[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have an automatic car sitting in my backyard that I have to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (50KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 443x332px
I have an automatic car sitting in my backyard that I have to push, it's lost a seal and just pumps all the fluid out. Where the car is sitting I can't lift it, and some bright spark thought putting the filler under the car was a good idea.

If I shift it from park to neutral and it makes no sound other than it changing gear, am I in the clear?, do autos grind or make any other noticeable sounds if shits fucking up?
>>
>>14607504
As long as it isn't like an electrical connection from the shifter to the transmission. In which case you're still okay but will need power to make it work.
Why didn't you just put it in neutral and push the car to see if it went in?
>>
>>14607527
Have to steer, car doesn't steer unless it's running and doesn't start in neutral
>>
>>14607529
It shifts in to neutral fine, but doesn't seem to have enough to actually engage any other gears
>>
Just disconnect one side of the driveshaft before you push it
>>
>>14607529
OH I see what you're trying to say. You want to know if you can turn the car on and then put it in neutral to push it, even though there is no fluid?

The answer is almost certainly yes.
>>
>>14607542
Yeah, it's not going to try engaging anything and blow up?
>>
>>14607551
Most torque converters need transmission fluid supplied from the transmission.

Since you have an empty transmission it won't have any and wont be spinning. Therefore nothing will be happening in your gearbox besides gear selection.

Even if it was spinning nothing bad should happen, so you're double okay.
>>
>>14607542
wh... why are you turning the engine on? What does that achieve?
>>
>>14607573
Here's some more assurance, since you're having doubts.

My car is automatic and I pulled up too far at a light that was on a slight incline today.

Instead of reversing back, I put the car in neutral and let it roll back wards until I was behind the line again.

Engine was on and plenty of shit was going on inside the gearbox, but putting it in neutral just lets it roll.
>>
>>14607591
Apparently it's the only way his steering lock is released.
>>
>>14607591
Steering won't unlock unless the car is on
>>
>>14607504
only thing you should be careful it's about heat if the box still has some ATF, because that shit crystallizes when overheated. Most cars service/owners manual say how much kilometers and speed could the car be pushed without damage to trans. If the car is RWD, most secure option it's to disconnect the driveshaft from the gearbox.
>>
>>14607602
>>14607612
There's no way this is the case, it would be a huge safety issue if a car was made that way. It just doesn't have power steering, have to put more effort into it, might feel like it won't turn if you are on grass or something but it's possible
>>
>>14607612
>>14607602
just turn the key to the "run" position, where it springs back to after you start it.
then all functions will be unlocked without starting the engine.
>>
>>14607660
Usually that starts the power steering pump right?, I'll go out and check.
>>
>>14607673
The power steering pump runs off a belt under engine power. Are you going to try to fix this yourself? This won't end well.
>>
>>14607673
nope it's driven by the engine. Are you about to realize that you couldn't do it because you're too wimpy?
>>
File: image.jpg (173KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173KB, 750x1334px
>>14607673
Never mind looks like I'm just a weak fuck, wheels unlocked even though there isn't a battery in it.

Pic is the leak, most I've done is change engine oil and the filter and fluid on this transmission, going to attempt to rip this out and change the seal
>>
>>14607673
man if you cant even turn a steering wheel without power steering you're in for some trouble
>>
>>14607689
>>14607688
Just new to this, now I know for next time. I thought power steering was electric, speaking of the belt that has to be changed too
>>
>>14607711
I didn't actually put any effort in to turning it the first time, seeing as it had a battery and I thought the pump was electric

You guys were clueless too at one point
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.