas and keep it between the lines.
Inb4 muh throttle control and blah blah.
But on the drag strip is the only place an auto had the advantage over a Manuel.
>>
>>14609885
Automatic trans have their place. But as someone who hauls with their truck regularly you can't ignore the fact that most semi's on the road are still Manuel
>>
>>14609000
I will alway own an automatic because you're a faggot
>>
File: 12361341857.jpg (524KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
12361341857.jpg
524KB, 1440x1080px
>>14608913
A 6.6L manual is as efficient as a 7.5L auto.
>>
>>14609885
when he's 70 self driving cars will be ubiquitous and driving your own car will be illegal

I will never buy an automatic car
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.